Thriller goes number 2 in Aussie Charts!

mysteriousone

18/02/2008 12:05:00 PM.

Pop legend Michael Jackson has made a sensational comeback, with his album Thriller leaping from 44 to two in the Australian charts this week.

Jackson re-released his classic album earlier this month to celebrate 25 years since it first hit the charts.

The anniversary edition includes remixes by Fergie, Akon and Kanye West.
Jackson couldn't quite knock out singer-songwriter Jack Johnson, whose new album Sleep Through The Static remains in the top spot.

Elegant crooner k.d lang's new album Watershed, a collection of original songs, has debuted at three.

On the back of her Grammy wins for best pop vocal album and best female pop vocal, Amy Winehouse's album Back to Black has snuck back into the top ten at nine.

On the singles chart, pop princess Rihanna continues to reign with Don't Stop The Music at number one, above Leona Lewis's Bleeding Love at two and The Last Goodnight's Pictures Of You at three.

http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/02/18/Thriller_goes_number_2_in_Aussie_charts
--------------------------------------------------------------------
:woohoo: Goooooo Michaellllll......

:eek: Wait, I just noticed Will.I.Am wasn't mentioned! :( The remix of The Girl Is Mine is awesome too (JMO).......arghhh, silly people forgetting to mention him! :chairbeat

Mysti!

Shannon

That is fantastic news. :yayyay I am curious about the Norwegian charts which will be published either Wednesday or Thursday. Its gotta be at least top 5. :D

4evermjj

I've read only a few minutes ago that Thriller is No. 8 in Germany...
and Thriller 25 is No.2!!!!:lol :8-26-03respect:

It's No. 1 in Sweden, right?!:8-26-03respect: :yayyay :59: :woohoo:

mysteriousone

This is brilliant guys............I'm so happy right now! :D Make sure, Veronica, that you let us know what number on the charts in Norway, Thriller and/or Thriller25 stands when the chart is published! :thumbsup

I was thinking, because I've noticed Whisper has made a thread also regarding Thriller25's performance, wouldn't it be a good idea to have an official thread so all charts/results/news from different countries can be posted in that thread? It'd be alot easier than having to sift through several threads to see the results! Just a thought! :D

Mysti!

mysteriousone

Okay I've just heard the Thriller25 Anniversary Album has reached #1 in France, #2 in Australia, Switzerland, Norway, Germany and #3 in the United Kingdom and New Zealand. :mf_w00t2: We love you Michael..........from us Kiwi's!!! :D

Isn't it amazing guys? :woohoo:

Mysti!

Shannon

mysteriousone;201848 said:
Okay I've just heard the Thriller25 Anniversary Album has reached #1 in France, #2 in Australia, Switzerland, Norway, Germany and #3 in the United Kingdom and New Zealand. :mf_w00t2: We love you Michael..........from us Kiwi's!!! :D

Isn't it amazing guys? :woohoo:

Mysti!

Indeed it is. :D

And even more so since Thriller never reached that level of popularity here in Norway in 1982 as black music was kinda not that accepted here yet. I am sooo excited over this, yay. :yayyay

Ohh, and today I finally received an email from cdon.com that my Thriller 25 and TGIM single have been shipped today after a whole week of waiting. So, any day now, any day. :D :happymail:

4evermjj

Okay, mysti, V and Leah and everyone else who is interested.

I quoted the iTunes charts:oops:
Michael is on No.2 for Thriller 25 and no.8 for Thriller. Aww, well anyhow. He must be somewhere with Thriller in those Media Control charts, aye?:lol Sorry, V. Your influence is too big:blink: :8-26-03fruits_apple
Anyhow, I'll include an article anyway...but, mind you, it's the media control one, so no Thriller, only Thriller 25. My bad:cryptic

Album-Charts: MICHAEL JACKSON feiert Comeback

BADEN-BADEN (chart-king.de) - Michael Jackson sichert sich in dieser Woche den höchsten Neueinstieg in den deutschen Album-Charts . Sein neuaufgelegtes Album "Thriller (25th Anniversary Edition)" steigt direkt auf der Zwei ein . Amy Winehouse befindet sich mit "Back To Black" nach wie vor an der Spitze. Das berichtet jetzt das Branchenblatt "Musikmarkt" unter Berufung auf Media Control. Auch die kanadische Band "Simple Plan" konnte sich einen Platz in den Top Ten sichern. Ihr gleichnamiges Album landet an zehnter Stelle. "Euphorie" von Alex C. featuring Yass holt zum Einstieg Platz 20. A Fine Frenzy gelingt mit "One Cell In The Sea" der Neueinstieg in die Albumcharts auf Platz 23 , während Nicole mit "Mitten ins Herz" auf Platz 24 einsteigt. Weitere Platzierungen sind bislang nicht bekannt.

chart-king.de

Translation

Michael Jackson secures the highest entry to german album charts this week. His newly recorded album Thriller(25th Anniversary Edition) goes directly to number two.

:happymail: :8-26-03respect:

well, the rest is about Amy Whinehouse at number one:idontknow and a canadian band (Leah?) called Simple Plan.

mysteriousone

Shannon;201852 said:
Indeed it is. :D

And even more so since Thriller never reached that level of popularity here in Norway in 1982 as black music was kinda not that accepted here yet. I am sooo excited over this, yay. :yayyay
:blink: Well they finally realised (after twenty + years) what they were missing eh...silly buggers!! :p :lol

Ohh, and today I finally received an email from cdon.com that my Thriller 25 and TGIM single have been shipped today after a whole week of waiting. So, any day now, any day. :D :happymail:
:yayyay That's fantastic, Veronica! Let us know what you think of Thriller25 after listening to it! If you're anything like me, you won't be disappointed! :D

4evermjj said:
Okay, mysti, V and Leah and everyone else who is interested.

I quoted the iTunes charts
Michael is on No.2 for Thriller 25 and no.8 for Thriller. Aww, well anyhow. He must be somewhere with Thriller in those Media Control charts, aye? Sorry, V. Your influence is too big
Anyhow, I'll include an article anyway...but, mind you, it's the media control one, so no Thriller, only Thriller 25. My bad

Quote:
Album-Charts: MICHAEL JACKSON feiert Comeback

BADEN-BADEN (chart-king.de) - Michael Jackson sichert sich in dieser Woche den höchsten Neueinstieg in den deutschen Album-Charts . Sein neuaufgelegtes Album "Thriller (25th Anniversary Edition)" steigt direkt auf der Zwei ein . Amy Winehouse befindet sich mit "Back To Black" nach wie vor an der Spitze. Das berichtet jetzt das Branchenblatt "Musikmarkt" unter Berufung auf Media Control. Auch die kanadische Band "Simple Plan" konnte sich einen Platz in den Top Ten sichern. Ihr gleichnamiges Album landet an zehnter Stelle. "Euphorie" von Alex C. featuring Yass holt zum Einstieg Platz 20. A Fine Frenzy gelingt mit "One Cell In The Sea" der Neueinstieg in die Albumcharts auf Platz 23 , während Nicole mit "Mitten ins Herz" auf Platz 24 einsteigt. Weitere Platzierungen sind bislang nicht bekannt.

chart-king.de

Translation

Michael Jackson secures the highest entry to german album charts this week. His newly recorded album Thriller(25th Anniversary Edition) goes directly to number two.

well, the rest is about Amy Whinehouse at number one and a canadian band (Leah?) called Simple Plan.
I'm interested alright! :mf_w00t2:

I think it's absolutely amazing how the two of them (Thriller and Thriller25) stand at #2 and #8 on the charts in Germany! :woohoo: You guys are the best! :D I've been spreading the word about that online and offline....:D (lol@me..I'm still sitting here with a big goofey grin on my face, I can't stop smiling, I'm so happy)

Thanks so much for the info too, Dagmar! :D

Mysti!

Shannon

From http://www.michaeljackson.com. Check the bold part. :p

February 20, 2008 - Thriller 25th Anniversary Debuts At #2!

Global response to the release of Thriller 25, the newly expanded deluxe 25th anniversary edition of Michael Jackson's Thriller, the world's top-selling album of all-time, reached a fever pitch across the world today, as first-week sales numbers poured in. The Thriller 25th Anniversary release is America's #2 Top-Selling Album this week, more than a quarter century after the album's original release. Already shaping up as one of the hottest albums of 2008, Thriller 25 has rocketed into the Top 5 (or better) in a variety of territories across the planet following its worldwide release.
Outside of the US, the new edition of Michael Jackson's classic collection has hit #1 in France; #1 in Belgium; #2 in Germany; #2 in Australia; #2 in the Netherlands; #2 in Norway (Thriller's highest position ever in that country); #2 in Sweden; #2 in Switzerland; #3 in the UK; #3 in Denmark; #3 in New Zealand; #4 in Spain; #5 in Austria; #5 in Ireland; #6 in the Czech Republic; and #6 in Italy.

Thanks to all of you, the fans, for your support of Michael, and of this very special release.

:yayyay I am so proud of my country.

Come to Norway, Michael. WE LOVE YOU. :D :8-26-03respect:

#2 here in America! :D :

Press Release Source: Legacy Recordings

Michael Jackson's Thriller 25 - The 25th Anniversary Edition of the World's Top-Selling Album of All Time - Is America's #2 Best-Selling Album This Week!!!
Wednesday February 20, 6:37 pm ET

Thriller 25 Rockets to the Top of the Charts... All Over the World!!!

Thriller 25 - Already One of 2008's Top-Selling Albums - Enters Billboard Top Pop Catalog Chart At #1, With 10x The Average First Week's Sales of Albums Topping That Chart During The Past 52 Weeks

NEW YORK, Feb. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Thriller 25 -- the newly-expanded deluxe 25th anniversary edition of Michael Jackson's Thriller, the world's best-selling album of all-time -- is America's #2 Top-Selling Album this week, more than a quarter century after the album's original release. Already shaping up as one of the hottest albums of 2008, Thriller 25 has rocketed into the Top 5 (or better) in a variety of territories across the planet following its worldwide release the week of February 11.

With first week's sales in the United States totaling 165,805 units, Thriller 25 enters the Billboard Top Pop Catalog chart at #1. (During the past 52 week period, the average first week's sales for an album hitting #1 on the Top Pop Catalog chart has been 16.6 thousand pieces; Thriller 25 entered the chart with 10x that number. Because of a technicality in the rules of Billboard charting, Thriller 25 is ineligible to chart on the Top 200. Based on first week's sales, Thriller 25, if eligible, would have entered the Top 200 at #2, nestled between Jack Johnson at #1 and Amy Winehouse at #3.)

Michael Jackson's iconic music film for "Thriller" is currently the #1 music video download on iTunes.

With more than one million copies of Thriller 25 shipped around the world, and re-orders already flooding in, the new edition of Michael Jackson's classic collection has hit #1 in France; #1 in Belgium; #2 in Germany; #2 in Australia; #2 in the Netherlands; #2 in Norway (Thriller's highest position ever in that country); #2 in Sweden; #2 in Switzerland; #3 in the UK; #3 in Denmark; #3 in New Zealand; #4 in Spain; #5 in Austria; #5 in Ireland; #6 in the Czech Republic; and #6 in Italy.

Global response to the release of Thriller 25, the newly expanded deluxe 25th anniversary edition of Michael Jackson's Thriller, the world's top- selling album of all-time, reached a fever pitch across the planet with surprise hit singles, an ongoing 40-episode "ThrillerCast" podcast event, the premiere of the "Thrillicious" Sobe Life Water ad campaign at the Super Bowl, the presentation of a Lifetime Achievement Award to Michael Jackson at the NRJ Music Awards at Cannes and a host of upcoming events and surprises.

In one of the most groundbreaking aspects of the Thriller 25 campaign, fans will soon be able to go online and star in Michael's signature "Thriller" video. Using newly developed technology from innovative media company Big Stage, fans can create photo-realistic 3-D avatars of themselves to be inserted into Michael's role in the classic clip. (Full details TBA.)

The Michael Jackson Thriller 25th anniversary celebration runs throughout 2008 with a multi-faceted global marketing campaign featuring high-profile television, radio and online events around the world and the major re-launch of Michael's official website, http://www.michaeljackson.com

Originally released in the US on November 30, 1982 by Epic Records, Thriller, Michael Jackson's sixth solo album and second with producer Quincy Jones, first entered the Billboard Top 200 album chart at #11 in December 1982. The original Thriller went on to spend an astounding 80 consecutive weeks in the American Top 10, 37 of those at #1, while making history as the first and only record to be America's top-selling album two years running (1983 and 1984). Thriller has been certified 27x platinum by the RIAA, giving it Double Diamond Award status in the US. In 1985, the Guinness Book of Records named Thriller the Best Selling Album of All Time, an achievement which remains unsurpassed to this day.

THRILLER - 25
The World's Biggest Selling Album of All Time

Thriller - original track listing - US Billboard Chart Peaks
"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" - (#5 Hot 100, #5 R&B)
"Baby Be Mine"
"The Girl Is Mine" (with Paul McCartney) - (#2 Hot 100, #1 R&B,
#1 Adult Contemporary)
Thriller" - (#4 Hot 10, #3 Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks)
"Beat It" - (#1 Hot 100, #1 R&B)
"Billie Jean" - (#1 Hot 100, #1 R&B, #9 A/C)
"Human Nature" - (#7 Hot 100, #2 Adult Contemporary)
"P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)" - (#10 Hot 100)
"The Lady in My Life"

Bonus Material:
10. Vincent Price Excerpt
From "Thriller" Voice-Over Session

Previously Unreleased Tracks for 25th Anniversary Edition
11. The Girl Is Mine 2008 with will.i.am
12. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) 2008 with will.i.am
13. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' 2008 with Akon
14. Beat It 2008 with Fergie
15. Billie Jean 2008 Kanye West mix
16. For All Time (unreleased track from original Thriller sessions)

DVD
The Short Films
1. BILLIE JEAN
2. BEAT IT
3. THRILLER
4. BILLIE JEAN - The Legendary Performance from Motown 25: Yesterday,
Today, and Forever

25th Anniversary Executive Producer: Michael Jackson
Original Album Produced by Quincy Jones for Quincy Jones Productions

http://www.michaeljackson.com

http://www.legacyrecordings.com

http://www.epicrecords.com