Human-faced sheep born

oldschoolfan

R e a f u;232858 said:
I think we're safe in that no ethics board would allow a geneticist to produce something like that. And if someone tried to do so, someone is bound to find out, report that person and have the whole project shut down.

I think I mentioned earlier that there are scientists who grow human organs in sheep, and in doing so there is the very real possibility that a part human, part sheep could be produced. I personally think that somewhere in the world something has already been done intentionally and we just don't know about it, I have to admit I have a great deal of curiosity as to what it would actually look like, but at the same time it just doesn't seem right.

Pirate.

oldschoolfan;232860 said:
I think I mentioned earlier that there are scientists who grow human organs in sheep, and in doing so there is the very real possibility that a part human, part sheep could be produced. I personally think that somewhere in the world something has already been done intentionally and we just don't know about it, I have to admit I have a great deal of curiosity as to what it would actually look like, but at the same time it just doesn't seem right.

They've already produced sheep 15% human. They don't look any different really. But then think about it: How close are apes to humans and we look pretty vastly different? :unsure:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-444436/Now-scientists-create-sheep-thats-15-human.html

Saphster

R e a f u;232858 said:
I think we're safe in that no ethics board would allow a geneticist to produce something like that. And if someone tried to do so, someone is bound to find out, report that person and have the whole project shut down.

But they've already done it though. way in 2007....

"Professor Esmail Zanjani, of the University of Nevada, has spent seven years and £5million perfecting the technique, which involves injecting adult human cells into a sheep's foetus."

(A little off topic but...)

So, they're going to eventually kill the animals whose organs they would use?

This reminds me of stem cell research...some argue that stem cell research in the future can lead to knowledge on how to clone humans. It is hard to say whether this can come true but we've seen devastating consequences of other research programs (and scientists..) even with good intentions, such as nuclear research. They already made the first human clone in December 2002. They used the same technique similar to the way they made the first sheep clone- Dolly the sheep. I don't like the idea of human cloning....only because I feel like people would use it to their advantages and treat the cloned people like animals and not take in the consideration of the clones. (ok done with off topic rant)

Pirate.

Saphster;232865 said:
But they've already done it though. way in 2007....

"Professor Esmail Zanjani, of the University of Nevada, has spent seven years and £5million perfecting the technique, which involves injecting adult human cells into a sheep's foetus."

(A little off topic but...)

So, they're going to eventually kill the animals whose organs they would use?

This reminds me of stem cell research...some argue that stem cell research in the future can lead to knowledge on how to clone humans. It is hard to say whether this can come true but we've seen devastating consequences of other research programs (and scientists..) even with good intentions, such as nuclear research. They already made the first human clone in December 2002. They used the same technique similar to the way they made the first sheep clone- Dolly the sheep. I don't like the idea of human cloning....only because I feel like people would use it to their advantages and treat the cloned people like animals and not take in the consideration of the clones. (ok done with off topic rant)

I don't think they would clone whole people, just parts. (If they could...well that ability is far, far off in the future...)The waiting lists for people who need organs is incredibly, incredibly long. And for organ donors to be able to help, they have to die first. Personally I don't think stem cell research is anything like nuclear research.... I wish we would fund it. People are dying, and we have the power to stop it. But we're not.

As far as the sheep thing goes? I'm all for it, myself...we kill animals to eat, and we don't even HAVE to eat meat. This is a hugely accepted practice in our society. So why is there a moral issue when the animals are being used to save human lives?

oldschoolfan

I am a vego and have been one for years. For me personally (and I consider myself a pretty open minded vego in comparison to others), it's not so much what is done but HOW it's done. I am not against killing an animal for food, I am against treating an animal poorly and not giving it a quality of lie and humane death purely because people think they are lesser creatures with lesser intelligence. I think that a lot of people play down an animals requirements because they consider them stupid, when really animals have the intelligence they require, they don't need to do the things we do therefore don't have the capability to think with that logic. But it doesn't make them stupid.
When an animal is killed for food it is losing it's life so that someone else can keep theirs be eating, so there should be a little bit of respect in that aspect. But I do not agree with a lot of vegos who are adamant that killing an animal is morally wrong, you need to think logically.
As for science with animals, I'm not so much into that, it really depends what it is, but I studied some aspects of animals in science last year and a lot of what is done isn't nice at all. it really scares me to think some animals are put through that. And I'm not talking about freaky cross breeding or whatever, nor am I talking about ALL animal research. But there are definite aspects I don't like at all.