Official April 25 2005 Thread

Aaliyah

another article

Judge allows testimony by Michael Jackson's ex-wife Debbie Rowe
By LINDA DEUTSCH, AP Special Correspondent

Monday, April 25, 2005
Overruling defense objections, the judge in Michael Jackson's child molestation trial said Monday he will allow Jackson's ex-wife Debbie Rowe to testify as a prosecution witness.

Prosecutors want Rowe, the mother of two of his three children, to tell jurors that she was compelled to appear on a videotape praising Jackson as a good father and a humanitarian.

Prosecutors say Rowe did the interview under duress, having been told by Jackson associates that if she did not do it she would risk losing her visitation rights with her children, Paris and Prince Michael.

The defense objected on grounds that the testimony was part of a prosecution "desperation" tactic at the end of its case and had no relevance to the charges against Jackson.

In addition, the defense said that if Rowe testified they would seek to present the entire three hours of her video interview with Jackson associates as well as a tape recording she made secretly.

"She didn't say anything bad about Michael Jackson," said defense attorney Robert Sanger.

Sanger denied there were any threats to her during what he called "a tremendous amount of taped material."

"I just plain don't see the relevance to these proceedings," he said, noting that she had quarrels with Jackson aide Marc Schaffel, not with Jackson, and that her testimony would be a way to push her own agenda regarding Schaffel.

Prosecutor Ron Zonen said Rowe would tell jurors that she engaged in a "highly scripted interview and that the incentive was to suggest she would have visitation with her children if she did this."

Zonen said this would corroborate the testimony of the mother of the Jackson's young accuser who testified she also was pressured to appear in a video and speak from a script.

Sanger said there was no script, just questions that were written out.

Superior Court Judge Rodney S. Melville said, "I will admit the testimony and will look to ways to restrict that testimony."

The defense noted that Rowe had given up her parental rights to the children. Zonen said those rights had been recently restored and that she has a case under way in family court regarding visitation.

Jackson, 46, is accused of molesting a 13-year-old boy in February or March 2003, giving the boy alcohol and conspiring to hold the boy's family captive to get them to rebut a TV documentary in which Jackson appeared with the boy and said he allowed children to sleep in his bed. Jackson called the sleeping arrangement non-sexual.

In other developments, District Attorney Tom Sneddon unexpectedly announced without explanation that planned witness Christopher Carter, a former Jackson security guard, will not be testifying.

Carter was recently arrested in Las Vegas and is facing bank robbery, kidnapping and other charges and had indicated he would invoke the Fifth Amendment protection against self-incrimination if asked about his criminal case.

He was the only witness that had been expected to corroborate claims by the accuser and his family that Jackson gave alcohol to children and specifically to the accuser. Carter had been expected to say he saw Jackson share a Coke can fill with wine with the boy and that at another time the boy told him that Jackson said it was OK to drink.

In another key ruling, the judge decided to grant "use immunity" to a travel agent who also is invoking Fifth Amendment protection and is under investigation by federal authorities looking into the alleged secret videotaping of private conversations between Jackson and his attorney on a charter jet flight.

The form of immunity granted to Cynthia Montgomery means her testimony in the Jackson case cannot be used against her in any other proceeding. She had told the court last week she would refuse to testify about anything involving the charter jet flight.

Montgomery is expected to testify about a plan by Jackson associates to send the accuser's family to Brazil.

Melville also ruled that prosecutors may not call a man who was to testify that his young son once disappeared at Neverland for 90 minutes until he was found in Jackson's bedroom.

The jury, which was out of the courtroom most of the morning, returned to hear testimony by former Jackson employee Kassim Abdool, who was called to corroborate part of an account by Ralph Chacon, another ex-employee who says he saw Jackson commit a sex act on a child in 1992 or 1993.

Abdool said he saw Jackson and the boy, who later received a multimillion-dollar settlement from the singer, leaving a Jacuzzi area where their swim suits were lying next to each other on the floor.

He said that Jackson, wearing a towel, gave a piggyback ride to the boy, who wore a bathrobe.

Abdool also claimed to have been subjected to threats, saying a Jackson employee once told him he knew a hit man.

Abdool and Chacon were among former employees who lost a wrongful termination suit against Jackson in 1997 and were ordered to pay damages to the entertainer.

Under defense questioning, Abdool said he participated in an interview for a tabloid for which they received $15,000 and that he spent the money to fund the lawsuit

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file.../n121305D75.DTL

hot4uMichael

OH man listen to what BJ Hickman yelled during a presentation of Court TV:

SANTA MARIA, CA - MARCH 25: Michael Jackson supporter BJ Hickman yells, "Diane Diamond is a liar," while a Court TV crew films outside before Jackson's arrival at the Santa Barbara County Courthouse March 25, 2005 in Santa Maria, California. Jackson is charged in a 10-count indictment with molesting a boy, plying him with liquor and conspiring to commit child abduction, false imprisonment and extortion. He has pleaded innocent. (Photo by Christina Barany/Getty Images)
lol

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by knightrider3000
:lol: Well all i want to know is what is she saying on the stand?? lol gees
She's not on the stand and we don't know when she'll be called to the stand.

Aaliyah

TSColdMan (MJJF)

Rush transcript (unchecked) about what Dimond said about Oxman:

---
Welcome back to "closing arguments" let's go straight out to california. Standing by outside the courthouse, Diane Dimond. When's the latest, friend?

>> Well, you know, I'm not sure any of the other media actually put this together out here today so I'll tell you, nancy, you know Brian Oxman? He is one of the attorneys for Michael Jackson. There's tom mesereau and robert sanger and this morning we noticed that Brian Oxman approached by the bailiff and he was told, you know, come away from the defense table. And sit here in the audience instead and he got out. He made a phone call. As he was gone, the bailiff came and took the case and put it outside in the audience and he then was served some papers not by the bailiff but by the court clerk. She came over and gave him papers and I thought this was so bizarre. Why wasn't he sitting up with the defense team? Apparently he's been served and quite surprise to him substitution of attorney papers. In other words, he is off the team now. He didn't leave the courtroom. He's been the whole day. He hasn't participated in anything but I have confirmed he is given the substitution of attorney papers and I don't know if he's going to be here from here on out.

>> Diane, I'm stunned. Actually -- you remember when Jackson booted geragos and brothman?

>> Yes, yeah.

>> Right after the indictment came down and he got rid of the security team.

>> Yeah.

>> And I forgot, the whole house was cleaned out. Long story short -- I remember talking to you then about the e rat schism of Jackson no matter how good an attorney is, face it brothman is one heck of a street fighter.

>> Geragos is no slouch, either.

>> Yeah. Geragos is charmed. Jury likes him. Long story short, I thought that was unusual that Jackson dumped them two. This should not surprise us.

>> Well, you know, it does surprise me to this extent. Oxman is a family attorney for the fathers, specifically, randy Jackson for a long, long time and that's how he got involved in all of this. Randy became very close with Michael. Started, you know, arranging some of his affairs and suddenly Brian Oxman was here. Do you remember not long ago, nancy, we had some telephone conversations of him on a cell phone yelling in a parking lot screaming about the fact that Michael wanted him to fire mesereau before the opening statements? Well, I don't know. There's been some sort of power shift there and now appears as if Oxman is out.

>> You know, I doubt pretty seriously that any of the lawyers themselves wanted to oust another lawyer for a power bid. This is kind of straight. This is kind of straight from Jackson. One lawyer -- even if you're having an argument, you want to present an united front. My investigator and I would go back and forth the whole way through trial. No way would I want him to leave. Once they're familiar with the case, they've worked the case, they know the case. Diane, you know. It's so hard to bring another lawyer up to speed --

>> Well, it is impossible. Impossible.

>> What do you think was behind it, Diane?

>> Well, there's been reported that randy and Michael are not getting along very well and this was randy's attorney and randy brought him in and maybe this is an offshoot of that. Hey, guess what? The judge ruled Debbie Rowe can testify. As we have been reporting, we expect she might be here as early as wednesday.

whisperAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we're not going to get an un-spun story from Dimond. So I'll wait to find out what really happened b/c I saw Mike hugging Oxman this morning when they went into court and Oxman didn't leave court today. So whateva it is, I'm damn near positive it ain't all dramatic as Dimond is playing it.

Mack Dogg

Originally posted by aaliyah
TSColdMan (MJJF)

Rush transcript (unchecked) about what Dimond said about Oxman:

---
Welcome back to "closing arguments" let's go straight out to california. Standing by outside the courthouse, Diane Dimond. When's the latest, friend?

>> Well, you know, I'm not sure any of the other media actually put this together out here today so I'll tell you, nancy, you know Brian Oxman? He is one of the attorneys for Michael Jackson. There's tom mesereau and robert sanger and this morning we noticed that Brian Oxman approached by the bailiff and he was told, you know, come away from the defense table. And sit here in the audience instead and he got out. He made a phone call. As he was gone, the bailiff came and took the case and put it outside in the audience and he then was served some papers not by the bailiff but by the court clerk. She came over and gave him papers and I thought this was so bizarre. Why wasn't he sitting up with the defense team? Apparently he's been served and quite surprise to him substitution of attorney papers. In other words, he is off the team now. He didn't leave the courtroom. He's been the whole day. He hasn't participated in anything but I have confirmed he is given the substitution of attorney papers and I don't know if he's going to be here from here on out.

>> Diane, I'm stunned. Actually -- you remember when Jackson booted geragos and brothman?

>> Yes, yeah.

>> Right after the indictment came down and he got rid of the security team.

>> Yeah.

>> And I forgot, the whole house was cleaned out. Long story short -- I remember talking to you then about the e rat schism of Jackson no matter how good an attorney is, face it brothman is one heck of a street fighter.

>> Geragos is no slouch, either.

>> Yeah. Geragos is charmed. Jury likes him. Long story short, I thought that was unusual that Jackson dumped them two. This should not surprise us.

>> Well, you know, it does surprise me to this extent. Oxman is a family attorney for the fathers, specifically, randy Jackson for a long, long time and that's how he got involved in all of this. Randy became very close with Michael. Started, you know, arranging some of his affairs and suddenly Brian Oxman was here. Do you remember not long ago, nancy, we had some telephone conversations of him on a cell phone yelling in a parking lot screaming about the fact that Michael wanted him to fire mesereau before the opening statements? Well, I don't know. There's been some sort of power shift there and now appears as if Oxman is out.

>> You know, I doubt pretty seriously that any of the lawyers themselves wanted to oust another lawyer for a power bid. This is kind of straight. This is kind of straight from Jackson. One lawyer -- even if you're having an argument, you want to present an united front. My investigator and I would go back and forth the whole way through trial. No way would I want him to leave. Once they're familiar with the case, they've worked the case, they know the case. Diane, you know. It's so hard to bring another lawyer up to speed --

>> Well, it is impossible. Impossible.

>> What do you think was behind it, Diane?

>> Well, there's been reported that randy and Michael are not getting along very well and this was randy's attorney and randy brought him in and maybe this is an offshoot of that. Hey, guess what? The judge ruled Debbie Rowe can testify. As we have been reporting, we expect she might be here as early as wednesday.

Stop looking at court TV
:nonono: