MTV bans \'offensive\' videos

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
MTV bans 'offensive' videos

Dig out your bobby socks, saddle oxfords and poodle skirts everybody ... it's the 50's again!

I don't know if you have heard of the ridiculous new censorship that is occurring throughout media, but it is starting to scare me.

Damn Janet Jackson and her stupid nipple! Because of that one incident, many videos have now been pulled from rotation on MTV.

Some of the videos that were either edited or restricted to late night play include Incubus' video for the song "Megalomaniac," Britney Spears' "Toxic," and Blink 182's "I Miss You."

Britney's rhinestone costume is too "revealing," even though it is a flesh colored body suit with rhinestones on the outside, she shows nothing inappropriate and the outfit covers her from head to toe. Sure, there is the illusion that she is naked with rhinestones glued to her skin, but that only occurs in the heads of those wanting to see her nude. She won't look like that forever; age will one day take its toll. As my grandmother used to remind me, "If you got it, flaunt it," it won't last forever.

Blink's video "I Miss You" has a scene in which two girls kiss each other. They are fully clothed and it is really not all that erotic in my opinion. I find it odd that roommates having lots of sex on the "Real World" or public orgies on shows like "Elimidate" aren't singled out also. The people in those shows are far more scantily dressed and these are reality based shows.

A video is arguably art, but trash shows like the aforementioned certainly are not the least bit artistic. They are supposed to represent "reality."

Now really, how many of us spend our Saturday nights getting soused and kissing three girls at a time? If you say you do, you're confusing your dreams with reality, or you're shelling out a whole lot of money to make it happen.

The Incubus ban is the most confusing to me. The explanation, according to Rolling Stone, is because there are images of Hitler and people drinking oil. Yes, Hitler is a scumbag and yes his image is offensive, but listen to the words, for crying out loud. "Megalomaniac/ You're no Jesus/ Yeah, you're no f***ing Elvis..." They are not exactly exalting the man.

I remember the days when getting banned from MTV really meant something.
There was Prodigy's "Smack My B***h Up," (Which I think is actually a metaphor for heroin), because it "promoted domestic violence," and Madonna's "Like a Prayer" because it offended religious people, namely Catholics.

(continued at the website....subscription required now)
Source: www.easttennessean.com/news/2004/03/ 11/Viewpoint/Mtv-Bans.offensive.Videos-631317.shtml