King of Pop still thrives (April 20 2005)

classicaldj

King of Pop still thrives

Michael's impact lives on despite recent bizarre behavior

By Lacy Birk , Editorials Writer Published: 4-20-2005

He holds the record for best selling album of all time worldwide (50 million) and best selling original album in the United States (25 million). The largest audience ever, 133.4 million, watched him perform at Super Bowl XXVII. His first solo tour grossed $124 million in just 15 months -- also a record. He was the first to enter the billboard charts at number one, and he holds the record for most Top Ten singles for one album with six. Not sure who I'm referring to? Read on ...

He also has an obsession with plastic surgery, masks his children in public and lives at a place he calls "Neverland." His best friend is Elizabeth Taylor, he hangs out with young kids and he's rumored to be bankrupt and in debt. The culmination of these eccentricities surfaced on Dec. 18, 2003 when he was charged with seven counts of child molestation for which he is currently on trial.

Unfortunately, Michael Jackson's bizarre conduct has assailed his superstar excellence and in the meantime, his seemingly dual persona has left many of his fans in quite a quandary. Is it possible to discern between the King of Pop and Jacko the Wacko? Can the beloved image of MJ be salvaged from the freak that has become his fate? Can one adore his music and abhor his behavior? For the sake of my pop-sanity, it must be so.

Michael's slow departure from all social standards and facial normalcy has delivered a series of awkward and embarrassing blows to his fans, but somehow we've managed to stick by him, for better or for worse ... but not for child molestation. Michael Jackson crossed the lines of civility, legality and popstar-fan relations. Clearly we cannot go on supporting someone convicted of such terrible crimes. What will we do if he's found guilty? Throw away our CD's? Burn our posters? Behead our dolls?

Fortunately, there's more to Michael Jackson than holding babies over railings, a 12-year-old-girl-like whisper and capitol offense charges. In his No.1 hit, "Man in the Mirror," Jackson writes, "If you wanna make the world a better place / Take a look at yourself and then make that change." In "Earth Song," yet another No.1 hit, Michael sings, "Heal the world / Make it a better place / For you and for me / And the entire human race." Clearly, he has not lived up to the lyrics in these songs, but does that make their messages any less true? Of course not, there was once a time when he had much to offer the world.

Michael Jackson was a musical marvel. Even as a young artist in Jackson 5 his voice was prodigious, but it wasn't until he was free as a solo artist that he made his mark in the music industry. His soulful mix of Rhythm and Blues and rock appealed to the masses and made pop music what it is. He sang about love and life in a way that people could understand and dance to. He set the standard for pop, and most would agree he has yet to be surpassed. Michael Jackson changed the world.

I have to believe that somewhere behind the dead tissue of his nostril cavity, the tattooed eyeliner, and the surgically implanted cleft in his chin, a musical mastermind lays idle. Somewhere inside his five-foot-10-inch, 125 pound, pasty-white frame, the heart of the ultimate pop star beats unseen. Michael's best days are most assuredly behind him, but they're by no means gone. The Michael Jackson we know and love may no longer take physical form, but he lives on in his brilliant songwriting, phenomenal voice and unparalleled dance moves. Can we separate the man from the music? Yes. While Jacko deteriorates, the King of Pop thrives in the TVs, stereos, and hearts of his fans.

http://www.thefalcononline.com/story/4612

Black Loafers

**** off asshole! Don't come around here talking about that Michael Jackson has a bizarre behavior...CAUSE HE DON'T!! Get the hell out of here and never come back!!!!!! :censored:

HeavenSent

Ooof. Calm down there, Ebba.

The writer is clearly not the type of person who stays devotedly in love with Michael; She obviously wrote this from another standpoint. I can't fault her for bringing up the "bizarre" aspects of Michael, because face it. It's out there. It's all about perception.

At least she acknowledges that this case should not erase his legacy.

She could have at least gotten the song title right, though. It's Heal The World, baby!
In "Earth Song," yet another No.1 hit, Michael sings, "Heal the world / Make it a better place / For you and for me / And the entire human race."

Also, she coulda left out the shallow comments about his appearance too. I really could have done w/out that. She's only feeding the notion that he's not human. I hate that.

Black Loafers

Originally posted by HeavenSent
Ooof. Calm down there, Ebba.

The writer is clearly not the type of person who stays devotedly in love with Michael; She obviously wrote this from another standpoint. I can't fault her for bringing up the "bizarre" aspects of Michael, because face it. It's out there. It's all about perception.

At least she acknowledges that this case should not erase his legacy.

She could have at least gotten the song title right, though. It's Heal The World, baby!

Also, she coulda left out the shallow comments about his appearance too. I really could have done w/out that. She's only feeding the notion that he's not human. I hate that.

Well..I am sorry Carla, I am not saying that she has to be hopelsess devoted to Michael as most of we one MJEOL are ( :laugh) But she doesn't have to come around saying that he's got a bizarre behaviour...I am sorry..I am just a bit protective when it comes to that...:/

HotMJ!

Originally posted by Black Loafers

Well..I am sorry Carla, I am not saying that she has to be hopelsess devoted to Michael as most of we one MJEOL are ( :laugh) But she doesn't have to come around saying that he's got a bizarre behaviour...I am sorry..I am just a bit protective when it comes to that...:/

The solution is to write/email this Lacy Birk person and complain about these comments. I'll do this myself as soon as I find time!

:screaming

Eboni

Originally posted by HotMJ!
The solution is to write/email this Lacy Birk person and complain about these comments. I'll do this myself as soon as I find time!

:screaming

Why do these people send these king of messages about Michael?

- Can't they print an article without trying to make him out to be an alien?

Probably we should Print something equally ridivulous about her and see how she'd like it.

- I always ask myself how does Michael cope? Then when I log on to MJEOL, I THEN ALWAYS REMEMBER. :D

minnie michael

Originally posted by LLLViper
Thanks for posting.

Heather~

hey.. Heather..i think i am a lil bit getting tired of your post like this.." thanks for posting..thanks Whisper post this one..brah brah..
"

i mean this is our Michael's forum.. we need everyone post their feeling about this thread..Whisper created this forum for all of Michael's fans showing their feeling towards Michael and expressing their idea..NOT a place just for U to post those useless THANKS..

i am sorry Heather..but i really think if you have no idea about this thread..you could post NOTHING..instead of those useless nonsense..sorry..offense..

HeavenSent

I catch your meaning. And I agree w/you....Too many times people add the whole but he looks like a freak adlib in their works--and most times, his appearance has nothing at all to do w/the gist of the article. Or, if it does it's just superficial and shallow. No real purpose. Just ugh. :uh_uh:

Minnie: yeah, it would be nice to hear something more than just a thanks for posting. Opinions! We want opinions! :D

Cristine87

Excuse me but Michael is not an idea, sweetie! He wasn't put on this earth with only the purpose of pleasing others. Michael Jackson is Michael Jackson. The man that you see walking in to the court room is the same man that you see in the thriller video. First than anything, he's not just his music & dancing & singing, he's a person & he's different than other people but there's nothing wrong with that. He's more than just his appearance, he has a heart & a gracious humble spirit & people seem to dismiss that & instead choose to see that ugly freak that the media tries to portray & people & the media alike will take every opportunity to implant in to our heads what an unusual person he is.

Urgh! I thought this was something that could cheer me up. The first paragraph was alll great and then....wtf? dead tissue of nostril cavity???? go to hell! I could've been better without those nasty comments about his appearance. As far as I'm concerned, Michael still looks like his gorgeous self.

And about the beheading of our dolls comment, I'd behead HER is she doesn't shut the f*ck up! LMAO!

privacy

hey.. Heather..i think i am a lil bit getting tired of your post like this.." thanks for posting..thanks Whisper post this one..brah brah..
"

i mean this is our Michael's forum.. we need everyone post their feeling about this thread..Whisper created this forum for all of Michael's fans showing their feeling towards Michael and expressing their idea..NOT a place just for U to post those useless THANKS..

i am sorry Heather..but i really think if you have no idea about this thread..you could post NOTHING..instead of those useless nonsense..sorry..offense..

I agree, minnie.. not just picking on Heather because others do it too. It sometimes looks as though they haven't read the article and are just saying thanks for posting it..

I just can't believe some people don't have comments about things like that ^ lol.

What will we do if he's found guilty? Throw away our CD's? Burn our posters? Behead our dolls?

^ I think this bit is meant sarcastically.. I read it as though there should be a 'pffft.. yeh right' at the end of it even though it doesn't fit with the rest of the article.
It's like on that bit, to me, she's saying that we can't really do anything.. he's still going to remain the best entertainer ever so.. these are silly solutions.

But I dunno..lol

sunny2005

**** off asshole! Don't come around here talking about that Michael Jackson has a bizarre behavior...CAUSE HE DON'T!! Get the hell out of here and never come back!!!!!! :censored:
:thumbsup is there a way to block the haters from coming on here? that really pisses me off that they sneek on here and then try to bad mouth michael on his fans site, who they heck do they think they are?

HeavenSent

Originally posted by sunny2005
:thumbsup is there a way to block the haters from coming on here? that really pisses me off that they sneek on here and then try to bad mouth michael on his fans site, who they heck do they think they are?
Don't misunderstand. This article came from a journalist, not from anyone on here.