What we are not taught.

Sorry. I have this bad urge to write lately. Hopefully it'll leave as soon as I tap it dry... anyway, just posting things so that they don't get lost in my mind forever.

What we are not taught.

We are not taught many things. This in itself is a fact, and it is sad. If a child at four came to you and wanted to tell you the secrets to happiness, would you listen? Perhaps you'd laugh. If you saw a five year old tell a story from the bible, correcting a father's preaching, would you sit back and listen, or would you smile mockingly as if you were seeing just another funny video on youtube? This probably makes no sense, but you see, we are all born with a deeper knowledge than we know. We are all born with an ability to think, and to remember. We can create, we can understand, we can feel the strength of a power we don't yet know of. We are not taught to listen. We are not taught to respect imagination. We are taught of limits, including those limits that may define us, therefore delimiting what we can become. We are not taught to conserve the inner child within us that provides the purity and drive to keep us content for all eternity; instead, we are taught to grow up.

We are taught that games are silly. Institutions fear individuality and rebellion that comes from questioning. They lock up imagination in a cell, deny the ability to play and learn. We are taught that we must be individuals, yet seldom are we given the chance. Instead, television sells to us the personality of the masses, generalizing us all into the mass consumer whose interests are limited to what they will offer. Our thoughts are twisted by what we read, molded by what we see, and destroyed by what we don't see. We are made to think inside the box, though we are told to think outside it. We learn to memorize, and not to think. For unmolded thoughts become the dangerous weapon of the learned.

It is a sad day when we can see suffering as we eat dinner and switch the channel somewhere else. It is a sad day when we only see problems in a world full of answers.

And the problem comes from not knowing how to listen.

We are very good at opening our mouths. We are very good at shouting from the rooftops what we think, explaining to others that it is our right. But what of the right to be heard? Where did that go? Just because you are talking, doesn't mean someone is listening.

I believe that we have forgotten the agreement we once signed with this world. And now, it is trying to give us the message.

We are not taught this truth.

I am not going to tell you that the Earth is weeping. It is not in pain. It is frustrated. It has lost the right to be heard. It has become an object. It has become an institution without choosing to. It used to be an entity, and today it is owned by the general public.

Do you desecrate your home? Then why do you desecreate Earth?

You say you believe in sustainable developement. Yet you do not conserve the future consumers, only what they will consume, and hoping that they will not consume it. In the time it takes you to read this entire thing, imagine how many children have died. You think of children, but not of the mothers, the fathers?

You spend a dollar in a minute. A family lives with less than that a day... I've seen it. With my own eyes. I've seen people living in mountains with carboard houses. I've sat with them as tourists took pictures, smiling and asking questions without an answer to their plight. I've seen people lose their lands to a corporation whose sole objective is to make money. I've seen a girl my age beg me for a lick of ice cream... I've seen all this. I have. But seeing is not living. I have been privilaged.

We are taught that our government is good. We are taught that capitalism is natural. We are taught that competition is a part of who we are. We are taught all this things we never question.

We are taught that imagination becomes nonsense once we reach a certain age. We are taught that what has no answer is of no consequence. We are not taught that some things are simply meant to not have a point.

We are taught of limits. We are not taught that everything is improbable until proven possible.

We don't have a class that strengthens the inner voice of conscience.

Why? Because we are not taught many things.

Some things can not be taught.

Some things come from within.

Yet, it seems almost unimportant what is not taught in a world where a degree is the equivalent of your intelligence.

It is a world where wisdom is no longer valued. The ideal of beauty is sacred.

And no one has ever seen beauty. And no one will ever see wisdom.

And no one looks for imagination anymore. And we all run to religion, though it is being killed by secularism.

What we are not taught.... we are not taught to defy convention.

We are not taught to love this Earth.

We are not taught that what we have is not ours, but merely borrowed.

Not even life is yours. Eventually you die, and given it back to the eternal... whatever you believe it is, even if you don't believe it exists.

You do not keep what you have forever. Objects do not last forever. They were made to be temporal.

The things we are taught live on after us, but are forgotten with age.

What we are not taught remains forever, yet it is not taught, so it too is forgotten.

Aww, don't be speechless... It was pretty bad writing, I know.
It was just something on my mind... I tend to write a lot of stuff like that. When I was really little, since maybe five when I learned I could talk about it well enough, I've been talking about things like this that bother me. Then later I started writing it. It's a nice way to let it out. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't let it out...

Thanks for reading.