With what book character would you identify Michael?

Kanya

I would identify Michael with someone like caring Manolin from "The Old Man and the Sea" or with idealist Colin from "The Secret Garden"...Peter Pan is, of course, common knowledge, and there was a book called "The Key" in which there was one black curly boy entering an abandoned house with a girl he liked...His name eludes me right now, unluckily...

With whom would you identify Michael from the books you have read?

abbymjgirl

"The Old Man and the Sea"> Did you know this is one of his fav books? *mm-hm*

I dunno..I have to think about it and I'll get back, kay? Kay. :D

Kanya

Why, of course I did!...I have only managed to read this book in Romanian, my mother-tongue, though...
I must sleep now, as it is a staggering 5: 17 a.m. here in my country! Nighty-night all...Zzzzzzzz...

danaluvsmj

There are a couple of book characters I identify with Michael. For one, I think Boo Radley from 'To Kill a Mockingbird' is a great example. He is greatly misunderstood and he lives in isolation. Another one would be Willy Wonka from 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' because he is rarely seen outside his factory, is a bit childish and eccentric and had a trumatic childhood and was estranged from his father.

Kanya

And, oh dearness, how could I miss that? The brilliant William Blake' s poem about a young black boy who wants to befriend a Young white boy and all the white humans, who wants to be awash with the same cloud as the white ones are and be amidst God's sheep, protected by the same Shepherd too...It is called "The Little Black Boy"...

frozen rose

Willy Wonka definitly identifies with him -- and Boo Radley too. Good ones guys! :)

I think the author of 'They Cage the Animals at Night' is a good example too, 'Peter Pan'. 'The Iron Man' --- the character too, reminds me of Michael, as he has been accused of being a total monster and his the ability to destroy people's lives and 'The Beast' from 'Beauty and the Best' as he has been treated as monster and gets attempts of being killed for being cursed and 'ugly'.

Kanya

Did you know that Michael told to a film director that he wishes a film could be made based upon the book: "They Cage The Animals At Night"? And, I hope I am not wrong...Mel Gibson refused such an offer, but that another director is seriously mulling over whether to make a movie? Dearness, I hope such movie could be made....Michael is that kind of a secluded person that I am too, and Michael has got refined ideas for videos, not like Mr. "Too Proud To Be Talked To" of Gibson...

Kanya

Splendiferous!...What about the film based upon Edgar Allan Poe's life? They refused to even consider and have Michael as an actor...They are all cowardly lions!...

Only bad films lately...I watch not any of them, only read and eventually view some footage behind the film...There shall not ever be anyone like John Wayne, like Al Pacino, like Katharine Hepburn or Benny Hill or Gerard Debardieu...like Hitchkock...Like Michael foremost!...
Michael's ideas are too professional for film directors, and they are all afraid that he may emaciate all of their ideas into shadows and take their place...I never knew a genius could frighten so intensely...

danaluvsmj

Oh I forgot to mention the Elephant man. I think it was a book, wasn't it?

A poor boy who looked strange and was turned into a circus attraction,now that's Michael. I remember Michael said the story made him cry.

Shannon

Originally posted by danaluvsmj
Oh I forgot to mention the Elephant man. I think it was a book, wasn't it?

A poor boy who looked strange and was turned into a circus attraction,now that's Michael. I remember Michael said the story made him cry.
No, The Elephant man was actually a real man. I dont know if anyone wrote a book about him, but yes, Michael said once that he felt very much like him - and I do too...

Kanya

From "The Wizard of Oz", Michael has definitely Scarecrow's personality...Gorgeously bouncy, adorable, babyish, awkward, sentimental, so deep...I identify with them so, and Scarecrow's pains and insecurities were Michael's pains and insecurities and my pains and insecurities...

Kanya

I remembered one more character...belonging to Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Gentle Boy"...The gentle boy was a six year-old who has lost his father, dying killed, because his family was a part of a peaceful sect that Puritans could not even conceive of coming to terms with...The gebtle boy, called very lovely Ilbrahim has mourned the unfair loss of his father, and was the poor target of people's lashing words and the older boy's desperate bullying!

How he has gone through it all, bearing also his mother's death, his infantile expression blended with a much too early precociousness...That is, by most far, Michael's portrait...

privacy

And, oh dearness, how could I miss that? The brilliant William Blake' s poem about a young black boy who wants to befriend a Young white boy and all the white humans, who wants to be awash with the same cloud as the white ones are and be amidst God's sheep, protected by the same Shepherd too...It is called "The Little Black Boy"...

I've read that poem.. beautiful. I love Blakes stuff.

Kanya

I am so glad you have...Blake's style is very much like James Joyce's style of writing and, as his elder sister, La Toya, once stated for a magazine, James Joyce is amongst Michael's favourite writers and mine also...

"Of the dark past
A child is born;
With joy and grief
My heart is torn.

Calm in his cradle
The living lies.
May love and mercy
Unclose his eyes!

Young life is breathed
On the glass;
The world that was not
Comes to pass.

A child is sleeping:
An old man gone.
O, Father forsaken,
Forgive your son!"

{by James Joyce, "Ecce Puer"}

Kanya

And, dear God, I also have remembered..."I, Too, Sing America", by Langston Hughes:

"I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tommorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed --

I, too, sing America."

Martin Luther King too sang America...Michael too sings America, the way not any other living soul ever could and ever will...