Official May 20 2005 thread

Aaliyah

may20_1.jpg

may20_2.jpg

may20_3.jpg

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
He says Geragos can continue testimony and whenever the prosecution asks him things outside of the waiver limit, Geragos can say he's refusing to answer due to Atty-Client privilege.

That crook did say that he felt "deceived" by Mesereau. Something I find hilarious coming from him.

coco

so excellent news !

and for me, the best news is not exactly in the facts, I mean we all know he is innocent, but in the way the story is described in media... it's just Fox, but I hope this will spread...

SpecialJanet25

Originally posted by whisper
He says Geragos can continue testimony and whenever the prosecution asks him things outside of the waiver limit, Geragos can say he's refusing to answer due to Atty-Client privilege.

That crook did say that he felt "deceived" by Mesereau. Something I find hilarious coming from him.

He said that? That's something unusual coming from Melville

A

Anonymous

That idiot, did he say that outside the jury?

Anyway, good for Geragos for establishing that there is a partial waiver.

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure Dimond understood what she was reporting with some of the testimony provided by Savannah Guthrie (who is inside the courtroom). Dimond, of course, wants to spin it. But she didn't realize the importance of one of the questions.

She said something like Zonen asked Geragos was he afraid Gavin would end back up in Jackson's bed. And Geragos said No.

Of course, this is not the road Zonen should be going down especially after Azja Pryor's testimony where the mother complained that associates were keeping the family away from Michael Jackson. So of course he wouldn't be afraid that Gavin would be back in Jackson's "bed". Oops. :lol:

alfredo

Originally posted by SpecialJanet25
Can anyone explain what this partial waiver is?

Hey...

Before an attorney/doctor/therapist can be a witness for/against a client, they must receive written permission to do so(waiver). MJ has given Geragos the right to discuss anything upto his arrest for these charges. He will not be able to discuss anything after that point. That's why this is being called a partial waiver.

I fail to see the point of anything after that date given that Geragos was on the case for almost a year at that time. This is just another smoke-screen by Sneddon and this false outrage by the judge is simply silly. If he wants to be angry or upset, he should look to his golfing buddy for bringing this lousy "case".

:sneddoncrybaby

alfredo

I'm not sure Dimond understood what she was reporting with some of the testimony provided by Savannah Guthrie (who is inside the courtroom). Dimond, of course, wants to spin it. But she didn't realize the importance of one of the questions.

She said something like Zonen asked Geragos was he afraid Gavin would end back up in Jackson's bed. And Geragos said No.

Of course, this is not the road Zonen should be going down especially after Azja Pryor's testimony where the mother complained that associates were keeping the family away from Michael Jackson. So of course he wouldn't be afraid that Gavin would be back in Jackson's "bed". Oops. :lol:

You're a real trooper. I would have to turn that ho-heffa off. Thanks for the updates :lol:

SpecialJanet25

Originally posted by alfredo
Hey...

Before an attorney/doctor/therapist can be a witness for/against a client, they must receive written permission to do so(waiver). MJ has given Geragos the right to discuss anything upto his arrest for these charges. He will not be able to discuss anything after that point. That's why this is being called a partial waiver.

I fail to see the point of anything after that date given that Geragos was on the case for almost a year at that time. This is just another smoke-screen by Sneddon and this false outrage by the judge is simply silly. If he wants to be angry or upset, he should look to his golfing buddy for bringing this lousy "case".

:sneddoncrybaby

Thank you! :wink

SpecialJanet25

Oops is right! Not only that, they found no DNA of Gavin's in Jackson's bed. That's prove Gavin did not sleep in his bed after the documentary aired. I don't know why Zonen with there with that if Jackson's associates kept the family away from Jackson and it wouldn't make sense that Jackson started molestating the accuser if they were not around Jackson.

sistahlamb

Of course, this is not the road Zonen should be going down especially after Azja Pryor's testimony where the mother complained that associates were keeping the family away from Michael Jackson. So of course he wouldn't be afraid that Gavin would be back in Jackson's "bed". Oops.

Oops is right! Not only that, they found no DNA of Gavin's in Jackson's bed. That's prove Gavin did not sleep in his bed after the documentary aired. I don't know why Zonen with there with that if Jackson's associates kept the family away from Jackson and it wouldn't make sense that Jackson started molestating the accuser if they were not around Jackson.

True that. True that....

Is this talking about what's going on right now or MG's testimony from last week????

Aaliyah

Geragos to take stand again in Jackson trial
By Sally Connell and Michael Muskal
Special to The Times
May 20, 2005, 12:04 PM EDT

SANTA MARIA, Calif. -- Mark Geragos, former attorney for Michael Jackson, is scheduled to return to the stand this morning, but Superior Court Judge Rodney S. Melville must first determine the rules for the lawyer's testimony.

Cross-examination had begun last week when Geragos refused to answer a question because it went beyond the waiver of attorney-client privilege. Jackson's lead defense attorney Thomas A. Mesereau Jr. had earlier assured Melville, prosecutors and the jury that the defendant had waived all privilege.

"I can represent to the court that there is a waiver of attorney-client privilege so Mr. Geragos can testify," Mesereau said.

Geragos asked to see a written copy of the waiver and that was given to him during a break after he began his testimony.

After the break, Geragos limited his answers, saying that the waiver was limited to the time before Jackson was arrested in late November 2003. Melville was visibly furious with Mesereau and demanded that all parties file memorandums.

It is a side issue in Jackson's child molestation trial, but one watched closely by legal experts who consider the right of private communications between clients and their attorneys to be sacrosanct.

The prosecution has argued that Jackson either completely waives the privilege or all of Geragos testimony should be stricken from the record.

In his papers, Senior Deputy Dist. Atty. Ron Zonen asked the court to demand a full representation from Mesereau and defense attorney Susan Yu about when the waiver was created, since it bears the same date when Geragos testified.

"Even if the written waiver was prepared in advance of need and was deliberately kept a secret until cross-examination cut too close to the knuckle and made its tardy production seem prudent, simply as a matter of tactics, it came too late," Zonen stated.

Geragos argued in his memo that it would be too prejudicial to the defendant to allow a full waiver. He cited case law that granting such a huge waiver would be too much of a "munificent windfall" for the prosecution.

The defense said in its papers that Jackson insisted that the waiver was limited from the beginning.

"The impact of Mr. Mesereau's failure to delineate the waiver is regrettable, however, he apologized," defense attorney Robert Sanger wrote. He stressed that Jackson "reasonably would have understood" that he waived privilege for the period of the alleged events he is charged with for early 2003, and that the waiver wasn't extended indefinitely.

Geragos represented Jackson from February 2003 to April 2004. Jackson was arrested on child molestation charges Nov. 20, 2003, and the waiver does not allow Geragos to testify about anything after that arrest.

The defense also shifts the question away from the attorney-client waiver by alleging that Zonen tried to expand questions in his cross-examination which were not dealt with in the direct questioning of Geragos. It is a charge that the defense has made before in motions, particularly regarding Zonen.

Jackson, 46, is charged with child molestation, attempted molestation, giving alcohol to a minor and conspiracy to kidnap, extort and falsely imprison the family of the accuser, who was 13 in early 2003.

Copyright © 2005, The Los Angeles Times

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/nationworld/...-nation-big-pix

Aaliyah

Jackson Judge Considers Sanctions Against Mesereau

"PA"

The judge in Michael Jackson’s child molestation trial said today he may sanction lead defence lawyer Thomas Mesereau for misrepresenting the terms under which Jackson waived his privilege of confidentiality with former lawyer Mark Geragos.

“I feel deceived by Mr Mesereau and I am considering ... sanctions of some sort against Mr Mesereau,” Superior Court Judge Rodney Melville said in a hearing before Geragos resumed testifying.

Jackson only waived lawyer-client privilege for the period until his arrest in November 2003 but that limit was not disclosed until Geragos mentioned it while testifying last week.

The prosecution and the judge were surprised by the limitation, and at the time Mesereau apologised, saying he had not thought the period after arrest was relevant.

Prosecutors argued that Geragos should be required to testify about the period after the arrest because of the misrepresentation, but the judge ruled that Geragos would only have to testify about the period allowed by the waiver.

The judge said he could have stricken Geragos’ testimony from the record but didn’t think that was viable because jurors had already heard it and were likely to remember it during deliberations.

Yesterday, Michael Jackson’s legal team scored a victory as jurors were allowed to see a video tour of the singer’s Neverland ranch that a prosecutor condemned as propaganda.

Jurors saw idyllic scenes of amusement park rides, cheerful workers, zoo animals, blooming flowers, and statues of boys and girls at play.

The video also showed many clocks, apparently countering testimony by family members of Jackson’s accuser that they were unable to keep track of time while allegedly being held captive at the ranch.

Melville permitted the viewing over the vehement opposition of District Attorney Tom Sneddon.

Sneddon said the tape, made this year, showed a ranch that was somewhat different from its state on February and March 2003, when the accuser’s family allegedly was held captive.

Sneddon, calling the video “propaganda,” argued that it was designed to make Jackson look good, and cited a scene of a chalkboard containing a note by one of Jackson’s children that said “I love you daddy.”

Jackson, 46, is accused of molesting a boy and plying him with wine. He also is accused of conspiring to hold the boy’s family captive. Prosecutors said he wanted them to rebut a TV documentary in which Jackson said he let children sleep in his bed, although he contended it was non-sexual.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4582768