POP: MTV BANS BEENIE MAN FROM VMA\'S (Aug 26 04)

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
UPDATED: 08/26/04 11:20 AM
POP: MTV BANS BEENIE MAN FROM VMA'S

MIAMI (AP) _ Beenie Man wants his fans to boycott the MTV Video Music Awards because he says MTV is boycotting him. Beenie Man was supposed to play an MTV-sponsored concert on Saturday, the day before the VMA's. MTV pulled him from the roster in response to South Florida gay activists who had planned to protest because of Beenie Man lyrics. He has one song that says, "I'm dreaming of a new Jamaica, come to execute all the gays,'' and another that says, "Queers must be killed.'' MTV spokeswoman Marnie Black says MTV doesn't want anything to overshadow a great weekend of music events. Beenie Man's manager, Clyde McKenzie, says his client isn't trying to incite violence against gays and he has all kinds of fans, including gays. Beenie Man himself tells The Miami Herald he just makes music, "but at the same time I just want to teach people -- my sons and my daughters -- the right way of life.'' Heddy Pena of the gay-rights group SAVE Dade says, "We respectfully suggest that he use other metaphors.''

Source: http://www.wqad.com/Global/story.asp?S=2224007