Meeting Michael Jackson: Venetta tells (Aug 12 2004)

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Meeting Michael Jackson: Venetta tells
Reporter: (online story) Jane Cowan

Presenter: Briony Petch

Thursday, 12 August 2004

m928126.jpg

"I've seen little boys like Michael all through my life in churches singing like that," says Venetta (centre, with fellow backing singers) of Michael Jackon's distinctive style.

Can you feel it?

Apparently not.

When Venetta Fields recorded the disco hit 'Can You Feel It?' for the Jacksons in 1980 she was at a low point.

"That was in the wasteland of my career before I moved to Australia but after I had come to some decision (about my career)."

"It was kind of boring. I enjoyed the record when it came out but as far as the session was concerned I wasn't too impressed. I wasn't concentrating at that point of time."

Venetta had known the Jacksons through Motown when they first moved to California. But by the time she met him to record 'Can You Feel It?' Michael seemed to be driving the group, which was slowly breaking up. Michael himself was on the brink of a solo career.

"I think he was a little bored too. He wasn't interesting, he wasn't not interesting. It was basically a non-event."

It was a really good think[sic] as far as music was concerned and as far as our culture.

:nav Source: http://www.abc.net.au/goldcoast/stories/s1173100.htm