Vienna and Nancy trips...I need some information please

luisamj

In april 2008 I have to go to some geological meetings in Vienna (Austria) and Nancy (France). I never visit those cities before and I need some information about accomodation and nice places to visit. I would like to ask if someone here is living in Vienna or Nancy and can help me with some information. Thank you in advance.

mysteriousone

Wow, those places you're visiting sound exciting, Luisamj! I wish you well on your travels! :)

Unfortunately I've never been further than Australia so I can't help you out with accomodation etc! :( Let's hope someone comes along soon and see's your thread--someone that can be of more assistance to you! :D

I will add, my best friend travelled to Nice (France) a couple of years ago and mentioned it was a beautiful city, however, in the hotel she stayed in there were a number of Tourists/guests who's rooms got broken into and valuable items such as Camera's, Video Camera's, credit cards, passports, you name it, it went missing! While my friend and the group she was travelling with went (across the street) for dinner, someone broke into their rooms, not by forcing entry either--they had a KEY! :blink: One of the girls in the group wasn't feeling well so she decided to stay behind and have a lie down but woke and found a strange guy coming out of the adjoining room! When asked what he was doing, he replied "Sorry, wrong room" :blink: According to my friend the Police in France weren't very helpful at all! :( The only thing my friend and travelling companions could do was to inform the travel agency (who booked their accomodation) of their misfortune! The hotel then was wiped off their books, and thank goodness for that! Still not a very nice experience especially when you have to spend the next day or two cancelling credit cards etc and re-arranging flight tickets etc! :( Please be very careful--not saying the same thing will happen to you in Nancy, but it still pays to be aware of these things!

Good luck! :)

Mysti!

luisamj

All my life I dream to visit Australia, I think it's really beautiful and hope I will have that chance.
Thank you very much for your information "mysteriousone". I will be careful and take the credit cards, passport and the other things with me. I will go there alone and I better thake a little more precaution.

gitana82

Hi! I live & study in Vienna, so I can name some places to visit.
Burg - the castle of Vienna. There are some exhibitions, I think the most interesting is the Sissi / Imperial Bedrooms. The "first lady" of the Habsburg Monarchy was an extraordinary women! She was very modern in many ways, her beauty was legendary, and she always felt herself very lonly, as a stranger in the castle.
Schloss Schönbrunn - the summer residence of the Habsburgs, with a wonderful park. Just amazing!
Zoo Schönbrunn - next to the summer residence. If you like animals, dont miss it!
Albertina - the modern arts gallery (I personally didn't liked it very much)
Kunsthistorisches Museum - fine arts. AMASING!
Naturhistorischen Museum - next to Kunsthistorisches M. Life siences, with a lot of interesting temporary exhibitions. Dinos, sceletons, whatever you want. I like it very much.
Technisches Museum - close to Schönbrunn, for technic fans. However, there are some parts, that everybody can like: a CT, music instruments, oldtimers, etc

Michael-places
Imperial - where MJ stayed.
Prater - you can find 2 rides with MJs pictures.
Prater stadium - concerts

If you tell your interests, I can find some more...
Oh, I almost forgot: Kahlenberg: a mountain next to Vienna (the bus drives you to the top), you can see the whole city, a MUST.

I hope this helped you.;)

luisamj

gitana82;200187 said:
Hi! I live & study in Vienna, so I can name some places to visit.
Burg - the castle of Vienna. There are some exhibitions, I think the most interesting is the Sissi / Imperial Bedrooms. The "first lady" of the Habsburg Monarchy was an extraordinary women! She was very modern in many ways, her beauty was legendary, and she always felt herself very lonly, as a stranger in the castle.
Schloss Schönbrunn - the summer residence of the Habsburgs, with a wonderful park. Just amazing!
Zoo Schönbrunn - next to the summer residence. If you like animals, dont miss it!
Albertina - the modern arts gallery (I personally didn't liked it very much)
Kunsthistorisches Museum - fine arts. AMASING!
Naturhistorischen Museum - next to Kunsthistorisches M. Life siences, with a lot of interesting temporary exhibitions. Dinos, sceletons, whatever you want. I like it very much.
Technisches Museum - close to Schönbrunn, for technic fans. However, there are some parts, that everybody can like: a CT, music instruments, oldtimers, etc

Michael-places
Imperial - where MJ stayed.
Prater - you can find 2 rides with MJs pictures.
Prater stadium - concerts

If you tell your interests, I can find some more...
Oh, I almost forgot: Kahlenberg: a mountain next to Vienna (the bus drives you to the top), you can see the whole city, a MUST.

I hope this helped you.;)

Thank you very much for your information, is really helpful.
As long as I am a geologist I think I will love to see Naturhistorischen Museum. I also must see the Zoo, I love all the animals. Kahlenberg...I am sure the view is amazing. I know Michael was to Prater so I will go there too. I would love to see Burg - the castle of Vienna and Schloss Schönbrunn, I am sure they're amazing. And all the other places...
Thank you again! I hope the weather will be fine in april and let me enjoy my week in Vienna. :)

gitana82

Yeah, I wish you a nice trip. There is another interesting place in Vienna: Schpanische Hofreitschule with the Lippizaener horses. They do some shows. I think, you'll find in google, wiki etc evry place you liked to visit.

Hotels I know:
Hotel Imperial - VERY expensive. MJ used to stay there always.
Hotel Lassalle - close to the Danube (riverside & port)
Hotel Fürstenhof - next to Westbahnhof - its quiet cheep, but I didn't liked it.
Hotel Dorint - a bit expensive too, but their restaurant is OK.
Except Imperial are every hotels ***

luisamj

gitana82;200197 said:
Yeah, I wish you a nice trip. There is another interesting place in Vienna: Schpanische Hofreitschule with the Lippizaener horses. They do some shows. I think, you'll find in google, wiki etc evry place you liked to visit.

Hotels I know:
Hotel Imperial - VERY expensive. MJ used to stay there always.
Hotel Lassalle - close to the Danube (riverside & port)
Hotel Fürstenhof - next to Westbahnhof - its quiet cheep, but I didn't liked it.
Hotel Dorint - a bit expensive too, but their restaurant is OK.
Except Imperial are every hotels ***

Thank you! I am searching something not very expensive cause I don't have lots of money for the accomodation. I found on the internet a Hotel named "Do stepp inn" near Westbahnhof. They said it's cheep, nice and clean. Do you know something about the place?
Yeah, I found some informations on the internet but I found a lots of sites in german language and I didn't undestand a word cause I don't speak german. :)
Thank you again for your advices!

gitana82

luisamj;200200 said:
Thank you! I am searching something not very expensive cause I don't have lots of money for the accomodation. I found on the internet a Hotel named "Do stepp inn" near Westbahnhof. They said it's cheep, nice and clean. Do you know something about the place?
Yeah, I found some informations on the internet but I found a lots of sites in german language and I didn't undestand a word cause I don't speak german. :)
Thank you again for your advices!

I dont know it, but since I live there, I dont have to stay at hotels so I dont know them. If you find stg interesting in german, pm me, and I'l translate it.

mysteriousone

Fantastic..........I knew someone would be along to help you sooner or later, luisamj!

Looks like gitana82 has given you a whole lot of useful info there too! Way to go, gitana82!! :thumbsup

Mysti!

luisamj

gitana82;200201 said:
I dont know it, but since I live there, I dont have to stay at hotels so I dont know them. If you find stg interesting in german, pm me, and I'l translate it.

Thank you! You are really sweet! :)

mysteriousone;200233 said:
Fantastic..........I knew someone would be along to help you sooner or later, luisamj!

Looks like gitana82 has given you a whole lot of useful info there too! Way to go, gitana82!! :thumbsup

Mysti!

Yes, she helped me a lot. :)
Thank you!