Some lady pretty much called me racist

Saphster

Kinda long but it's interesting. Please read all of it and tell me what you think. Ahhh! I just still can't believe it. I know this is nothing important but I gotta get it off my chest.

So I work at this certain place at the returns/refunds area. This lady came returning a edge trimmer that doesn't work anymore. Cool. I asked if she wanted another one just like it so we can do an even swap. She said no. She wanted her money. Okay. I asked her if she had a receipt or if she purchased it with a credit card or debit card.

She said no. So I have to give her a store credit. I'm doing the transaction but she stops me when the computer says she will get $69.97 for the trimmer. She got irritated and said she paid $100 something dollars for it plus an extended warranty for $19.95. Now when they get store credit the price of certain merchandise will be less that what they originally paid for. They will get the lowest selling price. And she happened to be returning that certain type of merchandise that has to be sold less than what she paid for. It sucks. I know. But it's not my fault. That's the policy. Now if I don't have a receipt I can't give her the full refund or the extended plan back. The system will not let me. i can't just type whatever and press the refund button. It doesn't work that way. I tried to explain it to her but she was not having it. She asked if she brought in her receipt back later if she could get her money back for the warranty. Me and the other cashier told her yes. The other cashier told her "Well if you're gonna go back and look for the receipt then you might as well not return the trimmer. Go find your receipt so we can give you the full refund for everything." So the customer said no. She wanted the store credit after all. She said go ahead and do it. Do what? I'm not sure and then she asked if she could speak to somebody else. She was confusing me. She probably didn't believe us. So I called the head cashier who is my supervisor.

When the head cashier came over I told her infront of the customer "I'm trying to explain that without the receipt I can't give her back the full refund or the service plan she says she paid for." The customer lashes out saying how "I understand all that! I understand I can't get the refund for the 100 something I paid for it. I just wanna know that if I bring in the receipt can I the warranty back?" I told the customer, "Ok ma'am I know that. I was just explaining it to her because I called her over here without telling her why I needed her." The head cashier told the customer yes she can get the plan back if she had the receipt. The customer says, "Okay see that's all I wanted to know."

I mean....I...and the other cashier told her that already. When the head cashier left she told her out loud, "you were telling her all that like I'm stupid. Like I don't know what's going on. I know exactly what's going on." I told her again that I was just explaining the situation to her and that I apologize if she felt that way. Then she said, "Not all black people are stupid you know."

This is when I stopped everything that I was doing and looked at her like she really was stupid. I thought...oh no she just did NOT say that. I told her, "Did I say that?" She said, "No but thats what you were trying to say." I just looked at her and laughed and told her, "Riiight..."

Race does not determine stupidity. Ignorance determines stupidity.

I gave her damned store credit. I hoped she didn't come back either. I know she never had a godamned receipt. And I was right because she didn't come back. She just wanted to start mess. IF she did come back with a receipt I KNOW she would want the full refund for trimmer and warranty back even tho she got the store credit already. People do that type of stuff all day at my job.

Man...it just made me so ..upset. I was steaming. I was shaking and trying to hold back from saying anything...stupid. I was not gonna go to that level.

When she left I told the cashier next to me (who is black as well) "Did you just hear what she said???" She said "Yeah. I'm gonna tell you why she said that." Then later on she said something I didn't like. She said, "She just said that because she is real black and ugly. She felt intimidated by you. That's why she picked on you." The customer was really dark skinned and it kinda bothered me how another person talked badly about her darkness. Even though she insulted me and was SO rude with me...I have nothing against her skin tone and i would not call her ugly. I am real pale. So I felt like....so just because I am pale skinned and kinda okay looking (i'm not gorgeous that's for sure) she was intimidated by me? Why? Even if that was true which I don't think. I think she was just being ignorant and rude. But even if she did pick on my because of my skin tone...or felt the slight bit of envy torward me....why? Why? She should be proud of the skin tone she is and how she looks. If that is why I mean. I hope she was just being rude.

but anyway I still can't believe how she pretty much called me a racist. It bothered me because I am not. I am biracial and my boyfriend is black! Why in the hell would I think any race in particular is stupid? I think ignorant and rude m-therfuckers are stupid.

Know what else bothered me? How she said, "NOT ALL." So she's pretty much subliminally saying, "I know there are a lot of stupid black people out there but I'm not one of them."

Yeah I read into $hit a little too much. It's something to think about though.

Cristine87

First, of all, I work at a store too and at the guest service desk doing returns and exchanges as well. I just LOVE it when people come up to me with a used item in a jacked up box with no receipt and expect me to just take it back. I don't know about you but I don't return things to the store without my receipt and especially in less then great condition. Secondly, what kind of rude, ignorant @ss statement is that to make to someone? So because she didn't get her way, she wants to pull the race card on you because you're fair-skinned and on top of that, she waits til your supervisor leaves to act a fool? Oh hell no! Her statement does come off to me as someone who's insecure with themselves. But whatever, her insecurities are not your problem and she didn't have to disrespect you because that right there did make her look stupid and ignorant. I swear, people like that are quick to go off on an employee because they know they can't get cussed out! Trick! :boxing

OneMoreChance

I have also worked the service desk before and it is a job that I will NEVER do again. I don't care if I am starving and homeless I will never work service desk anywhere. On top if all the crap that you normally run into working the service desk the store that I worked for was so horribly run that it literally seemed like every customer I dealt with was complaining about something!

The store that I worked at also had the same policy. if you returned something without a receipt the you recieved in store credit and the lowest sales price from the last 6 days. Just thining about that job is enough to raise my blood pressure! I too was accused by a customer of being racist. She screamed at me for about 5 mins with my manager standing right there! I was appalled! I had NEVER been spoken to like that before by ANYBODY.

So yeah, it's a job that I will never do again!

LittleSusie50

I am African American, and I deal with racism on a daily basis. That's just the way it is, sorry to say.
Any how, I understand why she said what she said, but I don't agree with it.
I work with people of different races all the time.
I know some black people who are ignorant as hell, and some who are highly intelligent.
I know some white people who are ignorant as hell, and some who are highly intelligent.
I finally came to this realization a few years ago: Ignorance and stupidity have no color.
A damn fool is just a damn fool, period.
It doesn't matter what color you are.
Don't waste any more time on it. Not worth the energy.
As long as YOU know what you are, don't worry about it.
Life is too short.
Peace,
LittleSusie :respect