Extention for Neverland

tofdel1

:)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jackson gets another day to pay $306,000 in Neverland wages

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

(03-14) 12:12 PST Los Olivos, Calif. (AP) --

Michael Jackson got a day's reprieve Tuesday on a deadline to pay a $100,000 fine and $306,000 in wages he owes Neverland ranch employees.

Jackson now has until 5 p.m. Wednesday to pay the penalty and remit back wages owed dozens of workers, who complained to the state that they had not been paid since Dec. 19.

He could face a state lawsuit if he does not comply by then.

Jackson no longer lives at the ranch full-time. He mainly has been living in Bahrain since being acquitted of child molestation charges last year.

A call to Jackson's spokesman, Raymone K. Bain, for comment was not immediately returned.

However, Jackson was "aware" of the extension, said Renee Bacchini, spokeswoman for the state Department of Industrial Relations.

The extra day was granted after Jackson's financial representatives contacted the department to say "they are trying to come up with the money," Bacchini said.

"They're trying to work with us," she said.

Such extensions are not uncommon, she said.

"That's a normal course of business," she said. "If somebody comes forward with good faith ... with anyone, we would be reasonable."

The 2,600-acre ranch in Santa Barbara County remained virtually shut down Tuesday under an order issued by the labor department last week. Sixty-nine employees were ordered to stop work after it was discovered that their mandatory workers compensation coverage for job-related injuries had lapsed.

Financial representatives for Jackson indicated they are complying with the order and "anybody who's out there on the ranch is not an employee of Michael Jackson," Bacchini said.

A security guard could remain on duty if the guard was paid by a separate company that has workers compensation coverage, Bacchini said.

Similarly, people remained at the ranch to care for the singer's exotic menagerie, which at times has included elephants and a giraffe.

"There are people who are being paid to take care of the animals" but Jackson was not paying them, Bacchini said.

She did not have other details.

Officials previously said local animal welfare agencies had been notified of the shutdown and offered their help if needed.

Jackson also faces a fine of $69,000 for allowing the workers compensation coverage to lapse. But he has 30 days to appeal that fine, which was issued last week.

Associated Press SectionsInternationalStateSportsFinancialEntertainmentNationalPolitics ©2006 Associated Press | Privacy Policy | Feedback | RSS Feeds | FAQ | Site Index | Contact

A

Anonymous

Sounds fair enough to me. They wouldn't have given him an extention if they hadn't gotten any responce from him.

..btw, doesn't sound like a conspiracy to me. :lol

~Vicky~ said:
Sounds fair enough to me. They wouldn't have given him an extention if they hadn't gotten any responce from him.

..btw, doesn't sound like a conspiracy to me. :lol

Exactly. If they had gotten no response, they would've taken legal action already, or at least by the end of today.. And I see some fans on other forums worrying about this, fretting that Michael might not have enough money to pay it. Well, they gotta keep in mind that it's not always easy to get a lot of cash out at once like that from a bank account, especially since Michael probably has at LEAST several in God knows how many places, and when they probably have to go through several people to get it ...;) :lol We should also keep in mind that he (like a LOT of people, rich and famous or not, LOL) probably doesn't have all that laying around in cash, either or at least not in one place..

I'm sure it will be fine. :cool:

:lol @ the conspiracy part.

HeavenSent

InspirationMoonwalks said:
And I see some fans on other forums worrying about this, fretting that Michael might not have enough money to pay it.

I guess that's why I haven't ventured to any other boards today. I can't deal with the doom and gloom.

HeavenSent said:
I guess that's why I haven't ventured to any other boards today. I can't deal with the doom and gloom.

Me either. Especially when it's unfounded and purely based on speculation. I mean, why worry and stress yourself out about something that's not even fully public or clear? By all accounts, it's being worked out..:cool:

While it's always important to speak up and defend Michael whenever an unfair situation calls for it, I think it's time for a lot of fans to calm down, let the man take care of himself, and just get back to why we're FANS in the first place... :D :cool:

minnie yu

yes things has been sorted out and Mike will have his happy life back again..bless after this he can live his life without any trouble..

danaluvsmj

thank god this can finally be put to rest. Everything is being taken care of so why should people keep arguing that Michael is 'broke' and he 'abandoned Neverland and his employees'?

MJJ_Lover

exactly, extension takes compromise, which takes communication. So Michael is dealing with this ... :) nothing for us to worry about.

Deadline looms for Michael Jackson to pay up
Pop star owes $300,000-plus in back pay, plus other fines

Wednesday, March 15, 2006; Posted: 1:53 p.m. EST (18:53 GMT)

A boy tries to peek at Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch in Santa Barbara County, California, in May 2005.

(CNN) -- Michael Jackson has told state officials he is trying to secure workers' compensation insurance and $306,000 in back pay owed to his Neverland Ranch employees, said a spokeswoman for the California Department of Industrial Relations.

The state likely will sue the pop star if the money isn't paid by a 5 p.m. (8 p.m. ET) Wednesday deadline, spokeswoman Rene Bacchini said Tuesday.

California granted Jackson a one-day extension but already has fined him $100,000 for failing to pay the back wages and an additional $69,000 for not having workers' compensation insurance for his employees.

In the meantime, Neverland employees were staying away from the ranch in compliance with the department's "stop order" imposed last week because of the insurance lapse, Bacchini said.

Jackson has not been living at Neverland in recent months. Shortly after he was acquitted on child molestation charges in June, he relocated to Bahrain, a small nation in the Persian Gulf.

He is due back in the United States on March 23 to give a deposition in a civil case in New York.

Investigators did find one Jackson family member volunteering as a security guard. Also, a veterinarian -- who preferred to remain anonymous -- has arranged to have all of Neverland's animal caretakers placed on his payroll so that Jackson's exotic animals could receive necessary care, Bacchini said.

The department also made arrangements with the local animal control agency to care for the animals "so they were never left without care," she said.

Neverland, equipped with an amusement park and a zoo, figured prominently in the child molestation case against Jackson.

Prosecutors charged that the one-time "King of Pop" used the ranch's playful atmosphere to lure teenage boys for his sexual gratification. Jackson steadfastly denied the charges, insisting Neverland was a haven for innocent fun.

After 32 hours of deliberation, a Santa Barbara County jury acquitted Jackson on all 10 charges against him.

During the trial, Jackson's representatives said he had no plans to sell Neverland or leave the country. They also denied assertions by prosecutors that he was facing severe financial problems.

But nearly four dozen employees at the ranch complained to the Department of Industrial Relations that they had not been paid since December. During the investigation of those complaints, the lapse in the workers' compensation coverage was uncovered.

CNN's Dree De Clamecy contributed to this report.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/15/jackson.employees/

So it looks like things are probably falling into place..:cool:

I wonder if he'll really have to show up in NY for that deposition, though (or if it will be via satellite or something:lol ). And what case is that? Schaffel?

A

Anonymous

So many dang cases, we can't even keep up.

I hope he pays and I hope he shows up to whatever deposition that is because he doesn't need to be fined, charged, or sued anymore.

Maiky

~Vicky~ said:

I hope he pays and I hope he shows up to whatever deposition that is because he doesn't need to be fined, charged, or sued anymore.

I think it's going to be solved:cool:

Maiky

~Vicky~ said:

I think it's going to be solved:cool:

Maiky

~Vicky~ said:

sorry, I posted the same message twice. Just erase this last topic of mine

~Vicky~ said:

Agreed..:(

I think he'll take care of it though..if he hasn't already. :cool: