If you learned of Michael\'s propofol use, what would you have done/said?

Palmyra

Let's suppose it's June 20th, 2009. You are Michael's friend (not a very close friend but a friend nonetheless), and while getting something from his room, you notice something suspicious: medical equipment and vials reading, "Propofol." You start Googling the medication's name and you learn it is very dangerous (potentially lethal) and that it shouldn't even be in a residential home.

What do you do/say? Nothing at all? Keep quiet? Say something? What would you say/do? How vocal would you be? Angrily yell at Michael if he doesn't listen?

Assume he's defensive.

Please don't change this hypothetical situation (e.g., don't say, "I wouldn't enter Michael's room if he's not there" or "I am not going to violate his privacy by reading his medical stuff.") Please stick to this scenario and question.

Saphster

"Look Michael I'm not trying to be nosy here...because I wasn't trying to pry into your personal life. Remember when I was getting something from your room? Well...I saw something that seemed kinda odd to me and so I googled it. Yeah I searched it on the internet because I was curious. I know it's not my place but I'm just concerned because it's just...well...it's dangerous. Why are you using that?"

I'd be straight up with him but then again would be polite about it. My tone would be calm and I would express concern and worry over the side affects and how it's not right for him to use it. If he was using it to sleep I would have suggested for him to visit doctor's that specialize in sleeping disorders. I would have gladly searched for doctor office's and given him a print out of all the ones I would have found.

I also would have told him, "I care about you....just think about this real good. I know I'm no one of importance in your life but I do care about you. Think about it. If something happens to you...what will happen to your children? Think of your family and fans. This is not a good solution."

If he wouldn't listen then I'd keep trying. I can't get angry and I have no right to yell at him when I haven't walked in his shoes for a day. So, I'd be calm and try to find the reasons behind why he would be taking propofol and talk to him about it...if he wanted to talk about it that is.

asandra

Really hard question!
Of course he would be deffensive... Most of his closest people didn't know that, and that was because he didn't intent this to be known.

I think the only person who could save him were to be a lover, not a fan.

Am sure many relatives tried to deal with him. But his position was always to choose what to do, (repeating "I am Michael Jackson!"). The result was no succes. Why, only God knows. They know him good enough to have the best approach, but still...
We may presume that their efforts didn't reach up to his soul. If "channeling" was the mood to lead him where he wanted for the shows, he would go on this way!

From all thosand of witness pages I read these months, the only moments I understand he was low-guarded was: while being in love.

So I think for a fan would have been an impossible mission.

Pirate.

I dunno, I really doubt his use of this drug was totally his fault. I think (especially the Hollywood-type, bigwig celebrity) doctors around him told him whatever he needed to hear to get paid for giving him drugs he didn't need and could become dependent on (so they could KEEP getting paid).

I think in the back of his mind he thought 'maybe I shouldn't be doing this' and that's why it was so well hidden. Er, mostly well hidden.

Personally I don't know what would have worked in this situation. Ultimately Michael would listen to Michael about these kinds of things--and nobody else. Of course I would speak up, say something directly. Yelling, though, would make it a hostile situation and would be totally counter-productive...If I could've begged him on hands and knees to drop these phony doctors and their poison I would have. I wish I had that opportunity.

The fact is, I don't. :'(

Ben

I don't think anyone apart from Michael and Dr. Murray knew Michael was taking propofol and most of us wouldn't have known was propofol was, and would have assumed it was a medicine for insomia if we questioned Michael and he gave us his response (maybe even Michael himself thought it was for insomia and not an anastetic drug). So if I was a friend I would have just thought Michael was healthy like everyone else did, and maybe just tired from rehearsals. If I was a friend or even an employee who got to meet various associates of Michael's like Dr. Murray. I would have told him I don't like Dr. Murray because something about him makes me feel uncomfortable, and that he should get another doctor. Both Dr. Murray and Arnie Klein are two doctors I wouldn't have used if I had met them, as both look incompetent and unprofessional to me. Arine Klein may not be incompetent (though he sounds like he's on drugs when he talks), but he's sure turned out to be untrustworthy.

It's most likely Michael wouldn't have listened to my advice, because until Michael was killed by Dr. Murray's incompetence he was doing a job that Michael was statisfied with. So there wouldn't have been any need in Michael's mind to question himself about using Dr. Murray, even though Dr. Murray wasn't giving Michael the correct treatment for his insomia. Michael's not a doctor so he wouldn't have known the treatment he was receiving was wrong and not a full cure for insomia. Michael may not even have known he how dangerous propofol was, because I can't imagine Michael knowingly putting himself in danger each night where the slightest mistake would kill him.

I don't blame Michael for his death, I do question his judgement on trusting the wrong people with with Dr. Murray being the worst of all of those people, because he ended Michael's life was and that's Dr. Murray's fault and no one else's. Maybe Michael would have still been alive if he had called for an ambulance straight way when he found he'd left Michael too long, whilst wasting his time and AEG's (who were paying Dr. Murray) money and Michael's life talking to his girlfriend in the phone. Lazy and incompetent is was Dr. Murray is, and he hasn't even said he's sad that Michael is dead.

LittleSusie50

To me, Michael seemed to be very stubborn at times.
That could be good or bad for some.
I'm gonna tie this scenario into a real life situation.
Its embarassing, but oh well.
A former boyfriend was not fond of using condoms.
I angrily explained to him that this is why so many people have AIDS.
They don't wanna have that 'conversation' because their partner will get angry. I tried in vain to explain to him that it was for his protection as well,
but he wasn't trying to hear me. He was the proud papa of two teenage boys,
ages 15 and 17. I'm sure they were either toying with the idea of having sex, or they had already sex. I asked him straight out:
"What if your sons decided not to use condoms? Would that be okay with you?" He got extremely angry and said "They know better than to do something like that!!!"
I said "Exactly! And you should know better too!!!!!!!!! YOU can get AIDS just as easily as they can by having unprotected sex!"

So, for Michael, my first inclination would be to throw all of that $hit away.
But instead of letting my temper get the best of me, I would ask him what it was for, allowing him to explain like I didn't already know.

"Cool Michael. You know, Blanket has been having a lot of nightmares lately and he's afraid to go to sleep. Mind if I give him a little squirt of this at bedtime? I promise I'll stay up all night and watch him. Scout's honor..."
Pulling the 'kid card' usually works.
Wish I had had the opportunity. I betcha he'd still be walking the Earth today.
In case you haven't noticed, I can be a real bitch when I wanna be...:cryptic

Saphster

LittleSusie50;228502 said:
To me, Michael seemed to be very stubborn at times.
That could be good or bad for some.
I'm gonna tie this scenario into a real life situation.
Its embarassing, but oh well.
A former boyfriend was not fond of using condoms.
I angrily explained to him that this is why so many people have AIDS.
They don't wanna have that 'conversation' because their partner will get angry. I tried in vain to explain to him that it was for his protection as well,
but he wasn't trying to hear me. He was the proud papa of two teenage boys,
ages 15 and 17. I'm sure they were either toying with the idea of having sex, or they had already sex. I asked him straight out:
"What if your sons decided not to use condoms? Would that be okay with you?" He got extremely angry and said "They know better than to do something like that!!!"
I said "Exactly! And you should know better too!!!!!!!!! YOU can get AIDS just as easily as they can by having unprotected sex!"

So, for Michael, my first inclination would be to throw all of that $hit away.
But instead of letting my temper get the best of me, I would ask him what it was for, allowing him to explain like I didn't already know.

"Cool Michael. You know, Blanket has been having a lot of nightmares lately and he's afraid to go to sleep. Mind if I give him a little squirt of this at bedtime? I promise I'll stay up all night and watch him. Scout's honor..."
Pulling the 'kid card' usually works.
Wish I had had the opportunity. I betcha he'd still be walking the Earth today.
In case you haven't noticed, I can be a real bitch when I wanna be...:cryptic

Well, I bet it would've worked better than all of those "Yes Michael, whatever you say," kind of people he had walking around him all the time. It doesn't seem like he had many real people he could relate to.

asandra

Hi Susie!
You went inside like a mother. I have my own child and experience means alot. In the very first weeks I felt something like that, being angry and upset of how many mothers around him didn't feel signs of something going wrong. I even felt angry on Lisa Marie for not loving him enough!

But guys we were not there!
He is A VERY STRONG CHARACTER. (I wilfully speak about him on present tense)
He chosed to be virgin up to 30 or something. This doesn't tell you anything?
He chosed to focus on creation.
He chosed to break records.
He chosed to break SO MANY LEVELS!
He chosed channeling. Remember? Do you really know what is like?

He also had around him genuine good friends.
There are so many levels where NONE OF US could even imagine how is to succed reaching upthere. To go where no one else can go. It is like being in the same time a mother, a father, a climber, an extraordinary dancer, a visionary spirit, an intuitive businessman. Any level with hostile media surrounding is enough to eat you alive.

And to remain trully a child in your heart.
Do you still think we may be close enough to understand?:unsure: