Official May 13 2005 Thread

Aaliyah

380,http%3A%2F%2Fus.news2.yimg.com%2Fus.yimg.com%2Fp%2Fap%2F20050513%2Fcapt.cars10105131553.michael_jackson_cars101.jpg

345,http%3A%2F%2Fus.news2.yimg.com%2Fus.yimg.com%2Fp%2Fap%2F20050513%2Fcapt.cars10205131558.michael_jackson_cars102.jpg

2005-05-13T155329Z_01_SMT05D_RTRIDSP_2_CRIME-JACKSON.jpg

got2makeitright

Courtesy of MJJF's phatfan:

CBS Report
wendy murphy says the defense is making "a few points"; she says the prosecution also made "a lot of points" and says there is no innocent explanation and that mike sleeping with kids is inherently sexual

sherman debunks that; the defense is doing exactly what they need to do

sherman says geragos can say whatever the defense needs so long as it is true;mike would have had to waive attorney/client privilege

murphy says having geragos testifying may be bad for the defense and that geragos may have to "cleanse" himself; she says the jury wont like him because of scott peterson; sherman shut her up and says the fact that mike is allowing him to testify shows that mike has nothing to hide

sherman doesnt think they've decided whether mike will testify; murphy of course, didnt like the footage and says that mike comparing himself to mother teresa was self-aggrandizing---a clear trait of classic pedophiles ( i am not making this last point up, folks)

cecilia

Have you watched Larry King Show?

I've wached it about 5 minutes today, it wasn't live, though... The subject they were talking? Paedophiles and sex offenders. YUCK! A guy was telling that they are more than 35000 sex offenders in Florida! They've talked about a paedophile who raped and murdered a little girl, and next they've talked about one who was kind with kids, organising their place of play, the garden, etc He was babysitting some kids and the family was soo pleased with him. But, you know... at this point I've suddenly got upset and I've shot the damn TV down.

My guess??? It was intentional! The Sneddon case is going worse, but media is fighting hell to poison those jurors minds... God, I'm so disgusted!

got2makeitright

Originally posted by cecilia
Have you watched Larry King Show?

I've wached it about 5 minutes today, it wasn't live, though... The subject they were talking? Paedophiles and sex offenders. YUCK! A guy was telling that they are more than 35000 sex offenders in Florida! They've talked about a paedophile who raped and murdered a little girl, and next they've talked about one who was kind with kids, organising their place of play, the garden, etc He was babysitting some kids and the family was soo pleased with him. But, you know... at this point I've suddenly got upset and I've shot the damn TV down.

My guess??? It was intentional! The Sneddon case is going worse, but media is fighting hell to poison those jurors minds... God, I'm so disgusted!

So "if" (which he wont) Mj were to be sent to jail who fault would it be?

Aaliyah

From Ja' (MJJF)

*Court TV update*
- LeGrande is still on the stand.
- Geragos is waiting upstairs to be called.
- Says the state will have a lot of questions for Geragos.
- Says Mez may have called on Geragos to show the conspiracy was suspicious to Geragos.
- Says Michael hasn't waived his attorney/client priveldges thus far.
- LeGrande also just testified to having to run ALL papers that Michael had to sign, through Malnick (?) and it was very suspicious to him.
-Also says that LeGrande is taking about 15-20 seconds in answering questions. He won't answer YES or NO to any of the questions. His answers seem to be very well thought out.

Aaliyah

Power of celebrity looms large at Jackson trial

By Alexandria Sage
Fri May 13, 9:02 AM ET

SANTA MARIA, Calif. (Reuters) - Day after day, Michael Jackson sits quietly in a California courtroom, looking sometimes pained and often frail, a small man in a dark suit at odds with the outsized celebrity that is the central theme of his criminal trial.

Without him singing a note or dancing a step, the magnetism of the self-styled King of Pop has been abundantly clear in three months of testimony from dozens of witnesses for both prosecution and defense.

The drama being playing out in court comes down to whether Jackson has used his celebrity power for good or for bad.

Prosecutors say the singer used his star power as a predatory tool to ingratiate himself with young boys and their families. Defense lawyers say opportunists have sought to profit from Jackson's generosity and to sully his love for children.

"A big star can attract a lot of people," said Robert Thompson, a professor of media and popular culture at Syracuse University. "Stardom is magnetic. When all of a sudden they're responding and reaching out, that can be very seductive."

J. Randy Taraborrelli, who has followed Jackson for more than two decades, said: "He's like a Pied Piper of pop music in the sense that he attracts kids and their families like no other celebrity in history."

In parts of a documentary shown to jurors, Jackson acknowledges that his celebrity has forced him into an isolated life that is always misconstrued by the media. "They're so quick to call you strange and weird, but it's almost like you're forced to be different," he says.

Thompson calls Jackson an "allegory for how enormous celebrity can completely alienate you from the real world," and notes that the singer's star power allows him to control his own environment.

"Just as God created the Universe and then wanted to people it, one could make the argument that when you create a Neverland with merry-go-rounds and animals then you want someone to play with you," Thompson said.

Jackson, 46, has pleaded innocent to charges of molesting a 13-year-old boy at Neverland in early 2003. He faces more than 20 years in jail if convicted.

'ALMOST GIDDY'

The adulation Jackson is capable of inspiring was on full display in court last week as Karlee Barnes, the sister of a boy who prosecutors say was abused by Jackson in the 1990s, staunchly defended the singer.

"You are positively thrilled to be friends with Michael Jackson," said prosecutor Gordon Auchincloss. "You seem to be almost giddy about it."

"I love him with all my heart," replied Barnes.

Her mother, Marie, testified that she once wrote a letter to Jackson saying she would kill herself if she had upset him by an outburst she had in his presence.

Another mother, Joy Robson, said she trusted the singer implicitly, telling jurors Jackson is "very pure in his love for children."

Even the mother of Jackson's current accuser gushed that Jackson was a father figure to her family.

Whatever his motives, witnesses have testified that Jackson opened his ranch in central California to dozens of children and their families who often spent weeks there.

Some of the boys also shared Jackson's bed -- with the consent of their mothers.

The mother of Jackson's current accuser told jurors she chose to ignore an incident on a private jet flight in which she witnessed Jackson licking her sleeping son's head.

When average people are in the presence of celebrity "you can then kind of overlook some of the things that would otherwise strike you in a rational moment as odd," Thompson said.

Even if the jury finds Jackson innocent, said Thompson, the story is still tragic.

"Michael Jackson got so famous at such a young age that he could literally withdraw from Planet Earth and create his own universe where his own rules applied," he said.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050513/p...e_jackson_dc_34

HeavenSent

C'mon Mark Geragos.

I've been waiting all morning for him to get up there to testify, whatever is in store is going to be interesting.