Official Feb. 22 Jury Selection Thread

Aaliyah

22fev.jpg

HeavenSent

Got damn! he's looking sharp! I hope he gets to feeling better. Go Michael!

lol @ Diane saying he looks "fit".

Right on about juror # 63! Sounds like he/she really wanted to get that comment in.

Originally posted by NevaehDreamz
capt.carf10102221656.michael_jackson_carf101.jpg

You can tell he's tired. He's such a warrior like he said. :laugh I'd be up there looking like the world is about to end.

Aww, he's leaning out 'da car AGAIN!!! Only Michael..only Michael! :lol: :inlove

He looks, as always, soo strong and gorgeous. And what, no glasses this time? He gone naked face! :D :lol:

Gotta love him... :blowkisse :D

hot4uMichael

I think people are saying that cause they know he has been on the hospital and had a flu... if we haven't known about it we would say "hey he looks so healthy and so good-looking" but now I hear "he is so pale and he looks so tired and still sick"............ well.... we asume what we hear

Nine jurors dismissed from Michael Jackson jury pool on Tuesday

By Tim Molloy
ASSOCIATED PRESS

11:55 a.m. February 22, 2005

SANTA MARIA — Nine prospective jurors in the child molestation trial of Michael Jackson were dismissed Tuesday, including three by mutual agreement of the defense and prosecution.

Those jurors included two women who questioned their ability to be fair because of news reports they had seen and a woman who said she was twice falsely accused of abusing children and had been abused herself.

Defense attorneys and prosecutors also dismissed two jurors each. Each side can eliminate 10 jurors without stating a cause.

Without giving reasons, prosecutors dismissed an 18-year-old man who said in court he was a Jackson fan and loved to sing karaoke and a woman who said she once did a cheerleading routine to one of Jackson's songs while in Junior High and she felt sympathy toward Jackson because of molestation allegations involving her relatives.

The defense, without noting any reasons, dismissed a 28-year-old mother of two young children whose own mother works in the district attorney's office and a male juror who said he had three friends who worked for the sheriff's department.

Two jurors were dismissed for hardship, one because he had job interviews and the other because his employer did not pay for long jury service.

Another man was dismissed earlier this month for health reasons, leaving 233 people in the original jury pool.

Jury selection resumed Tuesday after a week's delay, ordered when Jackson was hospitalized with what Santa Barbara County Superior Court Judge Rodney S. Melville said was the flu. Jackson, dressed in black, arrived in court Tuesday and chatted with his attorneys at the defense table before jury selection resumed.

Melville told prospective jurors that he understood their frustrations over "a couple of false starts," referring to Jackson's illness and an earlier delay caused by the death of defense attorney Thomas Mesereau's sister.

But, he said, it was not part of a calculated attempt by anyone to slow down the trial. "Mr. Jackson really was sick. He really did have the flu. I talked to his doctor. ... I wouldn't let anyone take advantage of us that way."

Jackson was released from the hospital on Wednesday after being admitted on Tuesday for "flu-like" symptoms.

The judge said several names had been added to the defense's celebrity-studded witness list, including Eddie Murphy, Macaulay Culkin and Smokey Robinson. More than 300 defense names submitted earlier included Kobe Bryant, Elizabeth Taylor, Diana Ross and Jay Leno.

Prosecutors on Tuesday interviewed jury prospects who had previously been questioned by defense attorneys.

Senior Deputy District Attorney Ron Zonen asked the prospects whether they had seen a recent interview with Jackson by Geraldo Rivera that aired on Fox News in which Jackson said many of the stories about him are not true. No one said they had seen it.

Before jury selection was canceled last week, Mesereau asked prospects about their interest in the arts, their feelings toward Jackson, and whether they believed child witnesses could be led to lie. The defense will argue that the mother of Jackson's 15-year-old accuser, a former cancer patient, has told him to lie.

Attorneys are trying to select 12 jurors and eight alternates from a pool of 242 potential jurors. Each side can ask to remove an unlimited number of jurors for bias.

Jackson, 46, is accused of molesting the boy, plying him with wine, and conspiring to hold his family captive.

:3nav http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-02220...-home-headlines

Without giving reasons, prosecutors dismissed an 18-year-old man who said in court he was a Jackson fan and loved to sing karaoke and a woman who said she once did a cheerleading routine to one of Jackson's songs while in Junior High and she felt sympathy toward Jackson because of molestation allegations involving her relatives.

Sorry, but some of these reasons are ridiculous! Although both sides aren't fully required to elaborate on various prospective juror dismissals, they should at least be supported by some genuine evidence of potential Bias. I mean, because a girl has previously danced to one of Michael's songs doesn't necessarily suggest that it could lead to prejudice judgment.

If the prosecutions intentions are to eliminate anyone who has previously encountered Michael's music, then they won't find a single person who will meet their criteria.. Who hasn't listened or danced to Michael's music?

HeavenSent

The defense's dismissals seemed more legit to me. But I'm not surprised by either choices.
If you think about it, like you said Jamie, who HASN'T been touched by Michael's music in one way or the other...But I guess since the potential jurors disclosed it, the pros. grabbed it when he could.

The defense, on the other hand, knew it would present conflict of interests. You don't even have to think twice about that. I mean c'mon, having connections to the DA and the sheriff's dept? Hell no.

But, he said, it was not part of a calculated attempt by anyone to slow down the trial. "Mr. Jackson really was sick. He really did have the flu. I talked to his doctor. ... I wouldn't let anyone take advantage of us that way."
Thank you, Melville. But how many people are gonna admit that they were wrong for claiming Michael faked it?

How about none.

That's how it goes in MJ's world...Moving on... Now can the judge PLEASE address the illegal leakage of the grand jury transcripts? That's what I really want to know. Is he gonna let that slide and let the loose lips go unpunished?

LuckyStar

Exactly! That smile.... Oh god... Your heart melts at the spot.

That makes me feel so good.

Now can the judge PLEASE address the illegal leakage of the grand jury transcripts?

I would also like know when the Judge will challenge these resent leaks. As the Judge I see this as an imperative obligation as it could determine the overall outcome of the case if these illegal leaks continue to be distributed to media outlets. The investigation to discover the source of these Grand jury transcript leaks should be his main priority at this moment in time, as it could lead to serious concequences...

It hasn't only happened once, but twice. I would rather there be either a solution, or a method of punishment to resolve this problem before it becomes a regular occurrence.