Moonwalking in 1955.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Or, as it was called back then, "backslide". :D

i saw this on mjjf and thought it was groovy so i had to post it here.

Bill Bailey tapping and sliding

he does it as the end.

Some people like to go on about Jeffrey Daniels from Shalamar inventing the moonwalk/backslide. saying MJ "stole" it from him. and well... here we can see he didnt. :D

mjj_jdj

Jeffrey Daniels was one of the innovators in the Moonwalker, the correct term used in break dancing Backslide. MJ was taught to break dance by Poppin Taco from the Boggalo Break Dancers... MJ before he met Taco on the Set of Captain EO was already a beginner breakdancer, from what he learned when he was little, but Taco taught mj to become a PRO at breakdancing, like the things you see Michael Doing in Stranger In Moscow performances and stuff MJ was taught that by Poppin Taco, years later after Mr. Daniels, breakdancers added more and evolved that certain move, then MJ came and he was the most famous guy to do it on tv, MJ also evolved the Moonwalker, he made it more smoothier, Breakdancers dance in sneakers, and usually on the street cement, so the moonwalk would be rough, MJ instead used dress shoes, and mostly did it on stage, so it was smoothier, If you watch the Making of Jam on the Dangerous Short Films DVD and mj is teaching Michael How to dance and he tries to do the moonwalk and MJ (michael jackson) himself is having trouble because he is not accustom to doing the moonwalk on cement like surface. If you guys want a clip of Poppin Taco, the guy who taught mj to breakdance, I can post one on this thread, Poppin Taco was also in the Movie Captain Eo... he was one of those Robots.......
PS: I know this stuff cause I major in dance here at my college and have been dancing forever, and I breakdance so I had to research stuff like that to learn to break dance

HeavenSent

Originally posted by mjj_jdj
Jeffrey Daniels was one of the innovators in the Moonwalker, the correct term used in break dancing Backslide. MJ was taught to break dance by Poppin Taco from the Boggalo Break Dancers... MJ before he met Taco on the Set of Captain EO was already a beginner breakdancer, from what he learned when he was little, but Taco taught mj to become a PRO at breakdancing, like the things you see Michael Doing in Stranger In Moscow performances and stuff MJ was taught that by Poppin Taco, years later after Mr. Daniels, breakdancers added more and evolved that certain move, then MJ came and he was the most famous guy to do it on tv, MJ also evolved the Moonwalker, he made it more smoothier, Breakdancers dance in sneakers, and usually on the street cement, so the moonwalk would be rough, MJ instead used dress shoes, and mostly did it on stage, so it was smoothier, If you watch the Making of Jam on the Dangerous Short Films DVD and mj is teaching Michael How to dance and he tries to do the moonwalk and MJ (michael jackson) himself is having trouble because he is not accustom to doing the moonwalk on cement like surface. If you guys want a clip of Poppin Taco, the guy who taught mj to breakdance, I can post one on this thread, Poppin Taco was also in the Movie Captain Eo... he was one of those Robots.......

Never knew that....

PS: I know this stuff cause I major in dance here at my college and have been dancing forever, and I breakdance so I had to research stuff like that to learn to break dance
Did you watch the clip of Bill Bailey?

mjj_jdj

the clip with Bill Bailey is the Backslide aka Moonwalk in its amatuer/ early stages, as years past ppl evolved the move to make it more like an illusion. Even with MJ mj from History era does the moonwalk better than mj from thriller era, as time went on he got better at it...Also, Bill Bailey is a tap dancers, and tap dancers don't specialize in sliding, but that is in fact the moonwalk which he does in that clip

what do you mean by "Jeffrey Daniels was one of the innovators in the Moonwalker"?
Bill Bailey did it in 1955. when Daniels wasnt even born. :2thinking

mjj_jdj

but my statement still stands, Jeffrey was an innovator of the Moonwalk, innovators are the first to do something ...doesnt mean they invented it

Originally posted by mjj_jdj+-->QUOTE (mjj_jdj)sorry lol got names mixed up saw u talkin bout daniels, but the clip is bill switch the names[/b]

:greenlaug had me confused

?[/b][/quote]
you're kidding right?

mjj_jdj

No Michael did not invent the moonwalk, Michael has said it himself tons of times. The moonwalk didn't become popular until Breakdancing and Pop Locking came around in the early 80s, Michael didn't invent the moonwalk, and he didn't steal it, there is no such thing as stealing in dancing, you borrow and make it into ur own. Dance moves are not copywritten

but my statement still stands, Jeffrey was an innovator of the Moonwalk, innovators are the first to do something ...doesnt mean they invented it
but he wasnt the first to do it. moonwalk, backslide...same thing.
sure it evolved since the 50s but its still the same thing.

mjj_jdj

Pretty much every move mj does has been borrowed, the only thing that mj I would say invented into his own was the crotch grab, and the kicks....the spin he got that from james brown, that lil tap dance move he does in the Black or White video in the end, and in concerts he got that from Fred Estaire, the toe stand Elvis Presley used to do that (I will try to find the picture I have of him doing it and post it on here), and alot of the other stuff he does the robot and stuff like that, its Pop Lockin, brb while i try to find that picture of elvis

mjj_jdj

Originally posted by 1984
but he wasnt the first to do it. moonwalk, backslide...same thing.
sure it evolved since the 50s but its still the same thing.
But he was 1 of the first to do it ;) Like there isnt just 1 innovator in great music, there are tons of innovators in great music, MJ , Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Whitney Houston, list go on and on The originals who first started something

Status
Not open for further replies.