Paula Zahn : Ben Brafman (May 12 2004)

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
PAULA ZAHN NOW

Could Beheading Have Been Prevented?; Interview With Senator Jay Rockefeller; Interview With Benjamin Brafman

Aired May 12, 2004 - 20:00 ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

LOUISE BAKER: Thank you. ZAHN: From Martha Stewart's sentencing to the trial of Scott Peterson, there is a long list of well-known names and faces due in court. Defense attorney Ben Brafman joins us to look at some of the big trials coming up this summer.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

ZAHN: We are heading into the summer of the gavel. Jury selection is under way in the Scott Peterson trial, and NBA star Kobe Bryant was arraigned yesterday. Sources tell CNN his trial will begin sometime in August. Meanwhile, Michael Jackson has another hearing this month, and Martha Stewart will be sentenced next month.

Joining us now to sort through all these high-profile cases is Benjamin Brafman, a former Jackson attorney and an ABC News consultant. And it's always good to see you.

BENJAMIN BRAFMAN, ATTORNEY: It's good to see you. Thank you.

ZAHN: On to your least favorite subject now, the subject of Michael Jackson -- brought into that case with huge fanfare. And you and Mark Geragos left. What happened?

BRAFMAN: I'm still under the gag order, and I still have an attorney-client privilege. And all I can tell you is that the parting was very civilized. I think everyone in the process recognized that if Mark's going to be involved in Peterson and I'm really focused on the East Coast, if they want 24/7 on the ground in LA, that there had to be a change. I mean, I leave with no ill will. I wish Michael Jackson well. I think everyone's handled this with a fair degree of class, and I want to leave it that way.

ZAHN: Oh, you're not helping me here! I can't tell if you wanted out or he wanted you out. You can't even give me a hint?

BRAFMAN: I think there came a time when it became apparent that that case is going to require 24/7 on the ground in LA. I have a huge practice in New York. I'm based in New York. And without Mark Geragos and his team of very good lawyers on the case, I didn't think it was going to work. So I think it was a joint decision. And I think, at the end of the day, it's probably all for the best. I'm sorry it didn't work out because having met Michael Jackson, I think he needs my help, and I think I could have helped him.

ZAHN: Boy, you danced around that question like mad!

BRAFMAN: That's part of my job. ZAHN: Are you able to answer this, whether you expect Michael Jackson to be convicted?

BRAFMAN: I'm not allowed to answer that question, and specifically, that is covered by the gag order. We're not supposed to do any predicting on the outcome of the case, and I've chosen not to do that. And you're about the 500 or 600th person to ask me that question. And if I was going to answer it for anyone, I'd certainly put you up there on the top.

ZAHN: Well, how about if we bring you back once the gag order is lifted?

BRAFMAN: When the gag order...

ZAHN: Will you answer some of these questions?

BRAFMAN: When the gag order is lifted, it'll be my pleasure to come back.

ZAHN: Ben, thank you. Appreciate your time tonight.

BRAFMAN: My pleasure.

ZAHN: And we will be right back.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

Source: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/040.../12/pzn.00.html