Official May 17 2005 Thread

Cristine87

So Sneddon wants to make it seem as though the woman didn't know what she was doing? I wouldn't question other people's ability to do their job if I can't do mine!

MJISHOT

Originally posted by Cristine87
So Sneddon wants to make it seem as though the woman didn't know what she was doing? I wouldn't question other people's ability to do their job if I can't do mine!
lol

-MyAngelMJ-

Exactly. WTF is Sneddon thinking of himself??

Aaliyah

2005-05-17T215051Z_01_SMT11D_RTRIDSP_2_CRIME-JACKSON.jpg

Aaliyah

Social worker: Boy denied sexual abuse by Michael Jackson

By Linda Deutsch
ASSOCIATED PRESS
2:36 p.m. May 17, 2005

SANTA MARIA — A social worker testified Tuesday in Michael Jackson's child molestation trial that she met privately with the accuser and his family during the time they claim they were Jackson's captives and they praised him and denied any sexual abuse.

Irene Lavern Peters, a 30-year veteran of the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services, said she met with the mother and her three children on Feb. 20, 2003, after the airing of a documentary that drew attention to Jackson's relationship with the boy who is now his accuser.

Peters said she specifically questioned the accuser about his relationship with Jackson.

"I asked him if he had ever been sexually abused by Michael Jackson and he became upset. He said, 'Everybody thinks Michael Jackson sexually abused me. He never touched me,'" she said.

She said the accuser told her Jackson "was very kind to him and treated him like a father."

Peters said the boy "appeared to be very open, eager to talk. He didn't seem uncomfortable when I asked the question. My observation ... was he did not show any signs of sexual molestation."

Peters' supervisor, Karen Walker, testified she was present and there was no mention of molestation. She said that "if anyone had said anything inappropriate had happened our conversation would have terminated and we would have called the police."

The date of the interview and the boy's denial is significant: Prosecutors first charged Jackson with committing lewd acts with the boy between Feb. 7 and March 10, 2003. A superseding grand jury indictment pushed back the period to between Feb. 20 and March 12.

Jackson, 46, is also accused of plying the then-13-year-old boy with wine and conspiring to hold the family captive to get them to make a video to rebut the documentary "Living With Michael Jackson," which aired in the U.S. on Feb. 6, 2003.

The boy, a cancer survivor, appeared with Jackson in the documentary and Jackson told interviewer Martin Bashir that he let children sleep in his bed but it was non-sexual.

Peters said she interviewed the mother, the boy, his younger brother and older sister and all of them praised Jackson. She said the mother, who was present at each child's individual interview, even gave Jackson credit for curing her son.

Rather than wanting to flee Jackson's Neverland ranch, Peters said the mother initially asked if the social worker could do her interview at the Santa Barbara County estate.

Peters said, however, that she wanted to see where they were living and so she was invited to the home of the mother's boyfriend, who is now her husband.

"She denied all allegations of general neglect," said Peters. "I asked her about the relationship with Michael Jackson. She went on to say he was like a father to her children and she felt he was responsible for helping (the boy) to survive his cancer, for his cancer to go into remission.

"I asked her if the kids ever slept in Michael Jackson's room and she said no, that never happened."

Under questioning by defense attorney Thomas Mesereau Jr., Peters said the family members never mentioned being held against their will, being falsely imprisoned or that Jackson was trying to extort them in any way.

The interview took place the morning after the family made the so-called rebuttal video which they later claimed they were forced to do by Jackson's associates.

Peters said the only thing they complained about was that they had not been asked for permission for the children to appear in the "Living With Michael Jackson" documentary.

Asked about the demeanor of the family during the interviews, Peters said they were "spontaneous."

She described the mother as "very confident, kind of anxious, very loquacious, a very touchy-feely kind of person."

At one point Peters said of the accuser, "I asked him point-blankly if he ever slept in bed with Michael Jackson and he said no."

She said that at the start of the interviews, the family asked her to watch a video that Jackson had made at Neverland, showing him with the boy during the time he was having chemotherapy.

That video, which has been shown at the trial, paints a loving relationship.

The origin of the complaint that led to the Children and Family Services interview was not clear from testimony, but Peters said the referral contained attorney Gloria Allred's name. Allred has made several highly publicized calls for child-welfare probes of Jackson.

Mesereau asked Peters if her report on the interview concluded that "the allegations of neglect and allegations of sexual abuse by Michael Jackson were unfounded."

Peters said that was correct.

Her testimony touched on an element of the prosecution's conspiracy case when she noted that she ran into the mother on April 1, 2003, at a Fat Burger restaurant in a mall where she was taking her children for tutoring.

Peters said the mother told her that "Michael wanted to send them to Brazil and she didn't want to go." Peters said the mother referred to Brazil as "that dump."

The prosecution claims that Jackson and associates wanted to send the family on a one-way trip to Brazil after the documentary aired. A travel planner has testified that she arranged a March 1, 2003, flight but the trip was abruptly canceled.

Walker, the supervisor, said she was also present during the April 1 encounter and said the mother "seemed to be fine and both of the boys seemed to be fine."

On cross-examination, District Attorney Tom Sneddon suggested that Peters should have called police in on the case since it involved sexual abuse allegations.

Peters said police are only called in if allegations are deemed to be true.

The prosecutor also asked about Peters' training for interviewing sex abuse victims and whether she was aware that "children don't always disclose on the first interview."

"Oh yes," she said.

When Sneddon asked if she had seen the Bashir documentary before she interviewed the family, Peters said she had not but had been aware of it.

"Of course, I saw it all over TV," she said. "I live in America."

Also taking the stand was Jackson's 16-year-old cousin Simone Jackson. She testified that she saw the accuser and his brother take wine from Neverland's kitchen in February 2003 during a visit for the birthday of Jackson's son Prince Michael II.

"They didn't see me. I was sitting to the side. I was in the corner," she said. "They grabbed it and ... they left. They went through the back door."

In other testimony, a former Neverland chef's assistant said the accuser's sister talked with him during a two-week period after the family left the ranch and she never complained that they were treated badly or held against their will.

Angel Vivanco said he had spent time with the sister after work about five or six times while the family was at the ranch, and she continued to call him after they left.

Associated Press Writer Tim Molloy contributed to this report.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/2...aeljackson.html

Frenchy

The defense has much stronger, more convincing case than the prosecution! They have there stuff together!
Well, it's not too hard to do it better than the persecution now, is it? :wink

alfredo

Notice how the Deamon was trying to avoid the dates issue? Mez is going to bring this home. I wish I could be a fly on the wall for that closing.