Karma For Friedman!

alfredo

Friedman Fired from Fox!. Always claiming dubious and often fictional, clandestine sources, Friedman was brought down by his own arrogance. He always wants to be first no matter what. He claimed MJ was broke and "suggested" he sell his catalog...wrong! Suggested it was all over for MJ so that the lazy mass media would follow along... They did and you were all wrong! Then, you had a hand in the pirating of the MJ/Akon song to thwart MJ's efforts. You got away with that one. Then in the same manner as the MJ/Akon collaboration, you went after a major studio. Your arrogance is staggering!!!! But now here you are all alone in all your self-righteousness, and contrived self-importance. I'm sure another sleazy publication will inquire of your services but for now, enjoy your time in the wilderness.:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Movies/story?id=7262112&page=1

Columnist Fired Over Review of Pirated 'Wolverine'
Despite Company Statement, Columnist Says 'There Was No Action Taken Against Me'
By KI MAE HEUSSNER and SHEILA MARIKAR
April 5, 2009 –

A Fox News columnist has reportedly been fired over a review of a pirated version of the new X-Men movie, "Wolverine," but the columnist himself suggests no official response has been taken.

Although it has since been deleted from the news outlet's Web site, Roger Friedman's online column, "Fox 411," last week featured a review of a leaked copy of 20th Century Fox's anticipated blockbuster "X-Men Origins: Wolverine." The movie isn't due to hit to theaters until next month and a leaked copy surfaced online last Wednesday.

News Corporation, the parent company of 20th Century Fox and Fox News, swiftly condemned Friedman's actions as promoting piracy.

"Roger Friedman's views in no way reflect the views of News Corporation. We, along with 20th Century Fox Film Corporation, have been a consistent leader in the fight against piracy and have zero tolerance for any action that encourages and promotes piracy," the company said in a statement issued Sunday.

"When we advised Fox News of the facts they took immediate action, removed the post, and promptly terminated Mr. Friedman," it continued.

A Fox News spokesperson told ABCNews.com, "This is an internal matter that we're not prepared to discuss at this time."

When contacted by ABCNews.com, Friedman also said it was an internal matter and said no response had been taken from News Corp. and Fox News.

"There was no action taken against me," he said.

Friedman apparently gave the unfinished movie, which is scheduled to open May 1, high marks, according to New York magazine.

"I doubt anyone else has seen this film. But everyone can relax. I am, in fact, amazed about how great 'Wolverine' turned out. It exceeds expectations at every turn ..." he said, according to the magazine's Web site.

But now that the film has been leaked online, analysts estimate that thousands of people may have already seen the movie and it could affect the movie's bottom line. Once a film hits peer-to-peer file-sharing networks, stamping out all clips and incarnations of it can be difficult.

"We immediately contacted the appropriate authorities and had it removed," 20th Century Fox Film, the film's distributor, said earlier in a statement.

FBI Working With Fox to Uncover Source of the Leak
Fox said it plans to determine the source of the leak through forensic means.

"The FBI and the MPAA [Motion Picture Association of America] also are actively investigating this crime. We are encouraged by the support of fan sites condemning this illegal posting," Fox said.

According to Fox, the leaked copy was missing many special effects and included temporary sound and music -- but Friedman wasn't the only one to watch the film and review it online.

The blog "In GOB We Trust" panned the movie, saying it didn't live up to its comic book origins.

"I just am so disappointed with this movie," blog co-founder Chris Lemke wrote. "They seemed to have all the tools to make this work and instead decided to dumb it down and essentially make a cartoon. & After this one, I don't have much hope for the rest of the franchise. If you are set on watching this, good luck."

Could 'Wolverine's' Bottom Line Suffer?
The leak of "Wolverine" is the latest instance of what's become a problem for the movie industry. In 2005, eight people were charged with copyright-infringement offenses related to the leaking of "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith."

In 2003, Universal's "Hulk" emerged on the Internet two weeks before its theatrical release. The film still raked in $62 million in its opening weekend, but a week later its haul dwindled to $19 million. "Hulk" ended up being a financial failure, not grossing enough to cover its $137 million production budget -- though that may have been due more to a poor critical and audience reception rather than the Internet leak.

Considering "Hulk's" fate, if the "Wolverine" leak doesn't generate an onslaught of bad reviews like the one by Lemke, it stands to reason that the film will do just fine at the box office.

"In some ways, this is sort of like 'X-Men 4,' and when you get to the fourth installment of any series, you can have audience erosion," said Gitesh Pandya, editor of BoxOfficeGuru.com. "So this movie really needs to excite the fan base."

And if more fans than not are enticed by what they saw online, it's likely they'll line up to see "Wolverine" on the big screen.

People Still May Want to See X-Men Flick on Big Screen
"Fox wants to show off this film in its best possible light, and this takes away some of their ability to market the film effectively, but seeing it in its unfinished version may just whet the appetite for people to see it again on the big screen," said Paul Dergarabedian, a box office analyst for Hollywood.com. "People are still going to want to go and see this movie the way it was meant to be seen."

Copyright © 2009 ABC News Internet Ventures

HeavenSent

Serves him right. I hope he has time to think while standing in that unemployment line.

sunshine.larrazabal;209935 said:
POOR friedman!! I hope Bashir is next then sneddon, then dimond!! :8-26-03ranting:

Sneddon and Dimond are so irrelevant these days, it's like who are they?

All I want to know is how the hell Bashir got a job with Nightline. With those beady eyes. He's a joke.

I'm sorry, but......

LMAO!!!! :rollin:lol:lol

This day has been a longgg time coming! Pretty savvy move, even for Fixed Noise! Karma's quite the bitch, ain't it Friedman? :bleh

Now if they'd only do something similar with Hannity, O'Reilly, Beck, and the gang, but that's a whole other story...lol...

BTW-- This is O/T, but I friggin' :wub: your siggy pic, Carla! Are they not the hottest First Couple...EVER? :p

alfredo

Ain't too proud to Beg......Ain't pleeeead baby baby....Please don't leave me or let me go!!!:bleh:bleh:bleh:bleh:bleh:bleh:bleh

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Movies/story?id=7268500&page=1

Fox Columnist Fighting for His Job
Columnist Meeting With Fox Executives Today Over Column
By LUCHINA FISHER, KI MAE HEUSSNER and SHEILA MARIKAR
April 6, 2009–

Roger Friedman, the longtime Fox News online columnist, is reportedly meeting with Fox executives today to determine his fate after he reviewed a pirated version of the X-Men sequel "Wolverine."

Two Web sites, The Huffington Post and Gawker, were reporting that Friedman was scheduled to this morning with Roger Ailes, the Fox News chief, and John Moody, his executive vice president for editorial, to plead his case for keeping his job and online column "Fox 411."

ABCNews.com reported Sunday that Friedman was fired after News Corp., the parent company of Fox News, advised the news outlet to terminate Friedman for reviewing a leaked copy of "X-Men Origins: Wolverine."

The highly anticipated movie was produced by 20th Century Fox, which is also owned by News Corp.

The film starring Hugh Jackman isn't due to hit to theaters until next month but a leaked copy surfaced online Wednesday.

"Roger Friedman's views in no way reflect the views of News Corp. We, along with 20th Century Fox Film Corp., have been a consistent leader in the fight against piracy and have zero tolerance for any action that encourages and promotes piracy," the company said in a statement issued Sunday.

"When we advised Fox News of the facts they took immediate action, removed the post and promptly terminated Mr. Friedman," it said.

But when contacted by ABCNews.com, Friedman, who has been with Fox News for 13 years, said, "There was no action taken against me."

When reached this morning by ABCNews.com, Friedman referred any questions to a Fox News representative.

Gawker is reporting that Friedman may not have been fired Sunday, but could well be terminated today.

A Fox News representative maintained its statement given to ABCNews.com Sunday: "This is an internal matter that we're not prepared to discuss at this time."

That could change after today's meeting.

Friedman apparently gave the unfinished movie, which is scheduled to open May 1, high marks, according to New York magazine.

"I doubt anyone else has seen this film. But everyone can relax. I am, in fact, amazed about how great 'Wolverine' turned out. It exceeds expectations at every turn," he said, according to the magazine's Web site.

Now that the film has been leaked online, analysts estimate that thousands of people may have already seen the movie and that it could affect the movie's bottom line. Once a film hits peer-to-peer file-sharing networks, stamping out all clips and incarnations of it can be difficult.

"We immediately contacted the appropriate authorities and had it removed," 20th Century Fox Film, the film's distributor, said earlier in a statement.

"The FBI and the MPAA [Motion Picture Association of America] also are actively investigating this crime. We are encouraged by the support of fan sites condemning this illegal posting," Fox said.

According to Fox, the leaked copy was missing many special effects and included temporary sound and music -- but Friedman wasn't the only one to watch the film and review it online.

The blog In GOB We Trust panned the movie, saying it didn't live up to its comic book origins.

"I just am so disappointed with this movie," blog co-founder Chris Lemke wrote. "They seemed to have all the tools to make this work and instead decided to dumb it down and essentially make a cartoon. & After this one, I don't have much hope for the rest of the franchise. If you are set on watching this, good luck."

The leak of "Wolverine" is the latest instance of what's become a problem for the movie industry. In 2005, eight people were charged with copyright-infringement offenses related to the leaking of "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith."

In 2003, Universal's "Hulk" emerged on the Internet two weeks before its theatrical release. The film still raked in $62 million in its opening weekend, but a week later its haul dwindled to $19 million.

"Hulk" ended up being a financial failure, not grossing enough to cover its $137 million production budget -- though that may have been due more to a poor critical and audience reception rather than the Internet leak.

Considering "Hulk's" fate, if the "Wolverine" leak doesn't generate an onslaught of bad reviews like the one by Lemke, it stands to reason that the film will do just fine at the box office.

"In some ways, this is sort of like 'X-Men 4,' and when you get to the fourth installment of any series, you can have audience erosion," said Gitesh Pandya, editor of BoxOfficeGuru.com. "So this movie really needs to excite the fan base."

People Still May Want to See 'X-Men' Flick on Big Screen
"Fox wants to show off this film in its best possible light, and this takes away some of their ability to market the film effectively, but seeing it in its unfinished version may just whet the appetite for people to see it again on the big screen," said Paul Dergarabedian, a box office analyst for Hollywood.com. "People are still going to want to go and see this movie the way it was meant to be seen."

HeavenSent

InspirationMoonwalks;209941 said:
I'm sorry, but......

LMAO!!!! :rollin:lol:lol

This day has been a longgg time coming! Pretty savvy move, even for Fixed Noise! Karma's quite the bitch, ain't it Friedman? :bleh

Now if they'd only do something similar with Hannity, O'Reilly, Beck, and the gang, but that's a whole other story...lol...

BTW-- This is O/T, but I friggin' :wub: your siggy pic, Carla! Are they not the hottest First Couple...EVER? :p

As long as they have an audience, Hannity and Co will always have a forum, unfortunately. In a way, I'm glad they're on the air because it makes for a good laugh. All of 'em are in their own alternate universe, because there's no way in hell their platforms will ever win elections for their heroes.

Sorry, got a little politic in me this afternoon. :rolleyes::lol

I love my siggy too, Tara! I love celebrating them!

HeavenSent;209943 said:
As long as they have an audience, Hannity and Co will always have a forum, unfortunately. In a way, I'm glad they're on the air because it makes for a good laugh. All of 'em are in their own alternate universe, because there's no way in hell their platforms will ever win elections for their heroes.
Sorry, got a little politic in me this afternoon. :rolleyes::lol

I love my siggy too, Tara! I love celebrating them!

Oh, I can definitely see the point in that. After all, everytime they open up their mouths, Pres. Obama and the Dem's approval ratings go up a little more (from already being sky high). So I guess there's a silver lining in everything. :p

The Obamas=:wub: And Michelle's one hell of a lucky woman, for various (and obvious) reasons. I'm gonna find my own Barack someday! :p:D

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
When you work for the bank, you should not brag that you stole their money!

The world is an odd place. Despite the letter of the law, it seems that right from wrong depends on your relativistic take on an issue these days - and there’s an amazing perceived gray area to the issue of copyright infringement. In the end, we all do what we’re going to do and then we defend our take on our behavior, regardless of what it is.

Folks have… interesting ways of looking at the world.

Then there are those in public positions who pursue the “illegal” path, admit to it, and don’t think about their actions.

When a work print of X-Men Origins: Wolverine found itself floating out on the Internet, it was big for quite a few people. Of the many thousands of folk who saw it, some just had to brag about their deed and then write a review on the work print.

One of those folks is Roger Friedman and he used to work for a subsidiary of News Corp called Fox 411. In fact he worked for FoxNews for over 10 years.

After Wolverine escaped the confines of the 20th Century Fox post production world, Friedman seemed to go on a one way trip toward destined unemployment.

For whatever reason, he bragged about the ease of how he could get a copy of any of the present box-office top-10 films from the Internet, but disk space and time seemed to be his only constraint. Friedman also wrote a review of the work print of Wolverine.

How do I put it… Oops.

Fox was publicly adamant about their position on the illegal status of their work print being uploaded, and had brought in the FBI to pursue the issue.

When Fox discovered what Friedman wrote, his bosses felt his article was a blatant promotion of piracy.

Seeing as how a Fox employee is promoting the very thing that they deemed harmful to their technological property, they took swift action. Friedman’s article was removed and he was let go from his position of 10 years.

Afterward, News Corp said

“Roger Friedman’s views in no way reflect the views of News Corporation.”

And 20th Century Fox said,

“We’ve just been made aware that Roger Friedman, a freelance columnist who writes Fox 411 on Foxnews.com — an entirely separate company from 20th Century Fox – watched on the internet and reviewed a stolen and unfinished version of ‘X-Men Orgins: Wolverine.’ This behavior is reprehensible and we condemn this act categorically – whether the review is good or bad.”

Look, like I’ve learned from my previous article on the issue, and said earlier, we all have out different perspectives on the issue of copyrighted material. But when you work for a subsidiary of the company which publicly declared the circumstances surrounding this issue to be a scandal, you’d think some level of logical reasoning should have kicked in and Friedman could have taken a slightly higher road than he did.

As it is, this would seem to be the first official casualty from this work print debacle. As we wait, we’ll find out what more the coming days have in store.

UPDATE 4/6/09

There is conjecture floating around that Roger Friedman was not fired.

His blog is still up, sans the offending Wolverine post and Friedman said in an interview with ABC news that:

There was no action taken against me.

Other news is that Friedman has a meeting with News Corp execs to discuss the issue. Not sure what there is to discuss, but there’s the latest tidbit.

Source: http://screenrant.com/fox-news-fires-journalist-wolverine-review-brusimm-6541/

===============

Is he fired or not?

HeavenSent

His blog is still up, sans the offending Wolverine post and Friedman said in an interview with ABC news that:

Other news is that Friedman has a meeting with News Corp execs to discuss the issue. Not sure what there is to discuss, but there’s the latest tidbit.

So he gets to remove his post and that's it? Damn, damn, damn!:lol

I hope to God that he's meeting with News Corp for them to explain in detail why he's such a loser and will never be on anyone A-list. I mean, the man is just yuk. You'd think he'd know the ropes by now about Hollywood protocol. His post about Wolverine was in danger of messing with other people's money. Let his doughy ass go!

HeavenSent

I hope that's not true! So he gets to remove his post and that's it? Damn, damn, damn!:lol

I hope to God that he's meeting with News Corp for them to explain in detail why he's such a loser and will never be on anyone A-list I mean, the man is just yuk. You'd think he'd know the ropes by now about Hollywood protocol. This post about Wolverine was in danger of messing with other people's money. Let him go!

danaluvsmj

I'm not really surprised.Friedman has shown what a real sleazebag he is. Sorry, but the law is the law, and movie piracy has consequences, and he should be punished.

alfredo

People are missing the point with this fool!!! He's done this over and over. He is always reviewing stolen songs from MJ, Mariah, Britney, et. al. He thought he was above it all then and he thinks he is now! Fox will lack all credibility (whatever is left) if it basically says the rights of some artists superceeds the rights of others...namely those in our employ who bring profit back to us!!!

I think this guy should be investigated by the FBI. I think he really does have clandestine sources (co-conspiritors, if you will!!!!) :lol:lol:lol:lol

alfredo

Fox News Columnist Roger Friedman Fired
Fox News Confirms End of Relationship With Friedman, Who Reviewed Pirated 'Wolverine'
By LUCHINA FISHER, KI MAE HEUSSNER and SHEILA MARIKAR

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Movies/story?id=7268500&page=1

April 6, 2009–

Roger Friedman, the longtime Fox News online columnist, is no longer working for the news organization after reviewing a pirated version of the X-Men sequel "Wolverine."

"Fox News representatives and Roger Friedman met today and mutually agreed to part ways immediately," Fox News said in statement Monday. "Fox News appreciates Mr. Friedman's ten years of contributions to building foxnews.com and wishes him success in his future endeavors. Mr. Friedman is grateful to his colleagues for their friendship and support over the past decade."

Translation:Shut the f&@! up and don't let the door knob hit ya where the good Lord split ya!--alfredo

Two Web sites, The Huffington Post and Gawker, reported that Friedman was scheduled to meet this morning with Roger Ailes, the Fox News chief, and John Moody, his executive vice president for editorial, to plead his case for keeping his job and online column "Fox 411."

ABCNews.com reported Sunday that Friedman was fired after News Corp., the parent company of Fox News, advised the news outlet to terminate Friedman for reviewing a leaked copy of "X-Men Origins: Wolverine."

The highly anticipated movie was produced by 20th Century Fox, which is also owned by News Corp.

The film starring Hugh Jackman isn't due to hit to theaters until next month but a leaked copy surfaced online Wednesday.

"Roger Friedman's views in no way reflect the views of News Corp. We, along with 20th Century Fox Film Corp., have been a consistent leader in the fight against piracy and have zero tolerance for any action that encourages and promotes piracy," the company said in a statement issued Sunday.

"When we advised Fox News of the facts they took immediate action, removed the post and promptly terminated Mr. Friedman," it said.

But when contacted by ABCNews.com, Friedman, who has been with Fox News for 13 years, said, "There was no action taken against me."

When reached this morning by ABCNews.com, Friedman referred any questions to a Fox News representative.

"I doubt anyone else has seen this film. But everyone can relax. I am, in fact, amazed about how great 'Wolverine' turned out. It exceeds expectations at every turn," he said, according to the magazine's Web site.

Now that the film has been leaked online, analysts estimate that thousands of people may have already seen the movie and that it could affect the movie's bottom line. Once a film hits peer-to-peer file-sharing networks, stamping out all clips and incarnations of it can be difficult.

The blog In GOB We Trust panned the movie, saying it didn't live up to its comic book origins.

In 2003, Universal's "Hulk" emerged on the Internet two weeks before its theatrical release. The film still raked in $62 million in its opening weekend, but a week later its haul dwindled to $19 million.

"Hulk" ended up being a financial failure, not grossing enough to cover its $137 million production budget -- though that may have been due more to a poor critical and audience reception rather than the Internet leak.

People Still May Want to See 'X-Men' Flick on Big Screen

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the update alfredo! :)

My, my, my. Friedchicken really stepped into it this time and lost his perch. Too bad. I'm sure some desperate hack of an online 'organization' will be eager to snatch up the trash.

alfredo

That's true Whisper. But hopefully since each of the major networks are owned or partnered with major studios and/or record labels. Who wants to pick up a guy that violates the principles of RIAA and the Motion Picture Association by being complicit in the theft that they spend millions upon millions to eliminate all while pissing off their loyal fan base and while the guy that works for them legitimizes the very same act? I wouldn't want to be that news exec that makes that decision. The respective industry execs and artists would be rightfully pissed.

The most probable scenario, in my opinion, is the NY Post his "arch enemy" - They're always stealing from me - or TMZ. The good news for MJ fans is that he looses his high level perch to spread hate. The #1 news source is Fox (no matter how we hate it). The other lazy bums in the media simply read his site for entertainment "info". So now they'll have to work harder to find the fool. Like "Where's Waldo?".

Of course, ABC/CBS/MSNBC could take short term pain for what might appear to be long term gain. But the fear of the pain should keep his a** off the major networks' web sites. Who takes a chance in this climate? Where every controversy causes loss of market share. Lest we forget, the FBI is involved. I wouldn't be surprised if our friend is an accessory before/after the fact!!!:bleh

I really like another scenario where he does a blog like Perez Hilton. So he can be ignored as well. :lol:michaeljacksonicon:

I am loving this.. CHEERS to all! Bon voyage to friedman wherever he will go... I am just trying to be sarcastic, right friedman--- FIRED because he's been fried!!! :bleh