Night Terrors

Billie

OK, im visiting my dad for the summer and he just moved into a new house so there was no internet access up until today. so im a little behind on things. i guess i'll re-post the other chapters form the old forum soon and then once i am back home i will post the new chapter.

Billie

Prologue

Katie walked swiftly down the dark alleyway, struggling to keep her panic down. God, how she hated walking home from work every night. It was always the same route, yet she always had the sense of being followed. And her senses seemed to be doubled tonight. The hair on her arms and the back of neck prickled, and her heart fluttered uncertainly. She screamed as a garbage can fell over. A black cat scurried across the alleyway and out of sight. She forced a small laugh and breathed a sigh of relief. She looked up at the sky. The moon was full, not a cloud was in sight. Her breath caught in her throat as a mournful, animal cry pierced the night air. Coyote, she thought, or maybe a wolf. She started walking again. She heard the almost silent footfalls and assumed they were her own echoing off the narrow alleyway walls. She saw her car up ahead, and inwardly shouted with joy. She managed a short gasp as something softly touched her neck. She turned sharply and was staring into dark, icy blue eyes. Her vision clouded, and the last thing she saw before she fainted were a set of the sharpest teeth she’d ever seen.

Billie

Chapter 1:

Lucy felt as though her legs were made of lead, yet she ran on. Her life depended on it. She felt the heat of torches, and the yells of the mob behind her. But they were finally falling behind. She smiled grimly. Her smile died on her lips. Up ahead there was a fallen tree covered in blood. She could smell the blood from where she was, about three metres away, and it instantly put her on her guard. It was blood from a werewolf, and it was fairly fresh. Her eyes darted quickly around, taking in her surroundings and analyzing them. There was a small opening in the fence to her right, and she ducked into a roll, her aim taking her perfectly through the hole. She stood quickly and glanced around. She heard a low, throaty growl, and jumped to her left just as heavy paws slammed into the ground where she had stood a moment before. An angry growl escaped the creature. Lucy was staring into the face of a lycan she did not know. He was bleeding in several places, which explained the bloodstained tree. After the initial attack, he did not seem like he wanted to try and hurt her again. In fact, he looked exhausted. Lucy surveyed him with a disdainful interest. He was a darker brown then the other lycans she had seen, almost black. His eyes were a bright, fiery green, and seemed the only part of him that was completely alert. He seemed to be scanning her as well, she noticed. She was breathing heavily, as was he. She suddenly remembered the crowd that had been chasing her, and her ears tried to locate them. She didn’t need to. The foremost man, (Marcus, she though his name was, he was some sort of town magistrate.) poked his head through the hole, spotting her and smiling evilly. He then noticed the lycan, and his smile faded slightly, his face paling. He bit his lip undecidedly, before pulling his head quickly out of the hole with a yell of defeat. Lucy heard him telling the crowd what was on the other side of the fence. Some screamed and immediately ran back the way they had come. Lucy laughed inwardly. Cowards, she thought. She focused her attention back to the lycan, eyeing him warily. He seemed to have relaxed a little, and she began to calm down a little. She even looked away to study herself. She had a wide gash on her lower right arm, and few small cuts here and there, but that seemed to be the extent of her injuries. Movement from the corner of her eye made her snap her head back up, tensing herself to fight. The werewolf had stumbled backward; his eyes seemed no longer alert, but looking in a great amount of pain. Lucy followed his gaze upwards. A cloud had passed over the moon. Lucy completely relaxed. This was why she did not recognize this new lycan. It was because he himself was a recent addition to Gideon’s tribe, as he called it. He fell to his knees, howling. His fur began to fall, and his clawed hands ripped at it. His body shrunk and his snout shortened. His ears receded, and he fell to the ground, rolling and writhing. He turned over onto his stomach and lay still. Lucy was now looking at the shape of a man. He had shoulder length hair, the same dark brownish black of the fur she had seen. His body was toned, and he was actually quite good-looking she saw. His breathing was shallow and painful. She crouched down and rolled him over. He flinched at her touch, but his eyes were wide and alert, the same fiery green. She sat him up slowly.

“When were you bitten?” she demanded. He looked at her uncertainly.

“Last…night.” He said between breaths. Her lips curled in amusement.

“You’ll want to watch where you go, this is our territory. I would leave if I were you.” She stood up quickly. “Mordecai will not be as kind as I am with a lycan who is as vulnerable as you are right now.” She turned on her heel and walked away in the direction of Mordecai’s estate, careful to listen for sounds of the lycan following her, and keeping an eye on the cloud over the moon. If it should be uncovered, she would have to run for it, new as this lycan may be.

Billie

Chapter 2:

Gabriel had been a quiet child. No one had ever really liked him; they all thought he was too weird. He had always had a fascination for “creatures of the night” as his mother always called them. He preferred terms like lycanthropes and vampires. As a child, his room had been decorated by garlic hanging all over the place, particularly around his door and windows. On his night table there was a crucifix, a vial of holy water and a wooden stake, and when he had turned sixteen his mother bought him a small pistol complete with 4 silver bullets. He had never had to use them. He had literally thousands of books all about werewolves, vampires, mummies, and all those kind of things. Kids at school used to joke that he would come into class one day and kill everyone with that pistol after Gabriel had made the mistake of telling the class about it for part of an English project. His one actual friend had been a girl named Tobi MacKinney. She had moved to his school in the middle of grade nine. Tobi had been almost the complete opposite of Gabriel. She was loud, outgoing, rowdy, bitchy, however you wanted to interpret it, and everyone in school loved her immediately. There was just something about her that attracted people to her, like sheep. Even the teachers all loved her and practically worshipped the ground she walked on. So when Tobi walked up to Gabriel’s locker one day after science class, no one understood why. She didn’t say anything, just walked up to him and stood there staring at his locker for a few moments. The hallway was silent. Some people had disbelieving looks on their faces. Others had smirks, they thought maybe she was going to make fun of him. Some were just plain confused (Gabriel included). Gabriel’s locker was adorned with photos, and a small wooden stake duct taped to it. Garlic was hanging from the top. And instead of school books there were tons of books about vampires, and other creatures. The silence was deafening. Gabriel couldn’t take it.

“Can I help you?” he asked, amazed at how steady his voice was. Tobi started, as though she’d been daydreaming, and then turned, smiling pleasantly at him.

“Nope.” She simply said, and turned to walk away. She looked back at him, her eyes sparkling with excitement, and whispered, “But I think we can help each other.” Gabriel had stood rooted to the spot as she walked down the hallway and turned into a classroom. The hallway exploded with noise.

“What did she say?”
“Why was she talking to him?”
“Did she ask him out?”
“What just happened?”

Everyone was talking about it. Gabriel’s face was flushed. Tobi’s face poked out of the classroom and she beckoned to him. Gabriel slammed his locker shut, clicking the double lock he had put on it, and slowly walked down to the classroom. Everyone’s eyes followed him. Gabriel’s level of self-confidence plummeted off a cliff so high, it seemed to never stop falling. Finally he reached the classroom, hesitating by the doorway, trying to decide whether or not to go in. He didn’t need to; he was yanked inside by Tobi, who was unusually strong for her size. His books flew from his hands. Tobi slammed the door. She had no time for social formalities.

“How long have you been searching?” she demanded. Gabriel had no idea what she was talking about. His face was blank. She sighed. “For vampires.” She said, as if this should have been obvious, (which it kind of was). Recognition dawned on his face, and Tobi smiled.

“Uhhh, since I can remember, I guess.” He said. He felt so stupid, he wished he could have had some cool answer for her, but hey, you win some you lose some.

“Me too,” she confessed. “We could search together…” she had trailed off, her face reddening slightly. They’d become best friends after that day. They were inseparable; you never saw one of them without the other. Tobi lost most of her popularity, but she didn’t care. She and Gabriel had more important things to do.
By the time they graduated, Tobi had stayed a knockout, and Gabriel had turned into what every girl at the school wanted. In other words, he was pretty damn good-looking. He had gained popularity because of his looks, but people still thought he was kind of weird. By then, Gabriel and Tobi had become more than just friends. They were planning to get married in a year or two, and were moving in together a month after graduation. But it was not meant to stay that way. Every month since that day in grade nine, Tobi and Gabriel had gone on expeditions to mostly graveyards, although sometimes it had been a forest where unusual amounts of dead animals were turning up. They never actually found anything those times they were in school, but two weeks after they had graduated (at the tops of their class too), they had gone on another expedition. This one was out of town, in a graveyard that was well-known because it was so big. They had found something then. Not quite the something they had expected. They had come upon a foot sticking out from behind a mausoleum. There was no body attached to that foot. Eager to find out if this was a victim of one of their shared obsessions, they had forgotten their own safety. The something they found was not a monster, nor in fact anything alive or dead (or undead, for that matter.) They had gone running after a large coyote carrying an arm from the grave of a man who had died a few days before. They had chased it into the woods, and Tobi had insisted on chasing it further. Gabriel had protested, they had no flashlights or anything to protect themselves, or see where they were going. Tobi had laughed and run off after the disappearing coyote. They were separated for the first time in almost four years. Gabriel searched for hours, calling out Tobi’s name. He ran back to car to find her cell phone, and made a call to the police. The police showed up 30 minutes later, but would not let Gabriel help them search. They wanted to know he and Tobi were at the graveyard in the first place. Gabriel told them about his and Tobi’s passion for night creatures, and the police just shook their heads, telling Gabriel how stupid the two of them were.

The police found Tobi early the next morning, lying unconscious at the bottom of an abandoned well shaft. Gabriel had been devastated. The police told him it was a miracle he had not fallen down the well when he had been searching for her.

Tobi was in the hospital in critical condition for three days. Her legs had been shattered, her arm was broken, she’d lost two of her fingers on her left hand (one was her ring finger), her skull was fractured, and the doctor’s believed she had some brain damage. Gabriel was by her side from the time she was admitted into the hospital. He sat and watched her mostly, praying for her to wake up. When she did, it was not what Gabriel had expected.

Billie

i seem to be missing about 2 other chapters from the old site...so i guess i have to wait until im home to get those ones too, oh well

Billie

ok, so i'm home now.

Chapter 3:

When Lucy turned 21, the year was 1796. Her life was perfect. She was to marry a wealthy man, Christopher Parris, who her father had chosen from a list of many suitable men. Lucy was pleased with her father’s choice. This man was young, 27, and he was not a pig-headed idiot like so many of the other men. He was handsome and quite the gentleman. His father had died and left him a large fortune when Parris was only 19.

The wedding ceremony had gone as planned up until the wedding night. Parris turned out to be not so gentlemanly after all. He had a penchant for sex that Lucy was uncomfortable with, and she had already been slapped twice for correcting him. However, her job was to please her new husband, and so when he told her to undress herself, she left the room to do so. He waited in the bedroom. As Lucy obediently undressed, she heard glass shatter, a yell from Parris, and a lot of scuffling sounds. There was the sound of splintering wood and then a high-pitched, inhuman shriek. There were two thuds, one after the other, and then silence. Lucy was now completely naked, her ivory skin glowed in the candlelight. She crept back to the bedroom. There were two bodies on the floor. One was her new husband, the other was a woman Lucy had never seen before. Her golden-red hair was billowed behind her, and her skin was paler even than Lucy’s. She was impaled through the chest by a piece of the table that had stood next to the bed, which explained the splintering wood sound. Lucy stood in shocked horror, as realization dawned on her. The woman’s canine teeth were longer and sharper than ordinary. Lucy stood transfixed as she watched the teeth recede slowly until they were barely longer than the other teeth, yet still very noticeable. She gasped as the woman’s eyes snapped open. The woman coughed up blood, spitting it at Lucy contemptuously, but she could not get up. She was literally nailed to the floor. Lucy uttered a scream as a hand clamped on her shoulder like a vice, spinning her slowly around. She was helpless. A man stood there, pale as moonlight. His eyes were like blue ice, his gaze hard as steel. His eyes looked her over, and she saw slight amusement in them.

“Mordecai…” the woman on the floor coughed. “Mordecai, help me.” The man smiled, revealing the same pointed canines as well.

“Ahh…no, I do not think I will, your highness. I believe if you die, that would make me the leader of our little coven, wouldn’t you agree?” he replied dispassionately.

“Mordecai, this is…no time…for games…Now…I command you…to…h-help me.” The woman’s strength was failing. The man’s eyes remained cold and unfeeling, his smile never faltering.

“Hmm, I believe I have found a suitable replacement, dearest Abigail, and she is young, and much nicer to look at then you…your grace.” He added with a smirk.

“Mordecai, I’ll…” her body shuddered and lay still. Lucy watched in revulsion as her body began to age rapidly, turning into a skeleton, and then to dust.

“I always knew she was too stubborn to die quickly, the older ones always are.” The man said thoughtfully before returning his attention back to Lucy. “Ahh yes, and what might a pretty little thing like you be named?”

“Lucy.” She replied, a tear rolling down her cheek.

“Hush now, Lucy, no need to be afraid.” He said, his voice barely above a whisper. “Close your eyes if you want. This will not take long.” Lucy closed her eyes, tears flowing freely now. She bit her lip, uttering a small gasp that faded away to nothing, as she felt Mordecai’s teeth slide into her neck.

Billie

Chapter 4:

At 2:47 AM, Tobi woke up. Gabriel was asleep in the chair beside her. She screamed, making Gabriel start and fall off his chair. Tobi continued screaming. Two nurses came running in, shoving Gabriel out of the way. One tried to stop Tobi from sitting up, the other ran from the room for a moment, returning with a tranquilizer. They injected Tobi and held her still as the tranquilizer took effect. Tobi collapsed back down, but continued screaming shrilly. Her normally brown eyes were now a dark, black color, but with a unearthly blue tinge. She suddenly stopped screaming, but continued breathing heavily, as though she were hyperventilating. Gabriel rushed to her side, but the nurses pushed him back, glaring at him. A doctor swiftly ran into the room, alerted by Tobi’s screams.

“What happened?” he demanded, rushing forwards to administer to Tobi. The nurses were at a loss for words, no patient had ever awoken from a coma so violently. Tobi began to twitch uncontrollably. The doctor called her name, but she ignored him. They snapped the railings of her bed up, secured her to the bed, and rolled her quickly out of the room. Gabriel tried to follow, but the doctor told him to stay. He felt useless, and he was now extra worried about Tobi. He paced the room for three hours before the doctor returned, looking drained.

“What happened? Is she ok?” Gabriel asked. The doctor frowned.

“We’re not sure what happened. We took her to the emergency wing on this level, and gave her a CAT scan. We found…” The doctor hesitated. It was Gabriel’s turn to frown.

“What? What did you find?” he demanded.

“We found…well, something that was definitely not there when she first came in. We uhhh, we don’t really know what it is. We’ve never seen this type of thing before. We’re running some more tests, although it is difficult, as she refuses to stay still.”

“Can I see her now?”

“Not yet. We still want to take a few more tests. In an hour, if we are finished, you may see her.” The doctor strode out of the room leaving Gabriel feeling uneasy. What had they found? The wait turned into almost two hours instead of one. A nurse came in the room and told Gabriel to follow her. She took him down the long corridor, stepping into a room on the left marked: Caution: P.D.P. Gabriel followed to nurse to the back of the room, which was full of strapped down patients in beds. Some of them were sleeping, but others lay awake, struggling or mumbling to themselves. Tobi was also strapped down, but she was not struggling or mumbling, neither was she asleep. She seemed to have calmed down considerably. The doctor stood as Gabriel neared.

“She asked to see you alone.” He said, then added in a whisper, “Press the call button if anything happens.” He left Gabriel and Tobi, pulling the curtain closed. Gabriel looked Tobi up and down. She looked terrible. Her bandaged hand seemed to be bleeding again, and she was covered in what looked like fresh bruises. But her eyes were the worst. They had a deadened and haunted look about them, and were still that strange bluish black that he had seen when she had first woken up. She looked at him and a tear rolled silently down her bruised cheek.

“Gabriel,” when she spoke her voice was hoarse, and filled with pain. Gabriel tried to shush her, but she shook her head, wincing as she did so. “No, let me speak. There is very little time. Do you know the reason I am not dead?” Gabriel breath caught in his throat. “Do you?” she demanded, a little more loudly. Gabriel paused, then nodded.

“I had hoped I was wrong, but...” he started.

“You weren’t. You know what it is they found, though you may not want to think about it. When I fell down that well, Gabriel, something else was down there with me. And you know what you must do.”

“No, no I can’t. You know I can’t.” Gabriel’s eyes felt like they were burning. He could feel the beginning of tears. “You cannot ask me to do this!”

“But you must.” Tobi suddenly grabbed Gabriel’s hand with her good one. “You must.” She repeated. “Before it’s too late.”

“I-I can’t. I can’t do it. We can find a cure.”

“No we can’t!” she exploded, with more strength than Gabriel thought she could manage. She sat up, clutching his hand tightly in hers. “There is no cure and you know there never will be! You have to…” she stopped suddenly, her eyes widening. Her head whipped around to look out the window. She gasped. Gabriel followed her gaze. Her nails dug fiercely into his hands, drawing blood. Gabriel watched as though stricken as the clouds that had been covering the moon parted. The moon was full.

Billie

well my computer is back but i lost all my stuff for this lol, so i have to start again, gahhh! oh well. maybe i'll have another chapter soon.