Michael to recieve Nobel Peace Prize?

Missy

Whilst I was at work today I heard something on the radio about a rumour that Michael is to receive a Nobel Peace Prize for his humanitarian work. I didn't catch everything as it was hard to hear in a nursery with 8 kids chattering away. Anyone heard about this? :idontknow I really hope it's true even if it is about 20 years too late!

I don't think he received one but it is true though that some people actually wants him to be nominated for one. I have voted already, I mean you have to sign a petition that hopefully one of the Nobel prize winners (as they are the only ones legible to nominate a person for Nobel prize) will pick Michael's name and put on one of the nominated candidates. Google that petition and you will find it in one website that you have to sign the petition, I think there's more than 17 thousand already who signed the petition online.

Wait... I am pretty sure that the nobel prize can not be awarded posthumously... This is actually in the frequently asked questions of the nobel prize page...

http://nobelprize.org/contact/faq/index.html--click on how to nominate and just look for it.

Is it possible to nominate someone for a posthumous Nobel Prize?

No, it is not. Previously, a person could be awarded a prize posthumously if he/she had already been nominated (before February 1 of the same year), which was true of Erik Axel Karlfeldt (Nobel Prize in Literature 1931) and Dag Hammarskjöld (Nobel Peace Prize, 1961). Effective from 1974, the prize may only go to a deceased person to whom it was already awarded (usually in October) but who had died before he/she could receive the Prize on December 10 (William Vickrey, 1996 Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economics in Memory of Alfred Nobel). See also par. 4 of the Statutes of the Nobel Foundation.

Would MJ still qualify then since he's had two past nominations? I would assume the part effective from 1974 would be in effect...