Showbiz Tonight: Harvey Levin talks about two men indicted for illegally recording Jackson

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
SHOWBIZ TONIGHT

Thousands of Evacuees Jam Texas Highways; Sky High Drama Unfolds on TV; Media Gears up for Rita Coverage; First Contestant Booted from Martha`s Show Speaks Out

Aired September 22, 2005 - 19:00:00 E

[AJ] HAMMER: It is time now for the SHOWBIZ TONIGHT legal lowdown. On the docket tonight, new developments in the Russell Crowe phone-throwing case as he reportedly turns down a plea bargain. And two men have been indicted for allegedly videotaping MichaelJackson while he flew on a private jet to turn himself in on child molestation charges.

Joining us live from Hollywood, the managing editor for the soon-to- be-launched entertainment news site TMZ.com, Harvey Levin.

HAMMER: Well, let`s shift gears then to the Michael Jackson situation. Of course, before the whole trial began, Jackson and his attorney, Mark Geragos, were flying on a private jet as Jackson went to surrender in Santa Barbara, back in 2003. This was a story we were hearing about back then.

Two men were indicted for videotaping Jackson`s conversations. The question is, what laws did these guys actually break to get the indictment? It was their jet, right?

LEVIN: Well, the problem is, it was their jet, but it was leased by Michael Jackson, and what they were doing is they were trying to intrude on an attorney-client conversation. So they were illegally wire-tapping the space -- if it`s true -- that MichaelJackson had basically leased, and they also allegedly went to a witness in this case and basically said, hey, if the FBI comes to you we want you to lie and say that the videotaped equipment was put in because there was theft on the airplane and we wanted to catch the thief.

Let me tell you what dufuses they may have been. They actually recorded themselves installing the equipment on the airplane. This is something that we found out about a while ago. So they are just caught dead to rights doing this on the plane, and this may be a real tough one for these two.

HAMMER: You`ll win a Harvey Levin dufus award for that.

Real quickly, I have less than 30 seconds, Harvey, what`s on the tape? Do you know? Are we ever going to find out?

LEVIN: Oh, we`ll never find out. I mean, they`re never going to play this. This is kind of a sacrosanct relationship, attorney and client, and just remember that this is Mark Geragos and MichaelJackson sitting next to each other as he is about to get arrested on child molestation charges. So, I mean, recording this or attempting to record it is really, really shocking. There is no way -- no way -- that those conversations, I think, are ever going to get out.

HAMMER: Thanks, as always, for filling us in, Harvey Levin, managing editor for the soon-to-be-launched entertainment news site TMZ.com.

Source: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/050.../22/sbt.01.html