TV Guide Interview with Flex Alexander

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
MJ's Wacko Movie
by Daniel R. Coleridge

Tonight on VH1, Flex Alexander impersonates the scandal-ridden King of Pop in Man in the Mirror: The Michael Jackson Story (9 pm/ET). With MJ's child-molestation trial looming, and weird news stories breaking about him almost daily, the role must've posed quite a challenge. Especially for Alexander, a comic actor best known from his UPN sitcom, One on One. Here, he tells TV Guide Online all about moonwalking in MJ's spooky shoes.

TV Guide Online: Did Jackson's legal troubles scare you?
Flex Alexander: It didn't deter me because no one can say he's guilty! They just have thoughts and opinions. If we all lived the life that he lived, being a star at four or five years old, we might be a little different, too. Him and God know what happened. Let the court take care of it, and let's focus on the good he's done for children and this world.
Thank you Jesus!!!!

TVGO: So this film isn't a hatchet job?
Alexander: The movie is very positive. I learned more about Michael Jackson than I ever knew. I think he's a wonderful person. We shouldn't cast judgment – we should pray for him, if that's needed. We cover his life from "Thriller" until now. We deal with the allegations, but we don't go deep into it. We don't avoid it at all, but we leave it to where you can decide.

TVGO: What's your take on the rumor that he fathered quadruplets via a surrogate mom in Florida?
Alexander: What? I didn't even know that! Wow. If he did, good for him, man. We should really just let Mike be Mike and also let this trial play out. If he's guilty, let the law be served to its fullest extent.

TVGO: You refused to simulate Jackson's plastic-surgery look. Why?
Alexander: I didn't want to wear a fake nose, a prosthetic chin or any of that. People are already going to be watching this under a microscope, so if I wore that stuff, it would become all about that.

TVGO: Do you mimic his odd speaking voice?
Alexander: I worked on the voice and mannerisms and did a good job. I let his nephew Auggie Jackson see it, and he was amazed with the job I did. Hopefully, the public will appreciate it just as much.

TVGO: One problem. MJ doesn't look black anymore, but you still do...
Alexander: (Laughs) Yeah, I had a three-and-a-half hour makeup job to change my skin tone. But I did find out he really has vitiligo. Realistically, if you stop to think about it, you can't bleach your skin. We were privy to photographs most people haven't seen. I also saw other people with vitiligo who turned albino white. We address this as a serious skin issue in the film. We didn't poke fun at it, and I think he'll appreciate that.

:nav Source: http://www.tvguide.com/news/insider/

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
MJ's Wacko Movie
by Daniel R. Coleridge

Tonight on VH1, Flex Alexander impersonates the scandal-ridden King of Pop in Man in the Mirror: The Michael Jackson Story (9 pm/ET). With MJ's child-molestation trial looming, and weird news stories breaking about him almost daily, the role must've posed quite a challenge. Especially for Alexander, a comic actor best known from his UPN sitcom, One on One. Here, he tells TV Guide Online all about moonwalking in MJ's spooky shoes.

TV Guide Online: Did Jackson's legal troubles scare you?
Flex Alexander: It didn't deter me because no one can say he's guilty! They just have thoughts and opinions. If we all lived the life that he lived, being a star at four or five years old, we might be a little different, too. Him and God know what happened. Let the court take care of it, and let's focus on the good he's done for children and this world.

TVGO: So this film isn't a hatchet job?
Alexander: The movie is very positive. I learned more about Michael Jackson than I ever knew. I think he's a wonderful person. We shouldn't cast judgment – we should pray for him, if that's needed. We cover his life from "Thriller" until now. We deal with the allegations, but we don't go deep into it. We don't avoid it at all, but we leave it to where you can decide.

TVGO: What's your take on the rumor that he fathered quadruplets via a surrogate mom in Florida?
Alexander: What? I didn't even know that! Wow. If he did, good for him, man. We should really just let Mike be Mike and also let this trial play out. If he's guilty, let the law be served to its fullest extent.

TVGO: You refused to simulate Jackson's plastic-surgery look. Why?
Alexander: I didn't want to wear a fake nose, a prosthetic chin or any of that. People are already going to be watching this under a microscope, so if I wore that stuff, it would become all about that.

TVGO: Do you mimic his odd speaking voice?
Alexander: I worked on the voice and mannerisms and did a good job. I let his nephew Auggie Jackson see it, and he was amazed with the job I did. Hopefully, the public will appreciate it just as much.

TVGO: One problem. MJ doesn't look black anymore, but you still do...
Alexander: (Laughs) Yeah, I had a three-and-a-half hour makeup job to change my skin tone. But I did find out he really has vitiligo. Realistically, if you stop to think about it, you can't bleach your skin. We were privy to photographs most people haven't seen. I also saw other people with vitiligo who turned albino white. We address this as a serious skin issue in the film. We didn't poke fun at it, and I think he'll appreciate that.

:nav Source: http://www.tvguide.com/news/insider/

t1obaggage

That Flex Alexander guy seems pretty cool. I can't say as much for the interviewer. What a stupid jerk. But anyways, I think that what Alexander said goes for everyone, if people would just stop and listen to the facts instead of passing ignorant judgment, they would see what a great guy Michael is and how stupid all the rumors about him are.

floacist

He didnt say anything bad,actually he seems like a really nice guy just with poor choices in acting jobs.

Teehee I put this on MJJF!! Some people won't give this movie a chance. Like someone over there said something about how when there was movies made about Elvis and Frank Sinatra, it didn't make them look retarded and I said this. Cause I think this is the way they handled it.

"But with MJ it's hard, because you can't appeal to both sides of the spectrum. If you make it so positive, non-fans are not going to take it seriously because they think it's "a crazy fan's" attempt to make Michael look "normal" (even though we already know he is! ). Now if you make it not-so-postive, MJ fans are going to ignore it and call it tabloid trash. They have to be somewhere in the middle. They COULD have made Michael look like a genius, both musically and mentally (which is what we already know! ), but if they did that, people would still laugh adn poke fun at it. They could NOT make this movie totally, 100% POSITIVE about Michael. The public wouldn't buy it. There has to be a (happy) medium. That's waht they tried to accomplish. Of COURSE it isn't going to lvie up to ALL of OUR expectations, but we just have to live with that. No movie about a controversial (supposedly ) individual is going to appeal to everyone. They did the best they could, without making it seem like a TOTAL MJ-against-the-public movie. Because it already ran this risk of, as one reviewer put it, not being able to be "glossier than if Michael himself produced it." So I think, given the circumstances, they did a pretty good job with what they had to work with, minus the gray skin and things.

Amanda

P.S. In regards to waht that guy said in some paper,a bout it being glossy, I don't agree with it...Haters..LOL However, my point was that that is what the general, non-mj public is going to think, because they don't knwo any better. I didn't want you guys to take that the wrong way. "

Hope ya liked....

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Oh I do agree that even with other biographical movies, there is more accuracy than inaccuracy. From what I've heard, there was some blaring omissions and inaccuracies in this "movie" that even someone who has done the most basic research would be able to pick-up on.

THe sloppy way it was thrown together seems to be the beef fans have with this film; not to mention there being no emphasis on his business acumen and artistry.

urbanpinkpixie

He seems like a nice guy, but if he is a fan (I don't know if he is or not), he would have known that some of these things are wrong in the movie. I'm not gonna get into that.

Other than that, he's ok with me. The movie on the other hand isn't.

Cristine87

Originally posted by whisper
Oh I do agree that even with other biographical movies, there is more accuracy than inaccuracy. From what I've heard, there was some blaring omissions and inaccuracies in this "movie" that even someone who has done the most basic research would be able to pick-up on.

THe sloppy way it was thrown together seems to be the beef fans have with this film; not to mention there being no emphasis on his business acumen and artistry.
Exactly, Flex is cool but the movie was poorly done!