How long?

R e a f u

It's been about two weeks since the news broke. There's countless mentions, tribute and the like on the radio/tv/internet. A bunch of people are coming from no where profession how much they love and are inspired by Michael when they hadn't before. Michael is the number one topic of discusson for entertainment news, the number one trend topic for twitter, plurk and a few other social networking sites and services. I wonder, how long do you think this sudden Michael interest will last? Do you think everyone will still be talking about him 6 months down the road? Will the media resume seeing him as an oddity? Or maybe, just maybe(if you're like me) you belive that this is the start of something positive? Positive in the sense that people will recognize him for his creative abilities and just treat him as a human being that deserves respect?

oldschoolfan

I think as long as it takes to find out why he died, where his body is now, who's getting his estate, who's getting his children, is Neverland turning into a memorial, why was he an addict, is there going to be any music released, how many more singers are going to do sh*tty impersonations of him, how much money did he have....
I think it will die down in a while, but let's not forget his birthday is coming up so something will surely be happening then too. I think every time more news comes out it will start up a bit again.

oldschoolfan;214029 said:
I think as long as it takes to find out why he died, where his body is now, who's getting his estate, who's getting his children, is Neverland turning into a memorial, why was he an addict, is there going to be any music released, how many more singers are going to do sh*tty impersonations of him, how much money did he have....
I think it will die down in a while, but let's not forget his birthday is coming up so something will surely be happening then too. I think every time more news comes out it will start up a bit again.

:thumbsup I couldnt agree more.
The media is hardly giong to let anything rest its going to be a repeat of Elvis but BIGGER.......

R e a f u

Somehow I feel even when his cause of death has finally been determined and everything relating to his children/music/estate/assets has been settled, Michael will still be a hot topic. Farrah Fawcet died the same day and do you see as much coverage about her? All that was mentioned was that she lost her battle with cancer, a little about Ryan and Tatum O'Neal and that's it. But if you go and turn on the tv right now and look at the news, every other story is about Michael. I asked my mom, did Elvis' death have this much attention and she said no, and Elvis was supposed to be the first "king" of the music world. It wouldn't surprise me if all the conspiracy theoriests have a field day with this for a good long while.

And I really hope something good is done for August 29th :D.

HeavenSent

You can never predict stuff like this because the role of the media is to milk it till its dry. There's way too many open ended questions right now. Too many.

oldschoolfan

R e a f u;214033 said:
Somehow I feel even when his cause of death has finally been determined and everything relating to his children/music/estate/assets has been settled, Michael will still be a hot topic. Farrah Fawcet died the same day and do you see as much coverage about her? All that was mentioned was that she lost her battle with cancer, a little about Ryan and Tatum O'Neal and that's it. But if you go and turn on the tv right now and look at the news, every other story is about Michael. I asked my mom, did Elvis' death have this much attention and she said no, and Elvis was supposed to be the first "king" of the music world. It wouldn't surprise me if all the conspiracy theoriests have a field day with this for a good long while.

And I really hope something good is done for August 29th :D.

I think perhaps Elvis dying wasn't as big because the media back then wasn't like what it is today, back then nobody cared if he ate his dinner with a knife and fork.

But speaking of Farrah, I wonder if the 2 of them have caught up since they died, I know they were friends in he 70's or 80's.

HeavenSent

Yep. Elvis lived and passed in a different era. There were no 24 hr news cycles, no cable t.v., no internet, nothing driving the insatiable urge to get breaking news before it even broke. The coverage of Michael's death was by comparison to Elvis', no comparison.

R e a f u

HeavenSent;214040 said:
Yep. Elvis lived and passed in a different era. There were no 24 hr news cycles, no cable t.v., no internet, nothing driving the insatiable urge to get breaking news before it even broke. The coverage of Michael's death was by comparison to Elvis', no comparison.

The exact same thing mom said.(Now to embarass my mother by showing how old she is :p) I went so far to ask if the JFK assassination had this much coverage, thinking the death of the president is pretty big and would be talked about as much as this is. Mom says there was a couple news paper articles and such on it, a few reports on the BBC(she was in England at the time). But definitely nothing of this magnitude. I think it's safe to say, history is being made, if only by the amount of media coverage.

Crazy4MiJac

Michael will remain a "hot topic" so long as things remain unsettled, as oldschoolfan said. His estate, his children, Neverland, his cause of death... I think once we know, for certain, the ruling on his death then a lot of this will damper down. Now, in the case that this investigation leads to criminal proceedings, that will open an entirely different can of worms... and definitely hold the media's attention for a much longer period of time.

Once the dust settles, the public gains closure and the shock wears off - we'll probably only hear about him periodically. We'll get occasional updates on his children, his posthumous material, the Jackson family and - of course - every year they'll make mention of the anniversary of his death, as they do for Elvis.

It's pretty clear, though, that 2009 is the "year of Michael Jackson."

I'm really curious to know how well his "new(?)" material will sell. Wouldn't it be wild if he swept the Grammys again?

I'll be tremendously surprised if he doesn't at least get an honorary something-or-another from pretty much every music awards show in the next year.

Crazy4MiJac

oldschoolfan;214141 said:
God. Michael really died.

Suddenly, I feel as though I've just been punched in the stomach. :mellow:

I think it's.. it's so easy to talk about because it just doesn't seem real to me. It's not possible. And then.. right now.. reading those words.. I think we're sharing a realization..

*hugs oldschoolfan* :(

oldschoolfan

Crazy4MiJac;214142 said:
Suddenly, I feel as though I've just been punched in the stomach. :mellow:

I think it's.. it's so easy to talk about because it just doesn't seem real to me. It's not possible. And then.. right now.. reading those words.. I think we're sharing a realization..

*hugs oldschoolfan* :(

*big hug*
Most of the time I'm fine but occasionally it will hit me, I here somehing or see something or think something and it's like 'no really, he died.'

Ugh, Death, how I hate you so! You better be worth it!:8-26-03ranting: