\'It\'s a Sin To Kill a Mockingbird\'

Tabloid Junkie

It’s a Sin to Kill a Mockingbird

‘It’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.’ Well, at least that’s what Atticus Finch firmly stated within the classic Harper Lee novel, ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’. This mere statement is a complex expansion that is a representation of all truths we hold to be self evident.

Can this classic ‘truth’ be held to represent current events in society today? Of course.

When Harper Lee penned that line, it thoroughly and firmly suggested that…well, like I said…it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird. Mockingbirds represent the form of innocence, as they are simply species that contain normal individuality and are not associated with wrongdoing. Wouldn’t it be wrong to terminate that creatures’ life, when it never engaged in unnecessary behavior nor participated in any wrongdoing?

Michael Jackson is that of a mockingbird. Okay, let me explain; it’s not as corny if you would comprehend my corroboration of this ‘bold’ statement. Mike portrays the qualities of a mockingbird; pure innocence, individuality and genius. His status is grossly misunderstood.

In a brief summary, it’s quite obvious there were ordeals Mike persisted through. Vultures, whom don’t share the same qualities of a mockingbird, tried to ‘blockade’ the path in which Michael was following…the path is his legacy.

Philanthropy and humanity are additional great qualities Michael processes, and contributes.

So, simply, ask yourself…isn’t it a sin to hurt the innocent? Innocence would not only be associated regarding legal terms, but also within moral terms. Simple put-downs, attempted jokes, slander, and hate are all aspects of the unfortunate majority.

Okay, again, it is a sin to kill a mockingbird; Michael Jackson. Just think about it.

-Jordan

So, simply, ask yourself…isn’t it a sin to hurt the innocent? Innocence would not only be associated regarding legal terms, but also within moral terms. Simple put-downs, attempted jokes, slander, and hate are all aspects of the unfortunate majority.
I agree. This is very well written. Well, not only the innocent, but all people in general. We are all human beings that were once, or keep an innocent part within our mindset. I guess what it comes down to is simple respect for everyone; the kind of respect we should all have, but fail to when misconceptions cloud the ideals we had.
Still, I see where this is coming from and yes, sure, people tried to stand in his way and create misconceptions, but it doesn't make people vultures that are compeltely evil. It makes them mere opportunists, and weak minded. It doesn't make them 'evil' it just makes them people. People make mistakes. Everyone does, whether they are coincidental or on purpose.

MJJ_Lover

Ooo great and insightful reflection Jordan. I truly loved reading it, and it is veryyy well written. :)
I've read this book too; last year for school. I paralleled many aspects of this book to Michael. The 'justice' system was abused as a medium through which the general society could enforce their persecutory condemnation of the 'mockingbird'. Robinson is convicted on inconsistant testimonies, no ocular proof... nothing.
There's an amazing quote in the book... I'll just go find it. Ooo here it is:

'The witnesses for the state, with the exception of the sherrif of Maycomb County, have presented themselves to you gentlemen, to this court, in the cynical confidence that their testimony would not be doubted, confident that you gentlemen would go along with them on the assumption - the evil assumption - that all Negoes lie, that all Negroes are basically immoral beings, and that all Negro men are not to be trusted around our women...'

Radley, the neighbour, is also slandered and is at the butt of scurrilous rumours and that crap. The 'media', or those dissecting and sensationising Radley, create a completely fictitious caricature; an embodiment of their fears, and a catalyst for consumate fear, to control the society. I feel that a completely fabricated 'Michael Jackson' was concocted - the antithesis of who he truly is. That's something that really struck a choard with me.

Tabloid Junkie

Originally posted by MJJ_Lover@Oct 25 2005, 07:28 AM
Ooo great and insightful reflection Jordan. I truly loved reading it, and it is veryyy well written. :)
I've read this book too; last year for school. I paralleled many aspects of this book to Michael. The 'justice' system was abused as a medium through which the general society could enforce their persecutory condemnation of the 'mockingbird'. Robinson is convicted on inconsistant testimonies, no ocular proof... nothing.
There's an amazing quote in the book... I'll just go find it. Ooo here it is:

'The witnesses for the state, with the exception of the sherrif of Maycomb County, have presented themselves to you gentlemen, to this court, in the cynical confidence that their testimony would not be doubted, confident that you gentlemen would go along with them on the assumption - the evil assumption - that all Negoes lie, that all Negroes are basically immoral beings, and that all Negro men are not to be trusted around our women...'

Radley, the neighbour, is also slandered and is at the butt of scurrilous rumours and that crap. The 'media', or those dissecting and sensationising Radley, create a completely fictitious caricature; an embodiment of their fears, and a catalyst for consumate fear, to control the society. I feel that a completely fabricated 'Michael Jackson' was concocted - the antithesis of who he truly is. That's something that really struck a choard with me.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback :)

Exactly my point. Misconceptions of Radley can parallel or relate to misconceptions of Mike. :mellow: The way society views a matter is commonly influenced by what they hear, or the motives of those trying to 'blockade' anyone's path. This is evident not only back then, but also today.

Thanks for the insight. :tooexcite

The way society views a matter is commonly influenced by what they hear, or the motives of those trying to 'blockade' anyone's path. This is evident not only back then, but also today.

It'll probably always be evident. At least for as long as people keep teaching others that we need to be 'accepted' to feel accomplished in this world.
Oh, and I've read the book too. Loved it. It's one of my faves and I usually take it to most trips I go on...

MJJ_Lover

Oo Albamelia, if you ever get the chance, you should check it out. :)
You might study it though, if you are at school.
There's the movie too :)

MJJ_Lover

awww I should see it properly, cos I've only seen parts. :) I've heard it is though; thank you Jordan, and thank you for your compliment too. :D

lia

that was a brilliant way to put it. i love that book. had to study it 4 my english lit GCSE.
wish i could have thought of that, would have really impressed my teachar!!lol!