You don\'t want to be like me, kid.

You don't want to be like me, kid.

I promote a lifestyle. An image. No, more of a way of being than of living because what I do is a testament to the fact that I exist. Perhaps it is a testament to my humanity, the highlight of all those events which lead to the culmination of reason. Perhaps it is a degeneration in my personality, a gap of sorts that lies open, waiting to be filled. A testament to the fact that I am human enough to sometimes feel subhuman. A reminder to those limits that define me. Those definitions that I tend to ignore.

There are many who see me, few who know me, and I choose those who will love me and hate me like a well-calculated game. Life is fun. It is a reminder of my childhood training because as children we learn to play and those adults who tend to forget are those who become pawns of the game. I teach my teachers. Isn't that funny? It is all in the way I voice my question. If it sounds like a statement, they will apologize and readily agree. If it is a question, they will squirm because they know I will unconsciously know the answer. Am I selling anarchy in a structured world? I take things with a grain of salt. I question everything, even existance, but never that of God. I know well my place in the infinite cosmos, and respect that being who was before me, will be there after me, and whom I will never equal. I accept my humanity, my flaws, all those mistakes waiting to happen. It doesn't mean I am happy with the limitations or that I won't try to push the boundary, but he who accepts the definition of their being without working to write it himself is a plain vegetable. I question the nature behind capitalism because it doesn't seem natural. And I disagree that humans are competitive by nature because I believe we are competitive by education. I don't believe in a master race. I don't believe in the idea of race as the diference in people, unless you are talking about the 'human' race, in which case I will accept your idea of unification.

I belive in the rule of one. Am I going against the idea of federations, nations, and countries if I believe that they represent the underlying idea of anarchy because chaos is a separation of what is whole and perfect, unification?

I will not cry for an adult's pitiful excuses in life--they had a choice, be it in good judgement or in bad, but I will cry for the child, who having not chosen his lot, lies at the mercy of destiny's swift execution in a problematic world.

I do not believe that all children are innocent or kind because I know for a fact that a child can lie and cause more harm than an adult with the gilded sword of corruption. I do believe children are born innocent, victims to a degeneration in the gaps of the three-tier classifiction of countries and their economies that bind our world in capitalism and globalization. I do believe in the good of globalization, and shun the idea of isolationism.

Do you want to be like this? Have these thoughts? Know what is wrong, being able to fix it, and be tied by the hands of time?

Do you want to lie awake at night? Do you want to see the patterns I see and know what will happen?

No, kid. Don't be like me. Be better not my equal because time is a river and each generation a stepping stone to the other side. So, if you end up like me, kid, we will never advance. And if we stay like this, kid, more people will die, physically, emotionally...

Stop looking at my awards. Stop staring gapping mouthed at my report card, at my rank, at my scores. Stop looking at the letter from Harvard, from Yale, from Princeton. Listen to what I'm saying. Don't nod your head and tell me you understand. At your age I knew i wanted to change the world. At your age I was itching to jump to the next stepping stone, but kid, I'm tied by the shackles of my generation. So my last hope is you, kid... my last hope is you. Don't be like me, kid, be the change in my change. Promote the change of my change and your change.

And someday, when you are in my position and your mother says confidently that she can fill an entire room with your awards smile and shrug it off because material things are left behind, but your ideas, your existance might just linger in the air. And when some kids come up to you and tell you, 'I want to be just like you...' tell them what I told you. Tell them, 'no kid, you don't want to be like me. You want to be you.'

And deep inside, feel proud because you have inspired the leaders of the next generation. And give yourself a pat on the back because deep down you know that at sixteen you can still do so much more and before you're gone, you'll have left them a stable basis from which to jump to the next stepping stone. For remember, kid, remember what I said, life is like a river--it can be cruel, or tender, or anything else--but you choose how to cross it.