My letter to Michael: THANK YOU

Shannon

Dearest, Michael,

Happy Birthday

Michael, you would have been 51 years old today. Your sweet angels would’ve probably sung Happy Birthday to you, and maybe even baked a cake just for you, their daddy. Tons of letters, cards, and gifts from all around the world would’ve reached your address on this very day. Michaelmania would of course embrace you if you ever decided to grace us with your presence, not because we intentionally wanted to invade your privacy — we just wanted to see you, we just loved you so much — still do.

Instead, you will have your first birthday in Heaven.

Michael, there is no fairness in this world. I am sure you have encountered the thought yourself many times through your all too short life. What would I give… no, sorry, what would we all give to have you back with us. The answer is A LOT. But I am sure you know this already, I am certain you are watching us from There, protecting us and guiding us. Those who are going to read this will probably arch their eyebrows now reckoning I think of you as a God. I don’t. I know you were just a human being with flaws and problems like everyone of us. But damn. You were a very, very unique man — and you hold an extremely special, sacred place in my heart. That is for now. That is for eternity.

But I refuse to let this become a sad letter — this is a letter of gratitude.

Michael, I admit it - there have been times I have regretted letting you become such a big part of my life. I’m sorry. But the times I have felt such gratefulness for having you in my life can be multiplied with a thousand. Michael, thank you for making me a better person. Thank you for showing me the world in true colours, for the inspiration to heal the world, for making me believe that we all can make a difference. Thank you for all the friendships I’ve collected through you. I’ve met my best friends thanks to you - some of the sweetest, most generous, smartest, best people ever. Thank you for always being there for me - and yet, you didn’t even know me. The truth is, Michael, for many of us you were like family. Thank you the joy. Thank you for the music. Thank you for the love you gave. Thank you for your never-ending generosity and passion. Thank you for making the world a better place — because you did, Michael, you did.

And thank you for being you — you, simply Michael Joseph Jackson.

Michael, I promise you the truth will not be silenced anymore, the truth about who you really were — trust me on this. You’ll continue to live on in our hearts. You did when you were alive. You do now. And you will forever.

Happy Birthday, Applehead. I love you.

And please, when it’s my time…save a dance for me when I get there…

Much love,

Veronica