Am I not seeing this because I don\'t want to?

Missy

I was with my Michael-loving best friend today when she mentioned Michael's drug use. Touchy subject to me... We were looking at pictures of him and she mentioned how 'ill' he looked before he... passed. :( The o2 announcement pictures were her main target. She said that she thought his glasses hid his 'long' drug abuse and that she also thought he looked thin and ill in a lot of recent pictures, not just the o2 ones. But when I first saw him at that particular 'event' for the o2 concerts, I thought he looked beautiful and so healthy and happy! I just simply don't see what she means. I wonder, am I just in denial and don't want to see how 'ill' he was, or is she over-analysing? :(

Her main target pictures where she thinks he looks high:

302b.jpg

mjlondonu.jpg

And her 'thin' one:

009xh.jpg

R e a f u

I really don't see anything that makes him look "sick". Yes he's thin but you can attribute that to any number of things. If I remember right, he had special trainers to get him into top shape, plus Kai Chase planning his meals. And I'm sure pure adrenaline and getting hyped up for a tour is enough to make a person lose weight. And you have to remember...Mike has always been a really tall and lanky fella. That's just how his body is and remember, dancers usually are on the skinny side.

HeavenSent

Many fans glossed over his numerous doctors appointment visits leading up to the announcement. Many merely were just overjoyed that they were able to see pics of their man out and about. In hindsight, you do notice the weight loss much more acutely. A casual, 'man he's so thin' has come out of my mouth but because I never would have thought him in danger, I left it alone.

Since his death, I have read numerous interviews and anecdotes from his friends who have said that during touring season, Michael didn't eat. He wanted to, but couldn't. (I'd posted an interview w/ex Sony execs who worked extensively w/him and they gave a vivid visual of Mike when he'd prep for a tour) Basically, he'd put himself into overdrive and placed sleeping and eating on the backburner. If that was the case, there you go.

As far as his "drug use", I don't know what to say, really. Mike under prescription was his MSG concert. His This Is It announcement, I'm just not seeing it. Michael 99.9% of the time wore sunshades, whether he was chilling in Bahrain or going to the bookstore. I honestly don't think there could be any accurate assessment based on that alone. Mike when he was minding his own business, wore shades; if he was trying to 'hide' any drug use, I doubt he'd have his children with him. In almost every pic leading up to that annoucement, he had them at his side holding their hands. Remember that doctor's pic in that rare pic thread where he's not wearing shades? That picture was recent. The only thing I can glean from that is that he looked a bit tired. To me, he was just being the usual cautious father who just happened to have a throng of paps waiting just for him.

I understand what you are saying about only seeing what you want to see. I've been trying, in my own private reflections of Michael, to figure out just how/when/if/why. The main thing is WHY. Why would this happen? The month of May was a very interesting month to me because it seems to be when there was a whole lot of movement in Michael's camp. Firing. Hiring. The re-emergence of shady figures. And then of course all those tour negotiations taking place. I think I can chalk a whole lot of Mike's appearance to STRESS.

Palmyra

It depends on what "looks sick" means. This could be referring to any number of ailments. Besides, people who suffer from insomnia (Michael's problem) don't "look sick." They are sleep deprived, but I don't think anything makes them look sick.

Drug use? I believe Murray said Michael had only been on Propofol for the six weeks preceding his death. The picture you posted is before he was on Propofol. I don't think using Propofol qualifies as drug use, because "drug use" suggests it is for illicit reasons. He was trying to sleep.

In the first picture, why does it look like he's wearing a wig? His natural hair seemed fine to me a few years back.

DirtyDiana87

Missy,

Please know that I'm not trying to pick a fight you and I know you didn't bring this up with your friend but, I'm SO SICK of people and the media saying how thin Michael was. For pete sake HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN LITTLE

Sorry for the little rantt but, I'm starting to get angry about this. :mad:

Saphster

HeavenSent;219257 said:
Many fans glossed over his numerous doctors appointment visits leading up to the announcement. Many merely were just overjoyed that they were able to see pics of their man out and about. In hindsight, you do notice the weight loss much more acutely. A casual, 'man he's so thin' has come out of my mouth but because I never would have thought him in danger, I left it alone.

Since his death, I have read numerous interviews and anecdotes from his friends who have said that during touring season, Michael didn't eat. He wanted to, but couldn't. (I'd posted an interview w/ex Sony execs who worked extensively w/him and they gave a vivid visual of Mike when he'd prep for a tour) Basically, he'd put himself into overdrive and placed sleeping and eating on the backburner. If that was the case, there you go.

As far as his "drug use", I don't know what to say, really. Mike under prescription was his MSG concert. His This Is It announcement, I'm just not seeing it. Michael 99.9% of the time wore sunshades, whether he was chilling in Bahrain or going to the bookstore. I honestly don't think there could be any accurate assessment based on that alone. Mike when he was minding his own business, wore shades; if he was trying to 'hide' any drug use, I doubt he'd have his children with him. In almost every pic leading up to that annoucement, he had them at his side holding their hands. Remember that doctor's pic in that rare pic thread where he's not wearing shades? That picture was recent. The only thing I can glean from that is that he looked a bit tired. To me, he was just being the usual cautious father who just happened to have a throng of paps waiting just for him.

I understand what you are saying about only seeing what you want to see. I've been trying, in my own private reflections of Michael, to figure out just how/when/if/why. The main thing is WHY. Why would this happen? The month of May was a very interesting month to me because it seems to be when there was a whole lot of movement in Michael's camp. Firing. Hiring. The re-emergence of shady figures. And then of course all those tour negotiations taking place. I think I can chalk a whole lot of Mike's appearance to STRESS.

Totally agree!

edit: I will add that I noticed his behavior was kinda different. He did seem a tad bit off. Like out of nowhere he started chanting "This it it!" with the fans and did a little hyper dance. LOL but he was probably feeling the excitement and energy from his fans, and just stoked to be performing again! It had been a long while since he embraced the stage infront of a big crowd with his magic. I'm sure he was excited.

Palmyra;219263 said:
In the first picture, why does it look like he's wearing a wig? His natural hair seemed fine to me a few years back.

It could just be a human front lace. Michael's hair is a touchy subject with many Michael fans. I don't understand why it is...it's nothing embarrassing or demeaning. A lot of celebrities wear it. Beyonce is like the most noticed celebrity for wearing them.

oldschoolfan

I don't see it, I think he just looks like Michael! Sexy, sexy Michael... :licklips

The media will always say bad things about Michael and make comments about his apperance. Uh... he was 50. Obviously wether he had surgery and the colour of his skin was different or not, he's not going to look like he did at 25. It's not a comparison you can make. And to say he looked like a drug addict, well I've seen many drug addicts who don't look anything like a drug addict, and vice versa. You can't look at a picture of him- especially one taken by the media- and make that analysis.

HeavenSent

There's an 'always been thin' Michael and a 'thinner than usual' Michael. Fansites as a whole never talked about it openly because of that 'do not enter' rule when it came to his appearance. It was that sensitivity that made a lot of us not even want to go there because he got it bad from the media and the numbchucks as it was. Let's face it. Folks never tire of talking about the A-Z's of his physicalness. Already his hair has been brought up in this thread and we weren't even talking about his hair. That's not to say that there are any bad intentions, it's just that his looks have always been such a free for all.

Heather, I do understand your anger. But I think sometimes, certain things do beg the question when it's coming from a genuine fan vs. someone looking to throw a quick jab at him. I can't speak for anyone else, but when I noticed his weight, it is not in any way implicating that it was WRONG of him to be so thin. My weight fluctuates whenever I'm under pressure and I'm already petite. That doesn't make me a bad person.

I love Michael SO much, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't wonder how things could have been different for him.

HeavenSent

oldschoolfan;219286 said:
I don't see it, I think he just looks like Michael! Sexy, sexy Michael... :licklips
When I was scrolling the photo down, I literally stopped at his pearly whites and just stared. His smile makes my heart hurt, guys. I could just blow it up and enlarge it a million times and stare at it for hours. Hurt heart and all....*sigh*

Saphster

Some more pearly whites!

Pics from MJJgallery
0043.jpg

346.jpg

OMG he was such a dork. :lol (I mean dork in a good way) He was so cute. I love him!

HeavenSent

Damn you, Saph, Damn you! :lol Aww, Mike....I miss you, babe.

The other day I heard that song, "I love your Smile" by that artist Shanice, remember? 90's jam? Song is just for him.:wub:

R e a f u

HeavenSent;219292 said:
Damn you, Saph, Damn you! :lol Aww, Mike....I miss you, babe.

The other day I heard that song, "I love your Smile" by that artist Shanice, remember? 90's jam? Song is just for him.:wub:

That song was just playing this afternoon :eek:! Definitely going to miss that grin...

LittleSusie50

I don't see why it matters at this point...
How does he 'look' high?
Because he is smiling?
I lost a lot of weight since this whole thing happened,
and I was probably about 110 before he passed.
I bet if someone started saying I was on drugs or acting
strange, people who don't know me well would believe it, not knowing what I have gone through the pass few months.
If he was, let's say, the size he was in
TWYMMF, they would say the same thing.
Doesn't matter any way...*sniff*

Missy

Thanks for your input guys. I appreciate it a lot!

DirtyDiana87 said:
Missy,

Please know that I'm not trying to pick a fight you and I know you didn't bring this up with your friend but, I'm SO SICK of people and the media saying how thin Michael was. For pete sake HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN LITTLE

Sorry for the little rantt but, I'm starting to get angry about this. :angry:
I'm sorry, Heather. I never created this topic with the intention to upset anybody, even though I guessed it might. Trust me, I felt like saying all that to my friend, but I don't want to fall out with her over a passing comment, especially as I know she loves Michael. But trust me, her words hurt me too.

HeaventSent said:
I've read this a lot too. I think he probably did end up not eating as much again if I'm honest. :( Yes, Michael has always been small in the waist department, but I've seen pictures of him within the last 4 years where I was worried about him and his weight. I've seen him look worse than he has this year... To me, this year, he looked great, a tad bit underweight, maybe, but great nonetheless! I'm honestly going to put his weight down to getting ready for the concerts and nothing is going to persuade me otherwise.

Palmyra said:
Drug use? I believe Murray said Michael had only been on Propofol for the six weeks preceding his death. The picture you posted is before he was on Propofol. I don't think using Propofol qualifies as drug use, because "drug use" suggests it is for illicit reasons. He was trying to sleep.
My thoughts exactly - he wasn't using propofol then. I really do believe my friend thinks he was an addict, taking this that and everything else, whilst I still don't. As you said, he was using it to try to sleep, poor thing. I don't see drug abuse and being desperate to sleep as the same thing. I don't think it was the drugs and their effects that he craved, it was a good night's sleep that he really wanted.

Saphster said:
edit: I will add that I noticed his behavior was kinda different. He did seem a tad bit off. Like out of nowhere he started chanting "This it it!" with the fans and did a little hyper dance. LOL but he was probably feeling the excitement and energy from his fans, and just stoked to be performing again! It had been a long while since he embraced the stage infront of a big crowd with his magic. I'm sure he was excited.
I agree, he was a tiny bit... off. But I honestly think it was down to nerves. He looked a bit nervous to me. Can't say I blame him.

Thanks agin for your comments guys!

DirtyDiana87

Missy;219320 said:
Thanks for your input guys. I appreciate it a lot!
I'm sorry, Heather. I never created this topic with the intention to upset anybody, even though I guessed it might. Trust me, I felt like saying all that to my friend, but I don't want to fall out with her over a passing comment, especially as I know she loves Michael. But trust me, her words hurt me too.

That's okay Missy. I'm not angry with you please know that. It's just I'm so sick of people making it out to be that Michael was so thin and pale when to me he looked damn good. I don't see what Michael's critics see. U seen a man who wanted to put his best foot forward and do what he did best...Perform!

EDIT: I just realised I refered to Michael in past tense for the first time since he passed. :(

I MISS YOU SO MUCH MICHAEL This is just not fair. :(

Chosen

Hi! I have not visited this site in a while but I wanted to add my voice to the topics here.

On this particular 'issue' I just want to say that I think that Michael had a drug 'problem' in the sense that he had various health concerns and took medication to alleviate them. The medication may have seemed excessive to those persons that Michael did not confide full details of his medical issues with. I am not convinced that Michael had a 'problem' taking drugs to satisfy an addiction.

As someone else posted, the ex-Sony execs spoke about how Michael would neglect to take care of himself properly when preparing for a tour. I am the same way. When I am involved in a theatrical production I tend not be as vigilant about my diet, etc. My focus would be on the project. I imagine that Michael was like that to a higher degree.

Some people like to look for the extreme and the dramatic to explain some things that may have simpler roots (sometimes a cigar is just a cigar) and I believe that Michael was someone who gave a 150% to things once he was committed to them and in the process did not take as good care of himself as he should have. I also think he was aware of this habit and put things in place to mitigate against it.

Also, as I said on another board - in 1993 when Michael had the problem with medication, he came out and admitted it and went to get help. This was before he had his three children. I feel that if Michael felt he was in danger of doing something that would negatively impact on his children he would have done something about it. He knew that he was their world and he loved them. That is just my personal opinion.

HeavenSent

Hi, Chosen, I agree! I was the one who mentioned the ex Sony execs. What they relayed makes me love Michael even more for the sacrifice but mourn him all the same. He'd given up so much of himself, the world will probably never really fully appreciate it.

Once again, I feel the stress of the situations caused his weight loss and yes, I co-sign with you and the importance of him being there for his children.

Welcome back to MJEOL :) Hope to see you around more often!

OneMoreChance

Michael was always a sexy man no matter what! I have noticed that he did seem to go through periods of weight loss/gain. I mean just look at the Stranger In Moscow video he looked very filled out and buff! I have seen some pics that he has looked painfully thin in. He has always been thin and lanky, but at times he was extremely thin. Now I have read that the burns he received filming that Pepsi made it somewhat difficult for him to grow hair on those areas. That coupled with lupus which can cause hair loss and scaliness on the scalp was probably the reason he was wearing wigs. He is always gorgeous, but I do think he looked a lot better with a little weight to him.