new record deal?

moonball29

Jackson Assembles Industry Heavyweights in London

Thursday, October 06, 2005
By Roger Friedman

Jackson Seeks Deal With L.A. Reid, Bahrain Prince

When F. Scott Fitzgerald profoundly claimed that there were no second acts in the lives of Americans, he hadn’t encountered the information era. As it turns out, almost everyone has a second act, and many people have third, fourth, fifth ones, too!

That certainly can be said of Michael Jackson. On trial just a few months ago for child molestation and conspiracy, the acquitted singer was already then well into the drama that constitutes his life. The next act picks up in London, where Jackson is ensconced at the very expensive Dorchester Hotel. He’s there on the dime of the Crown Prince of Bahrain, who’s picking up the tab for everything.

Jackson and the Prince are not alone, however. They are joined right now by attorney Thomas Mesereau. Jr., who so brilliantly defended Jackson in his trial. Also there are fired-then-reinstated publicist Raymone Bain, as well as Jackson’s three “acquired” children and their nanny, Grace Rwamba.

But even more interesting are two more people new to the crowd: Atlanta music business attorney Joel Katz and Island/DefJam Records chairman Antonio L.A. Reid. Their project is simple. My sources say that Katz has come to represent the Prince in a deal that would fund a record label for Jackson at Island/DefJam’s parent, Universal Music Group.

Katz is not new to the Jackson picture. I’m told he represented Jackson’s brother Jermaine for many years in the mid-'80s. He’s listed on the credits for the Victory tour as Jermaine’s legal eagle. Coincidentally – that is, if you believe in coincidences – Katz represents Reid as well. (Jackson probably does not know this. Maybe someone at the Dorchester can show him this column.) It was Katz who negotiated Reid’s deal that made him head of Arista Records in 2000. He also got him out of that deal and made the current one at Universal.

What Jermaine gets at the end of the day is uncertain. For years Michael’s elder brother has floundered after a promising series of hits in the mid-'80s. In his memoir of life with Michael, Jackson’s former p.r. guy Bob Jones claims that Michael purposely sabotaged Jermaine’s career.

If the project comes together, and it should, the first order of business would be to record that charity single Jackson has been promising since Hurricane Katrina. Even though Stevie Wonder turned him down, Jackson has been campaigning among various stars for weeks. Katz, whose Rolodex is filled with star R&B and hip hop clients, would be a tremendous asset in lassoing contributors. First up would be James Brown, the man whose dance steps Jackson copied at an early age.

Next to be tapped, I’m told, might be Jay-Z and Beyonce, thanks to the Universal connection. Jay-Z, believe it or not, is president and chief exec of Def Jam. Beyonce is engaged to him. And so on. Universal is the number one music company right now, boasting everyone from Eminem and 50 Cent to Bon Jovi, Kanye West, and Mariah Carey. Under the right circumstances, UMG could cajole any of its stars to appear on Jackson’s single or even on a comeback album.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171414,00.html

Kanya

"Acquired children"; "Bob Jones claims that Michael purposely sabotaged Jermaine’s career", "Stevie Wonder turned him down" (how does Friedman know that?); etc...Enough said.

A

Anonymous

And Beyonce and Jay-Z aren't engaged, shows how much this fool knows.

Kanya

Originally posted by ~Vicky~
And Beyonce and Jay-Z aren't engaged, shows how much this fool knows.

Yes, and Beyonce Knowles has even stated that she is not to marry Jay-Z. I think such a reporter should be allied to other unprofessionals of unofficial news, news based on sheer grapevine, such as MJ Star.

Shannon

I'm not very fond of Roger Friedman, to put it that way. I had too much of him during the trial, and I don't like him any better now.

Enough said.

Kanya

Originally posted by ~Vicky~
I was excited until I saw who wrote this article.

I do not know anything of what Friedman is made of, have not truly even heard of him and care not to, but an article that reads syntagmes as "my source says" is sheer grapevine always (the name of the source, please / can it be trusted / search and verify before writing it or maintain undisturbance and silence before complete certainty and before injuring the written of part etc) and betrays hunger for reporting anything of any nature, off in the air, for the absence of news in connection to Michael is gnawing at these people's kidneys. It is all a part of Media's lust for parasite diffussion in black on white, reaching "pantagruellian proportions".

People like that have absolutely no cognizance of professionalism and impartiality, know not or bury their heads against seeing the existence of the discipline and due-to-be professional-and-ethical occupation: Public Relations. It is the very reason why mass-media earthlings seem to be always at war with the code of ethics' rules.

Labomba

We'll see if this rumour's true, like Vicky said, I was all excited before I saw the author of the news

Labomba

We'll see .. MJJSource haven't posted anything on their website about this yet so I am dont even believe before I've seen the MJJSource source.

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
I'll post this here too:
Naw. I'm not accepting anything from that self-important, know-nothing a-hole, Friedman. I'm going to have to hear this from somebody...anybody other than him to even get excited or interested.

Originally posted by whisper
I'll post this here too:
Naw. I'm not accepting anything from that self-important, know-nothing a-hole, Friedman. I'm going to have to hear this from somebody...anybody other than him to even get excited or interested.

Precisely :thumbsup Mr. Friedman has been known to pull a thing or two out of his misinformed, ignorant ass quite frequently...thus, his "credibility" leaves much to be desired. Honestly, it sounds like he's taking that London rumor and adding a bunch of fancy detail to it, much like he did to a lot of the stories/rumors that surfaced during the "case"/trial.. :cryptic :lol: I mean, parts of it could be potentially true, but I won't really believe a thing until I see or hear about it from a TRUSTED source..

And another thing: Maybe I'm missing/misunderstanding something here, but just why would Mez be involved with Michael's career at this point? The "case" is OVER for crying out loud! The man is a defense attorney, not an entertainment lawyer! :laugh Goes to show you just how "much" these reporters "think" out their stories, huh?..

Kanya

Originally posted by HeavenSent
Stopped reading @

...as though they were merchandise..."Mr." Friedman is allied to Bob Jones, Stacy Brown and the prosecution. There is no other way.