Prince has lost his mind (again)

mcilroga

In an extraordinary, but not unfamiliar move, the rock legend Prince is using an army of lawyers to launch attacks on his own fans.

Several of the largest web communities dedicated to the artist have received notices to cease and desist all use of photographs, images, lyrics, album covers and anything linked to Prince's likeness.

It is our opinion that these threats are not made in an attempt to enforce valid copyright as Prince alleges in his threats, rather we believe they are attempts to stifle all critical commentary about Prince. We strongly believe that such actions are in violation of the freedom of speech and should not be allowed. Prince claims that fansites are not allowed to present any artwork with Prince's likeness, to the extreme that he has demanded removal of fan's own photographs of their Prince inspired tattoos and their vehicles displaying Prince inspired license plates.

Prince's representatives have requested that the fansites provide them with "substantive details of the means by which you [the fansites] propose to compensate our clients [Paisley Park Enterprises, NPG Records and Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG)] for damages..."

The owners of the three largest fansites supporting Prince: http://www.housequake.com, http://www.princefams.com and http://www.prince.org, have come together to fight back to what amounts to an injustice to the fansites and the very fans who have supported Prince's career, many since the very beginning nearly thirty years ago.

It is their hope that Prince will reconsider his position and allow these fansites to continue their existence without constant threats from Prince and his attorneys. Should this not be possible, the fansites are fully prepared to defend their position in the proper court of law, as well as fully prosecute any claims to which they are justly entitled.

The owners of housequake.com, princefams.com and prince.org acknowledge that, while Prince is entitled to control of his copyrights, it should be within the law. The law clearly provides for displaying of images of a celebrity's likeness for newsworthy events or matters that are considered to be public interest. All three websites feel that the photographs and/or likeness displayed on their websites clearly fall within the public interest category. Additionally, the use of photographs is legal based on the fair use doctrine, i.e. the displaying of album cover art, or the collage headers created by website members using a variety of different photographs.

For housequake.com: Aaron A. Sikkink and Gavin McLaughlin
For princefams.com: Endre Adolfsen and Jonathan Nice
For prince.org: Ben Margolin

http://www.princefansunited.com/

:blink: :lol :rolleyes:

OH LAWD, he's crazy.

Whaat? :blink: No offense to Prince, I like him as an artist, but this DOES seem a bit strange, not to mention...rather egotistical. :cryptic I mean, I could understand if his fans were actually selling and profiting off his name or likeness without him getting any credit, but c'mon..FANSITES? That would be exactly like if Michael's lawyers came on here and told us all to get rid of all our blends, avatars, etc....man, wouldn't all hell break loose? :cryptic :lol And it's not like the fans PROFIT off of posting stuff with his pics on it, it's just for fun/expression. So I really don't get why Prince is doing this, though from your post, it would seem like he's done stuff like this in the past? lol. I don't know. I don't really follow him that closely. I feel kinda bad for his fans though..:unsure:

IMHO, he (like any other artist) ought to be flattered that people would even care enough to post pics of him and stuff, but..who knows. I'll have to ask my aunt, she's a HUGE Prince fan..:p

mcilroga

He's been known to be like this to his fans before; it's just that he really flipped his purple noodle this time. :lol

Most of his fans are freaking out, rightfully so. I'm seen some "I've supported Prince for 8193301334.53 years and I am DONE -- I'm burning my entire collection tomorrow"-type posts on random forums, but most people have just lost a lot of respect for the man.

mysteriousone

mcilroga;198418 said:
He's been known to be like this to his fans before; it's just that he really flipped his purple noodle this time. :lol

Has he ever!!! :wacko: :lol

Whisper said:
Isn't this like shooting himself in the foot?
Yes, I think so!!! :p

As Tara mentioned, he should be flattered that people (fans/suppporters) post pictures etc of him! Clearly he's lost the plot! :wacko:

Mysti!

danaluvsmj

Wow, that seems pretty extreme:blink: I do like Prince as an artist, but what's so bad about having fansites? If they're not profiting from his image, then I don't see any harm. He should be happy he even has fansites out there about him. I think Prince is being greedy and it's hurting his fans.This is going to hurt his image rather than protect it.

Shannon

I do like his new song Guitar, but that's it. I have always heard he is not the easiest one to deal with, but I never realized it was that bad. :blink:

LOL, I'm glad I have never made a Prince blend. :lol :lol :p

Shannon

mcilroga;198418 said:

Most of his fans are freaking out, rightfully so. I'm seen some "I've supported Prince for 8193301334.53 years and I am DONE -- I'm burning my entire collection tomorrow"-type posts on random forums, but most people have just lost a lot of respect for the man.

I don't blame them. :cryptic

They picked the wrong artist to idolize though -- they should've picked Michael Jackson, I say. :p :lol

He's been known to be like this to his fans before; it's just that he really flipped his purple noodle this time.

:lol @ his purple noodle.

After I read this thread last night, I got kind of curious and so I Googled for Prince sites, so I could read some of these discussions myself. I think I was on that one site, Prince.org, one of the major ones...man, I have never and I mean NEVER seen a group of fans THAT pissed off or divided at one time...ever. :cryptic Yeah, I know the MJ fan community has had it's moments over the years, lord knows that, lol, but man..this makes that, even in the WORST of times, look like NOTHING. I suppose that's mainly because most of the drama in the MJ fan community (not here perse, but I mean, in general) has mainly just been drama between fans, disagreements about certain things, etc, etc.....but I'm reminded all the more (not that I needed reminding anyway. :)) just how LUCKY we all are to be fans and supporters of Michael, someone who has ALWAYS shown such love and appeciation, time and time again to his fans and someone who I , quite frankly could never see doing something like Prince is doing now...if he did, I'd honestly think he'd have lost it...seriously. :cryptic

I also read that he (Prince) is even going so far as to censor his fans' actual discussions, reviews of his CDs and concerts, etc? So if you say something that isn't 1,0000% behind every single thing he does...you can't say it without fear of your site going down or being sued? I'm sorry but..**** that! I don't care how much I love and appreciate an artist or how much of a genius they are or claim to be, I'd be damned before I let them or anyone else take away my freedom of speech. Why can't he just let the fans who run the sites work that out for themselves, like the moderators and such? Geez..

LOL, it's seriously like a revolution over there..most of his fans are PISSED and quite frankly, I don't blame them one bit. Hell, just reading this thread kinda pissed me off (at him)..and I'm not even a fan! :lol Now, I don't know Prince or anything much at all about him, but....damn, you gotta wonder what's going on with him to do something as seemingly stupid as this, 'ya know? :uh_uh:

They picked the wrong artist to idolize though -- they should've picked Michael Jackson, I say.

Yep. :p lol. And you know, I was also reading some of the GD on that forum (yeah, I had too much time on my hands, I know..haha ) and they were talking about Michael in Ebony and believe it or not, most of the comments were pretty positive! Some were already MJ fans themselves and others were either neutral or saying nice things. Sure there were a few who threw off on him, but mostly, it was enthusiastic, both about the shoot and his future in the biz. So hell, maybe Michael will gain even more fans off of this....settle that rivarly between him and Prince once and for all? ;) LOL jk..I..think? :unsure: :lol

sweet princess

InspirationMoonwalks;198458 said:
:lol @ his purple noodle.

After I read this thread last night, I got kind of curious and so I Googled for Prince sites, so I could read some of these discussions myself. I think I was on that one site, Prince.org, one of the major ones...man, I have never and I mean NEVER seen a group of fans THAT pissed off or divided at one time...ever. :cryptic Yeah, I know the MJ fan community has had it's moments over the years, lord knows that, lol, but man..this makes that, even in the WORST of times, look like NOTHING. I suppose that's mainly because most of the drama in the MJ fan community (not here perse, but I mean, in general) has mainly just been drama between fans, disagreements about certain things, etc, etc.....but I'm reminded all the more (not that I needed reminding anyway. :)) just how LUCKY we all are to be fans and supporters of Michael, someone who has ALWAYS shown such love and appeciation, time and time again to his fans and someone who I , quite frankly could never see doing something like Prince is doing now...if he did, I'd honestly think he'd have lost it...seriously. :cryptic

I also read that he (Prince) is even going so far as to censor his fans' actual discussions, reviews of his CDs and concerts, etc? So if you say something that isn't 1,0000% behind every single thing he does...you can't say it without fear of your site going down or being sued? I'm sorry but..**** that! I don't care how much I love and appreciate an artist or how much of a genius they are or claim to be, I'd be damned before I let them or anyone else take away my freedom of speech. Why can't he just let the fans who run the sites work that out for themselves, like the moderators and such? Geez..

LOL, it's seriously like a revolution over there..most of his fans are PISSED and quite frankly, I don't blame them one bit. Hell, just reading this thread kinda pissed me off (at him)..and I'm not even a fan! :lol Now, I don't know Prince or anything much at all about him, but....damn, you gotta wonder what's going on with him to do something as seemingly stupid as this, 'ya know? :uh_uh:

Prince needs to get his damn head on straight, I'm sure glad that I'm not apart of any prince forums. Cause If I was, and he edited my comments, I would cuss him out big tome.:icon_hitting (for Prince)

OMG, Prince made Keith Olbermann's "Worst Person's" list yesterday! :lol He didn't get the worst (hey, he was up against Rush Limbaugh AND Brit Hume from Fox News, c'mon now! lol) but still....not good..:uh_uh: haha. Watch :

Worst person: Brit Hume

Haha, I love Keith Olbermann. He cracks me up. :p