MJ & Stephanie Mills Interview, 1977

HeavenSent

Got this from the KOP board, no link provided.  I happen to think this is very cute.  Stephanie seemed um...very clingy at the end!

MICHAEL JACKSON 1977

Andy Warhol, Catherine Guinness, and Susan Blond were on the scene for this interview with Jackson. It took place at the Park Avenue nightspot Regine's. The lady who asked Jackson to dance at the end is Stephanie Mills, the star of The Wiz. The piece was published in March 1977. It was redacted by Chris Hemphill.

SUSAN BLOND: How many millions of records have you sold altogether? Eighty?

MICHAEL JACKSON: Sixty.

SB: When we signed the Jacksons on Epic, we also, in that deal, set it up so they'll put out Michael Jackson albums, too.

ANDY WARHOL: Great. Do you have any dogs?

MJ: I have three--a Doberman and two German shepherds.

Related Results AW: Three scary dogs. Why do you have three scary dogs?

MJ: They guard our house.

SB: Tell him about your parrot.

AW: He talks? What does he say?

MJ: He's crazy. He laughs, he cries, he says hello, he says goodbye, he sings opera. . . .

AW: Really? What operas?

MJ: He's crazy. Barry White gave him to me for Christmas.

SB: Today, right before this interview, Michael went to the zoo here because he really loves that kind of stuff.

MJ: I used to have a lot of animal birds but I had to get rid of them. I had a peacock, an ostrich. . .

SB: In your house? Walking around?

MJ: Yeah, we used to. We moved from there. We moved because the homes were too close. We built a studio in the house--sixteen-track, you know, and everything--and when we'd rehearse the neighbors would complain. So we moved.

AW: What movie stars complained? All of them?

MJ: Only one movie star complained. Frank Sinatra lived right above us.

AW: He complained?

MJ: No, he never complained. But his balcony was right over us.

AW: Really? Did you ever see him?

MJ: Yeah, I've seen him lots of times.

AW: But on the balcony?

MJ: Never on the balcony.

AW: Oh.

MJ: Do you have any pictures of yourself? Could you send me one?

AW: I'll send you one of me if you send me one of you.

SB: Oh, that's cute.

MJ: Do you know Stevie Wonder?

AW: I met him once when he was playing with Mick Jagger at Madison Square Garden? He's really great. I gave him a camera for a present and he was taking pictures with it but I don't know if he ever, ahh . . .

STEPHANIE MILLS: C'mon, Michael, let's dance.

MJ: Let me watch. ...

SM: Oh, c'mon, Michael, please . . .

MJ: It's just I'm not used to dancin' if . . .

SB: If he's not paid for it.

SM: Michael, Michael . . .

MJ: I'm going to watch. I don't like to be put on the spot.

CATHERINE GUINNESS: If a young lady asks you to dance, you can't refuse.

SM: Michael, please. Michael, Michael, Michael . . . [MJ agrees to get up and dance.]

MissSophia

Well damn Stephanie! LOL    I would have died to have seen Michael's face when he finally gave in to her.  Bet he rolled his eyes.

Aw, this interview's cute.

Teva

Where do you guys find this stuff?  I thought I had reach the end of the Michael Jackson internet, and tonight you bring more! :cool:

MissSophia

[quote name="Teva"]
Where do you guys find this stuff?  I thought I had reach the end of the Michael Jackson internet, and tonight you bring more! :cool:
[/quote]
I know, huh?!  Actually, I KNOW there's a lot out there that I haven't seen or heard, especially when Mike's candid or laid back.

This tickled me.

Saphster

[quote name="Teva"]
[/quote]

Because we're dedicated stalkers. Nah i'm just playing lol  :p

This is my first time ever reading this. There's so many Michael Jackson interviews and pics I've yet to see. It's always exciting for me!

OneMoreChance

[quote name="Teva"]
[/quote]

That's one of the great things about being a Michael fan. Just when you think you have seen it all something pops up that melts your heart!

Juniorlady

I was laughing while reading that Stephanie was begging Michael to dance with him. They must have been dating during this time.