Rappers Honor The Jacksons at BMI Awards

Mack Dogg

A number of rappers will be on hand to honor the legendary Jacksons, at the 8th Annual Urban Music Awards, being held at the Wilshire Theatre in Beverly Hills.

Artists confirmed to attend the BMI Awards include E-40, Mario Winans, DJ Toomp, Lil Wayne, Ne-Yo, Rick Ross, T-Pain, Dallas Austin, Yung Berg, Polow Da Don, Soulja Boy and others.

The award show will be presented by performing rights organization BMI (Broadcast Music, Inc), which represents over 375,000 composers, songwriters, and music publishers across all genres of musical expression.

The Jacksons’ primary lineup featured Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon, Randy and Michael from 1969 through 1989.

During that span, the group made history as pop music’s most decorated quintet.

The Jacksons were the first group to have their first four singles hit #1, and went on to secure 17 Top 10 singles over the quintet’s 20 year history.

Those singles featured their biggest hits: “ABC,” “I Want You Back,” “The Love You Save,” and “I’ll Be There.”

The Jackson’s musical legacy is also felt in Hip-Hop, as their airy, disco-infused grooves and ballads became the foundation for artists such as Jay-Z (“I.Z.Z.O.,” “I Just Wanna Love U”), Naughty By Nature (“O.P.P.”), Mariah Carey (“Honey”), Jadakiss (“Put Your Hands Up”) and Ghostface Killah (“All That I Got Is You”).

The event will be hosted by BMI President and CEO Del Bryant and Vice President Catherine Brewton.

The 8th annual BMI Urban Music Awards begin at 6pm on September 4.

http://allhiphop.com/stories/news/archive/2008/08/18/20424611.aspx

I'm not sure the "Mike owing his brothers money and him being in a wheelchair" is true but still. The Jacksons deserve this award.

Cariena

Mack Dogg;206131 said:
I'm not sure the "Mike owing his brothers money and him being in a wheelchair" is true but still. The Jacksons deserve this award.

I'm sure Mike ows his brothers nothing...

Just_Peachy

Found this article at: http://www.mtv.co.uk/channel/mtvuk/news/441015-michael-jackson-return-rift

"Jacko’s comeback award stifled by his brothers…"

Michael Jackson was set to appear on stage with a reunited Jackson 5 next month but it seems that an ongoing row between the siblings may have scuppered their union.

The Jackson 5 were going to appear together again to accept a lifetime achievement award at the BMI Urban Awards in Los Angeles, however according to the New York Post the king of pop owes his brothers $840,000!

The colossus amount is a result of unpaid royalties from a long line of J5 hits in the 1970s and now it’s reported that Jermaine, Tito, Marlon and Jackie want their share.

It’s been claimed that the brothers haven’t had contact since 2005 and it’s rumoured that ongoing issues continue.

Hope this helps... but I'm still positive that Mike wouldn't owe his brother's anything. Family first, remember?

TASHAE

wow all those people are gonna honor them....that's great...I see the media is still speading that lie....I mean geez let them have their shine without negativity

Irish Flower

You have to laugh at how stupid they are. How would Michael Jackson owe his brothers royalties for anything to do with the Jackson Five?!