Nancy \'disGrace\' Slapped with a Lawsuit (Nov 22 2006)

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Parents sue Nancy Grace, say show led to suicide

By Stephen Hudak
Tribune Newspapers: Orlando Sentinel
Published November 22, 2006

ORLANDO -- The parents of a woman who committed suicide after an interview with Nancy Grace filed suit Tuesday against the CNN Headline News talk show host. They say the ex-prosecutor is responsible for their daughter's death because of an insensitive, fist-pounding television interview.

The wrongful-death lawsuit accuses Grace and her producers of luring Melinda Duckett onto the show by misrepresenting their intentions to help find her missing 2-year-old son, Trenton.

"I believe it to be an ambush," plaintiffs lawyer Kara Skorupa said. The lawsuit, which claims intentional infliction of emotional distress, seeks an undisclosed amount of monetary and punitive damages from Grace and Cable News Network.

Melinda Duckett's parents, Beth and William Eubank of Lockport, N.Y., also want a judge to stop Grace and the network from rebroadcasting the interview. They say they and their younger daughter have sought psychological counseling to deal with emotional distress from the "continual and excessive airing of the interview."

CNN Headline News said in a statement, "We stand by Nancy Grace and fully support her, as we have from the beginning of this matter."

The show probed Trenton's Aug. 27 disappearance from his mother's Leesburg, Fla., apartment. Melinda Duckett killed herself with a shotgun at her grandparents' home in The Villages, Fla., Sept. 8, a day after Grace's interview. The taped interview was broadcast hours after the suicide.

The boy's father, Joshua Duckett, has also appeared on the show. He lashed out at the suit and his ex-wife's parents, who never met him or Trenton. The boy remains missing.

Skorupa and law partner Jay Paul Deratany described the interview as an attack in which Grace implied that the 21-year-old mother had murdered her only child.

Police have since labeled Melinda Duckett as the prime suspect in his disappearance.

Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...,1,1588925.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

mcilroga

This has been an ongoing thing, but, until now, there had been no legal action taken...

The bitch is going down.

miss

Jail the bitch and throw away the key!!!!

Finally! what goes around comes around

I hope this hoe will forever be tainted by this

To be fair, I'm not quite sure if what Nancy said was the DIRECT cause of this woman's death by suicide (and I again choose to remain neutral because I want to be non-hypocritical, take the high road..and afford her that same right she so often denies to others), but it DOES feel good to see her be taken to task for her actions, all the same. Whether the interview alone drove this woman to her death is, I guess, yet to be seen. But Nancy IS out of line on a LOT of the ish she says on that show..a LOT of what her and her guests go on about on there borders on libel, so yeah, she SHOULD watch out..and be held accountable for her words. That is, after all, part of what Free Speech entails..

Black Loafers;176564 said:
YAY! Hope she stays in jail forever and that she gets diagnosed with cancer. MOHAHAHA!

She wouldn't go to jail for this, though..it's a civil lawsuit. She'd only be out a lot of money if she lost...;) lol.

mcilroga

InspirationMoonwalks;176565 said:
She wouldn't go to jail for this, though..it's a civil lawsuit. She'd only be out a lot of money if she lost...;) lol.

Not to mention a plethora of viewers. :lol

InspirationMoonwalks said:
To be fair, I'm not quite sure if what Nancy said was the DIRECT cause of this woman's death by suicide

No, it isn't. But the way Nancy hammered her on National TV certainly did not help. Nancy should get what she deserves for that.

Saphster

Black Loafers;176564 said:
YAY! Hope she stays in jail forever and that she gets diagnosed with cancer. MOHAHAHA!

I'm not too found of Grace but you should never wish anything bad upon anyone! The cancer comment was wayyy too far.

And in my opinion it is sort of an ambush because she didn't tell the woman to kill herself. She did pressure her with her questions and heavy tone, BUT the woman should've known that......

IF you go on national television, and appear on a show with Nancy Grace after everyone is blaming you on killing your child. The entire world is against you and you can't even answer the question "Where were you?" That's not a very smart thing to do....especially when you're in a very depressed state.

Now, ya'll I'm not on anyone's side here okay. Just seeing everything from both sides of the table here.

Yesssss!! Karma, baby! woooo...

I was pretty upset when I learned the woman commited suicide after that interview, but I really never expected a lawsuit!.....AWESOME!

Black Loafers

InspirationMoonwalks;176565 said:

Ooh..! :icrackingup I totally misunderstood! I'm so stupid HAHAHA

mysteriousone

glittergloved_one;176588 said:
Yesssss!! Karma, baby! woooo...

I was pretty upset when I learned the woman commited suicide after that interview, but I really never expected a lawsuit!.....AWESOME!

I second that, Heather! :D

Mysti!

TruthSeeker

Sue the pants off her!!! That woman I'm telling you if I was right behind her while she was on the air I would SO give her a :chairbeat