\"Thriller\" - Overrated?

mcilroga

Now, come on guys, let's get serious. Is anyone else out there tired of hearing all about Thriller? I am. It's everywhere. On the TV, I've honestly heard "Thriller is the highest selling album of all time" 3,000 times. It's kind of starting to get on my nerves.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love "Thriller"... I'm just getting tired of hearing about it so much, especially with Michael's other albums. You honestly don't hear so much about "Bad," "Dangerous," "HIStory," or "Invincible." Or even "Off the Wall." I'd like to hear more about those albums on the tube, but everyone just keeps praising "Thriller," and it's really starting to grind my gears. :lol

Anyone else tired of it?

Shannon

Well... I love Thriller, it's an awesome album with many great songs. But it's NOT my favorite album, not when you've got HIStory, Invincible and Dangerous... yes, not to mention Off The Wall. I don't like Bad that much either, to be honest. :unsure:

Ops, sorry Michael if you happen to lurk in here -- don't get me wrong, I love your albums, all of them. :D :8-26-03fruits_apple :p LOL.

T0dd0la

Shannon;178516 said:
Well... I love Thriller, it's an awesome album with many great songs. But it's NOT my favorite album, not when you've got HIStory, Invincible and Dangerous... yes, not to mention Off The Wall. I don't like Bad that much either, to be honest. :unsure:

Ops, sorry Michael if you happen to lurk in here -- don't get me wrong, I love your albums, all of them. :D :8-26-03fruits_apple :p LOL.

Veronica, You are just 7 post away from 3000:) Today will be your 3000 anniversary:) woohoo;)

Shannon

T0dd0la;178518 said:
Veronica, You are just 7 post away from 3000:) Today will be your 3000 anniversary:) woohoo;)

Aww, thanks for noticing, Ola. :p

A great proof that I ain't got anything better to do, aye? :rolleyes: Ohh, but I do. I just don't feel up to it tonight... Gosh, the storm is getting pretty powerful here now, and it's pouring down. :blink:

Cristine87

I love Thriller, yes! However, it's not my favorite album of his and yes, it's a ashame that his other work isn't praised nearly as much. I wonder if he ever get's tired of it, himself. I know I would. You bust your ass making other pieces of work and the only one you really get credit for is something you did almost a quarter century ago! My personal favorite is Dangerous, because I love the new jack sound and a close second, is History, because lyrically he is at his best and IMO, the best song he's ever done, "Stranger in Moscow" is on that one.

ajkinkycuffs

Well he was the one who wished Thriller became big, and well..what did it do? It became big lol. I'm sure he would like all of his work to become noticeable in the same light, but theres always going to be a lower seller you know? Now for the rest of his work, it does get noticed. It's not just about getting noticed in papers, media, limelight, it's those families and individuals who ENJOY those OTHER songs at home, in private, on nice dates, on their ipod etc etc. That's what music is about. Not everything is going to be on top. But we do know it has reached other people, well because for example...us..the fans! We know pretty much most of all his songs, have a copy of it somewhere, heard it once before..whatever right? And it's a blessing that his work that was done 20 years ago is still getting recognition when many artists' music drops off the face of earth two years later. I love thriller, but of course it's going to get annoying at times. So that thought compells me to listen to his OTHER music. Same with other people, they think "Oh I'm tired of this one, did he do any other songs?" And then thats when people start searching it out, and maybe who knows become a fan because of it. So all of his music gets attention. People know about it, just love certain ones maybe a little more.

Saphster

Hmm...no I never get tired of hearing about Thriller. His other albums get the same recognition but thriller gets more attention because it has sold more, and it broke through SO MUCH more barriers than his other albums did. I'm glad Thriller is big, as it is today, and I never get tired of it. You all would be happy too if your album went number 1 all over the world, and changed music history forever.

Tessa

If you read Mj's book Moonwalk, then you'd see that even HE is tired of it. He says..oh look I did bad..but they compare it to THRILLER..I did dangerous compare it to THRILLER...see?

I've never gotten sick of hearing about it, I think it's just getting the praising it deserves. But I do agree that his other albums are kind of pushed out into the dark because Thriller has done so well. That's kind of a bad thing, but it's better than having no success at all.:idontknow

mysteriousone

mcilroga;178475 said:
Now, come on guys, let's get serious. Is anyone else out there tired of hearing all about Thriller? I am. It's everywhere. On the TV, I've honestly heard "Thriller is the highest selling album of all time" 3,000 times. It's kind of starting to get on my nerves.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love "Thriller"... I'm just getting tired of hearing about it so much, especially with Michael's other albums. You honestly don't hear so much about "Bad," "Dangerous," "HIStory," or "Invincible." Or even "Off the Wall." I'd like to hear more about those albums on the tube, but everyone just keeps praising "Thriller," and it's really starting to grind my gears. :lol

Anyone else tired of it?
:uh_uh: I'll NEVER tire of hearing THRILLER!!!

*holds banner up even higher so Jesse can see it clearer*

:bleh :icrackingup

Mysti!

mcilroga

mysteriousone;178587 said:

Mysti!

:lol

I just mean, his other work should be praised too, y'know? :p

Shannon

mysteriousone;178587 said:

Mysti!

Awww... how sweet you are. :wub: :lol :lol

Ben

Thriller isn't my favorite Michael Jackson album. My favorites are Bad and Off The Wall, then Thriller.

I don't think Thriller is overrated at all. It's a very simple album, ie not a concept album but a collection of brilliant songs and 3 amazing songs ie Wanna Be Startin Somethin, Billie Jean and Beat It that were written by Michael. The Thriller album also has something very magical about it that no other album by Michael or any artist or band has, which is why it's the biggest selling album of all time. Thriller is also one of the most loved albums of all time, because everybody knows the Thriller album and that has nothing to do with sales but the songs on it.

Thriller took the world by suprise (which I remember very well), and only a few (and I mean very few) albums since Thriller have had as much cultural impact. Because of the hugh sales of Thriller, no other Michael Jackson album would every be accepted by the media and even fans as being as good as Thriller.

Many other artists like David Bowie and Prince are known for there first breakthrough or biggest selling albums, more thene for there best and most innovative albums. The Beatles are best known for the Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road albums, but most Beatles fans and the Beatles themselves say Revolver was their best album (and I agree).

I think Bad is Michael's best album, most music critics prefer Off The Wall, and most fans like Dangerous the most.

The only thing that really annoyes me about the Thriller album, and era is that the media focus on everything Michael's done post Thriller as going downhill. When the fact is Michael has done many things bigger, better and more successful than what he did during the Thriller era. Bad was a better tour than the Victory Tour. The Bad album singles had 5 USA No 1's, and Thriller 2 No.1 singles. The singles from Bad around the world were more successful than Michael's Thriller singles. And Michael's singles success in the UK with the History album was his most successful ever (at present).

Another thing is most artists/bands often release a flop or series of flop albums after their biggest selling album. This didn't happen to Michael with Bad selling 29 million, and Dangerous selling 30 million. Even Michael's post false allegations albums History (15 million) and Invincible (8 million, selling more than JT's Justified album) are above average albums sales. And Michael has continued to create classic songs.

Well, "Thriller" is an awesome album. It's the first album of his I bought when becoming a fan, so it holds sentimental value for me as well, even though I wasn't even born yet when it came out. :lol :p

BUT, it annoys me to no end when people act like it's the ONLY good thing he's ever released in his career. "Thriller" and its related short films rock, but they are not the ONLY thing he's ever done! In fact, he's only gotten even better over time! :D For example, "Thriller", the shortfilm, is really cool, but "Ghosts" is like ten times better..in my estimation, at least. Michael has constantly continued to evolve over the course of his career and that is something that's been largely underestimated, I think..

Saphster

mcilroga;178602 said:

Bad is highly praised as a breakthrough for Michael! At the time he was trying to achieve that "tough" image, and people will never forget that jacket with the many zippers, and pants with endless buckels in that BAD video. And also THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL, was also a big event. People loved that song, and loved the video. Let's not forget SMOOTH CRIMINAL. Need I say more about that vid??

BLACK AND WHITE, tell me who didn't see that video! It made controversy all over the world. It's morphing technique was something different, and was revolutionary. And the dance sequence at the end was also a hot topic.:lol

Scream- Janet, and Michael in a vid for the first time. People went nuts over that.

When you really think about it and watch plenty of MJ shows on VH1 (the old ones, not the new ones:lol ) you'll see that Thriller isn't the only one that gets recognition.:wink

mysteriousone

mcilroga;178602 said:

Thriller is the best-selling album of all time, won eight Grammy Awards and sold more than 50 million copies, so of course it's going to be, more talked about!! Michael's other albums and all his work is praised, is recognised, they just haven't done as good as Thriller, so will not be talked about as much! :bleh :lol

Mysti!

mcilroga

mysteriousone;178674 said:
Not very sweet at all according to, Jesse! She almost bit my head off! :lol :lol

Mysti!

But it gets tiring after a while... I mean, come on... We know what impact the album has had. I mean, you hardly EVER hear anything about HIStory, which is easily Michael's deepest, most important, and most personal work.

mysteriousone

mcilroga;178676 said:

But it gets tiring after a while... I mean, come on... We know what impact the album has had. I mean, you hardly EVER hear anything about HIStory, which is easily Michael's deepest, most important, and most personal work.

Tell you what, I would much prefer them talking about how big Thriller is than talking about Michael's trial last year and all the accuser's coming forward with pathetic allegations, anyday!! This is POSITIVE news, and I for one, will never tire of it!!

As I mentioned in a previous post, they're not going to talk as much about his other work because Thriller is the best-selling album of all time! "Thriller" is the biggest selling album in history!!! Of course they're going to concentrate on it!! :D

Mysti!

Mysti, you've made some fantastic points. I agree with them:

-I'd rather hear positive news like this over and over than about the trials and such.
-Thriller was much more successful, and therefore, will get much more publicity and credit. Simple logic:D